December 2018 Moms
Options

Placenta Encapsulation- yay or nay?

The title says it all I guess! Are you planning on encapsulating your placenta? I've not done it with my past 3, but I tend to get pretty bad PPD and if there's something that could potentially help that, I'm all ears. So, I'd love to hear your pros and cons and reasons why or why not! I'm just starting to do the research but there's only one lady near me that does it who I would trust to do it, so I need to schedule her soon if I'm gonna do it! 
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Placenta Encapsulation- yay or nay?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn’t do it. Simply because we can make an organ doesn’t mean we benefit from eating it.

I’m pretty sure @Gwyneddlesliegrace is pro-encapsulation... haven’t seen her in a while though. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @katy0990 That article is so interesting, because the woman behind Mama Natural experienced similar issues when she consumed her placenta, I believe. I haven’t read the post since the last time I was pregnant but here’s her take: https://www.mamanatural.com/placenta-eating-experience/
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon That is eerily similar...
  • Options
    Yeah, no. As PP have said, there is zero evidence that placentophagy helps with anything, and there are definite risks. 

If you are concerned about PPD/PPA, you can monitor your mood, have trusted others to let you know if they notice any concerns, and talk to your doctor or baby’s pediatrician if you have *any* question or concern. If you have had a history of PPD, it’s also reasonable to start medication immediately postpartum (especially if it’s helped in the past) or to schedule a therapy visit within the first few weeks postpartum.