October 2018 Moms

Med-Free Discussion: The Home Stretch

As we are getting closer to baby day, I thought it'd be good to bring this topic up again.

What are some of the techniques you've learned/used prior that you plan on using this time for pain management?

What techniques have you found didn't work in previous labor(s)?

Anything else?

Re: Med-Free Discussion: The Home Stretch

• My second labor was the best and that one I had a really supportive awesome nurse! But apart from that I had dim lights, sat on the ball pretty much the entire time and had music playing lightly in the background! 
    I plan to do the same with this one
    quiet, calm and relaxed as possible it really helped me focus on each contraction as it came and relax and let baby come on out! 

• I had an epidural with my first, but with my second I was in disbelief that I was in labor (3 weeks early) so I missed the opportunity for meds (not that i regret it at all, it was an easier recovery).  So besides being stubborn, I'd say the most helpful thing for me was vocalization.  I'm normally a very quiet, shy person but during labor moaning through a contraction was the only thing that helped. Also being on my knees, leaning over something....I absolutely couldn't be sitting or laying down either time.  I didn't' want anyone touching me either.  I am a fairly independent/stubborn person so its not surprising to me that I wanted to labor without anyone trying to "help" me.  I mostly just wanted to be left alone and monitored/observed from afar so I could go within myself to labor but still had someone physically present around me in case I needed help.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @dellusion I'm pretty sure DH will be the only person allowed to touch me during labor.
  • I am currently reading “the birth partner” and DH is reading it next. We don’t plan to have a doula but this book has been so great. It’s not biased toward one method- offers
    all the info in a positive but unemotional way. 
    This is my third but it will be my first med free attempt. I will be induced Bc of the diabetes, so that complicated things (I will need to be on a monitor and IV) but I should still have some mobility: access to sit, stand, lay, or bounce on the birthing ball. 
    So far the techniques that seem most appealing to me are rhythmic breathing, and massage/ counter pressure. But who knows in actual labor. I know I am a loud person generally but I tend to be silent in intimidating situations. I am completely silent on thrill rides for example- I never scream out of fear or excitement. I turn inward. I think this may be the same. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a med free birth with DS and with this one I am like meh, we will see what happens. We JUST moved so I am looking for a doula who was as good as my last one but I am not sure it is going to happen. I would like to try med free again but am also open where as last time I was like no way, I don't want any drugs. The thing that helped me last time was laboring an hour in the shower with the water on my back, my doula compressing my hips as I leaned on the side of the bed. Yes, moaning out the breaths were very helpful. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like it to be quiet and relatively distraction free. We have the option to labor in water (but no water births  :( ) so I would like to try that this time. I prefer staying as mobile as possible for as long as I can. There's a chance dh won't be with me for the labor this time, so I will keep my walks shorter distances from my room due to my hip pain. I plan to do med free, but I'm also open to some help if necessary though I recall one medicine made me extremely loopy one time. I wish I remember what it was called because that feeling is something I don't want to repeat. 
  • I'm hoping I can get a saline lock or otherwise be fairly mobile and free to move about the room. No tub in the room, but we do have showers. When I told my doc a few weeks ago I wanted to do med free (and low interventions) he seemed supportive as long as everything looks ok. My hospital has a few wireless monitors that they typically give to med-free mamas, so hopefully I can get one of those, or at least not have to be hooked up to the machine all the time.

My plan is to just breath through the contractions and try not to tighten up, and have DH apply ALL the counter pressure and massages, and be supportive/encouraging/knowledgeable about whatever "options" the hospital offers me. My hospital has an extremely high c-section rate (like almost 50%), probably due to it delivering the most babies in the state, and accepting a lot of high risk patients, and maybe, women just opt for a repeat c-section over VBAC (I don't personally know of any woman who wanted a vbac). That being said, I'd like to labor at home as much as possible so fx my dr lets me lol!
  • I'm assuming that I will be induced this time just like with DS1 and DS2.  My plan is to go into the hospital and my ob will break my water then I will walk for about an hour. After an hour of walking I will start pitocin. The pitocin kicked in right away with DS2. Standing and breathing through contractions was the only way I was able to get through them. I plan to let the nurses know as soon as I arrive that I don't want an epi and please don't offer it. 
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Visualizations, moving/changing positions frequently, making sure I pee every 30 minutes and stay hydrated, counter pressure - we only know the hip press - what other ones are there??

Just taking it one contraction at a time,not getting cervical checks as I know I would think if it took my 2 hours to go from 4 to 5 I have at least 10 hours of contractions left and I would freak out. While it may take longer it may also be shorter, I just want to take it one at a time because even Dr's can't say for sure how much longer it will be with checks  Also have a tub and shower I can labor/birth on so I will use those! 
  • meltonjlmeltonjl member
    edited September 2018
    There's a natural birth thread and this thread, so I am not sure where these thoughts fit the best...for those of you who wish to have a med free/natural birth what are you doing at this point to prepare?  I started a thread about evening primrose oil a few weeks ago...there were some varying responses on that.  I started that last night.  What else are you all trying?  I had an acupuncture appointment, but rescheduled due to my hospital visit.  I go next week.  Drinking red raspberry leaf tea, trying to eat dates when I can stomach that amount of sugar--thinking of getting some brazil nut milk this week.  Sorry to ramble!
  • I've been doing chiro appts due to sciatica but I typically do this in the last month to get proper alignment in my pelvis.  I ordered some RRL tea and will be starting that (I'm at the tail end of October so I'm a little late to everything).  Other than that I'm mostly mentally preparing - reading, practicing visualizations etc.  I think the mental factor is HUGE to get you through the physical factor.  Oh yeah, also working on putting together a birth plan in the next couple of weeks. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I was a little disappointed to find out that my hospital doesn't offer N2O or tens units which I was counting on for a more natural labor.

So I'm trying not to freak out with the loss of those pain management options and focusing on working on my labor ball, staying hydrated, and taking my RRT supplements and eating dates when I remember. 

I plan to labor at home as long as I can and will use the shower and massage to help get me through. I really don't want to have to take pitocin until the active third stage and I really don't want an epidural. 
  • I was a little disappointed to find out that my hospital doesn't offer N2O or tens units which I was counting on for a more natural labor.

I plan to labor at home as long as I can and will use the shower and massage to help get me through. I really don't want to have to take pitocin until the active third stage and I really don't want an epidural. 
    Yeah, my new hospital doesn't have the gas either, which sucks.  I wanted to try that lol.  My doula will be bringing a tens unit so hoping tha thelps.

May I ask why pitocin in active labor?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @dellusion You mentioned that your recovery with your med-free birth was better. What about it do you think made it better? I’ve heard this now from several people that they felt so much better after birth when they didn’t have an epidural vs when they did. For this reason I am considering going med-free, but my sister had an epidural when she had her baby this week and said she would definitely recommend it. I’m sure everyone is different, but I’m curious to hear about your experience!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @tropical1982 I've chosen to do active management of the third stage of labor to help reduce the risk of hemorrhaging. This is after baby has been delivered and the pitocin helps to encourage a long contraction to help the placenta detach.

The other option is Physiological which means that no medical intervention is taken. 
  • I had a very difficult and long labor with #4 and I'll likely be induced at 39 weeks again. I have horrible hip pain so walking the halls is going to be tough. We do have the option of laboring in the tub. Has anyone found that useful? Why or why not?
  • @tropical1982 I've chosen to do active management of the third stage of labor to help reduce the risk of hemorrhaging. This is after baby has been delivered and the pitocin helps to encourage a long contraction to help the placenta detach.
    Our hospital does this by default.  They will not give you pitocin before delivery of baby, but after delivery it's pretty standard to get the placenta out and reduce hemorrhaging.  Thats probably part of the reason you have to have a hep-lock in the whole time.
  • Tens unit  If you want one go buy one you can get them pretty cheap now! 
  • Been reading and watching a lot of hypnobirthing tutorials/videos and so far they've helped quite a bit even with basic things like needles and identifying stressors. Also started trying perineal massage. My major goal is to just not panic during labor, and if keeping myself calm enough results in being able to go med-free, I'd be really happy with that.

I bought a package of RRT but my OB didn't want me to start drinking it until "39 weeks". Been making date brownie bites though, that way it isn't much of a sacrifice! 
  • @spartan4life that's part of the reason I'm trying not to be dissapointed if i can't get the epi this time. No epi with DS, but I have nothing to compare that to. Other than having the shakes for about 20 minutes from adrenaline...I was golden after labour. Got up to pee almost immediately, was walking around, no complications at all other than painful post labour contractions but everyone gets that at some point. 
  • @tropical1982 @beccajean71 my dr told me everyone gets pitocin to deliver the placenta  :/ So yep, I have to have the IV placed, but it can be saline locked. 
  • @tropical1982 it's standard at our hospital too, but you can opt out. I was just saying that I don't want pitocin before that time.

@SweetSweetTooth my mother has one, she works in alternative pain management for our hospital system, but the idea of doing it on my own makes me nervous. Like can it be put on wrong and have a negative impact? I've thought about bringing it, but it just makes me nervous since none of the staff has been trained with it.
  • @nikimelon would love to see the date brownie recipe!
  • meltonjl said:
    @nikimelon would love to see the date brownie recipe!
    Me too.  We LOVE dates at our house!
  • I didn't know the tens unit was a thing until someone mentioned it in my natural birthing class last week. Can anyone elaborate on how it works and how effective it is? I don't think it's a very common thing in the states (according to google anyway)

I'm already cramping so MW recommended against RRL tea for me but suggested the evening primrose oil so I'll probably start that tomorrow night. I think the closer we get the more I'm worried I will doubt myself in labor and want the meds. I'm very anti-epi so I know I will be extremely disappointed if I give in to that. Sadly our hospital doesnt provide the gas either so only other option is narcotics. DH is confident though and we've talked a lot about the support I may need. I went ahead and printed out a labor cheat sheet for him too with phrases or pain management techniques I think I'll want in different stages. 
  • Here's the date brownie recipe I've been using: https://detoxinista.com/date-sweetened-flourless-brownie-recipe/ 

You def need a food processor for this but they are actually pretty tasty!