February 2019 Moms

UO Thursday (9.13)

etnyahetnyah member
edited September 2018 in February 2019 Moms
UO has been missing for the last few weeks, so I’m taking the liberty of doing today. Bring it.

DS born 2/18/2019
DD born 4/1/2023
Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024

Re: UO Thursday (9.13)

• Thank you, @grebretso! This is one of my favorite threads! I'll think through all of my opinions today and post later. :D
  • Loading the player...
  • I say "we are pregnant," because he puts up with a lot. I also say "we went to grad school," even though it was really just him we were in it together from the beginning.

My UO, I hate being too busy. I don't want my kids in dance, and soccer, and taekwondo, and gymnastics, etc. I know they will eventually talk me into it, but I am postponing for as long I can.
  • @hannahbananas11 I’m not sure what it says about me that I agree with ALL of that.... even though I’m so obsessed with my cat that he’s my profile picture. He’s cute I guess? ...like a grizzly bear. 
  • It’s like wanting the guy that doesn’t like you back  :D
  • @madreofdragons Exactly. If that guy is a frat dude who frequently trashes the house and pukes after a late night of drinking (and wakes you up with the ensuing racket), then leaves you to clean up the mess while he hides in a dark room playing video games.
  • I don’t think we’ll  ever get another cat for those reasons. Our kitty was awesome and did NONE of those things and was super affectionate but I have a feeling she was the exception and not the rule. 
  • @megpants209 My best friend has a cat who is otherwise terrible, but greets people at the door and actually likes to be pet (including on his belly!). He is the only one I've met who's not an asshole, and I grew up with cats. They're not all mean, they just mostly don't care. :D
  • Thank god I've never had a cat who pees on things though, that kitty would probably get the boot. And none of my cats have walked on tables or counters. The biggest problem with my current cat is shedding and puking hairballs, because she's extremely fluffy longhaired. I love her to death, but I don't think I'll ever have a longhaired cat again...
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I love my cat but he pees on stuff. Mostly my bed. But he has chronic kidney disease so sometimes it really isn't his fault. But sometimes he does it to be a jerk. 
  • My cat is also the exception to the rule. If she sheds its minimal enough that I never see it, she's never peed or puked on anything, doesn't ever climb on counters/tables, and she is the most lovey and patient cat I've ever met. When my daughter was 8 months old she'd lay directly on top of our cat and the cat would just lay there purring. In fact right now she's spooning my back purring. XD we will never get another cat after this one because we lucked out way too much with her!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • @becks_726- My SO is also allergic and dealt with it for a few years. He's allergic to everything though, so he's been getting allergy shots for a long while now... I have hope it will mean another kitty friend someday!
  • @becks_726 I agree with the needy dog annoyance. My vizsla mix wants to be as close to me as possible at all times. He just jumped into bed to try to snuggle, but I told him to get off. So at the moment, he's lying in his crate (in my room) looking at me with doleful eyes.
    This is an almost-nightly ritual.
  • edited September 2018
    My dad is a beekeeper. After getting some jars of honey from him and seeing how docile honey bees are, I'm beginning to think that honey bees are the ideal pet. Although they're not fans of being snuggled...
  • I'm on team no cats, luckily DH who grew up with cats has also expressed never wanting one again!
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Team no cats. I am allergic and I have a dog that is basically a cat in attitude. I’ve also been bitten by an abnormal amount of cats, so no thanks. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• I have a cat. Got her when she was an adorabke kitten out of weakness. I couldnt say no. But before her I always said I wouldnt get a cat, I really dislike them. And I will not get another. That being said she is a good cat. Takes a lot of punishment from DD and somehow knows the right time for snuggling.  I agree about little dogs too. When we get one itll be a big dog. German sheppard probably. Or a boxer. 
  • +1 cat hater. They're also so volatile. They'll be rubbing up against your legs for pets, then when you finally oblige to petting they'll bite or scratch the shit out of you. Evil. Luckily H is really allergic, so even if my kids ever want one the answer is no. Team dog 4 life. 
  • We always had a cat growing up. Some behaved better than others! Our current cat is great. Super low maintenance and chill. We also have a small dog, which I would do. She is part chiuahaha part terrier. While she does bark if she hears someone at the door she is amazing other than that. She is a snuggler, easy to bring with us when we travel because she sleeps on my lap, and is really more like a cat than a dog. Doesnt bite but has nipped a couple of times in situations where kids rush at her. Not sure I would ever chance another small dog because she is so awesome but I have no regrets about her. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @megpants209 chihuahuas are the worst type of dog ever created. Tiny, mean, and ungodly ugly wastes of space, all of them. 

I actually prefer cats cats over dogs any day of the week, but I’m so damn allergic to them that if I touch one then touch my face, I’m a snotty red eyed mess. I like dogs fine, but they smell worse and are more needy than toddlers. Cats just want to eat and be left alone, snuggles only when it’s convenient,  which pretty much describes me so..  :D:D:D
  • I always thought I was a dog person, but our old neighbor had this beautiful Russian gray cat that would hunt for mice in our yard and garage. Wishing he was still around because the mice are out of control (fortunately not in our house). Cats aren’t all bad.
  • I love cats but I'm a bit over ours. He keeps peeing on our bed and always right before I'm ready to collapse from exhaustion. I try to remind myself that he has chronic kidney disease and on some level probably can't help it. But then I also see him strolling by his litter box with no problem so part of me also thinks he's just being an ass since he always picks our bed to pee on.
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I could never deal with the neediness of a dog. Having to walk them in all kinds of weather and pick up their poop? No thanks. Cats are either fine with being lazy indoor cats, or they venture out on their own. I love dogs as long as I don't have to take care of them myself!

I realize I'm saying this as an expecting mother who will have to deal with a LOT of poop and child supervision, but at least the idea is that the kid will grow up and turn into their own independent person. Dogs? Not so much.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I really really wanted a dog, DH was... Ambivalent. So we compromised on a small dog. Under 20 lbs was the deal and we ended up with a 12 lbs mutt. He is a particular kind of small dog. Yes, he has an aggressive streak, he voices his discontentment and he has a strong sense of 'mine!'. Conversely he is one of the most confident dogs I've ever known - scared of nothing, startles only very rarely and always game for an adventure. I'm still not a small dog person but he is an absolute pleasure to have around more often than not (and that was not obvious from the get go!) and his sizes is ultra convenient. 
    I've concluded that the small vs big dog debate is really more of a breed and specific personalities thing for me. 
  • @grebretso exactly. I LOVE other people’s dogs, but mine just gave me anxiety, so I was glad to find them new happy homes.
  • I've got two large dogs. One (our Great Dane) acts like a cat: wants us around, but not cuddling with her. Mainly tolerates us because we provide food and rump scratches. She's very tolerant, though, and has never growled or nipped at anyone.

Our other, a vizsla, is exactly as @grebretso describes. He loves to lay on my feet while I go to the bathroom, and tries to get as much of himself smooshed up against me or H in bed. Gets anxious if we're not all in the same room, and waits by the window for hours when H (his favorite human) is out. But I absolutely love it, and plan to adopt more dogs just like him in the future. Give me all of the lovey snuggly big dogs!
  • Saying I hate our dog would be a teeny bit dramatic, but he’s definitely a jerk. If he wasn’t so sweet and wonderful with DS I’d have found a good home for him a while ago. But he is still very much a puppy so he’s super needy. 
  • @hannahbananas11 I am with you on the big snuggle pups! I’ve fostered close to a dozen pitties and they’re all super snuggly, attached big babies. I adore it. They all seem to think they’re about 10 lbs and are not completely happy unless every inch of them is against a person. It melts my heart! 
  • @megpants209 Pitties are so sweet! They're especially patient with kids, from what I've seen. My best friend also fosters them like you do, and was a foster fail with her first one, who's now best friends with my Great Dane.