November 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Monitors (5/13)

I'm starting this thread early today because I'm 2 weeks behind on the product spotlight schedule. Whoops! Sorry!
----

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... baby monitors

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 

• Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks:
  • Favorite [baby monitor]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [baby monitor] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [baby monitor] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [baby monitors]?:

For FTMs

• [Baby monitor] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, click this link.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Monitors (5/13)

• We used a video baby monitor by Infant Optics. I would give a link for it, but it looks like it's not sold anymore. It wasn't perfect, but it worked for what we needed. Occasionally the monitor would start beeping saying it lost connection with the camera, but all we had to do was turn it off and back on again and it would be fine. We'll have to see if it still works or if we'll need to buy a new one. 

Before we had DD, I didn't really think we'd need a video monitor. I thought sound only would be just fine, but I was so glad we had the video monitor. It really helped with peace of mind being able to see the baby sleeping or rolling around, and know they were completely safe. Without the video, I probably would have had to peek in her room all the time to make sure she was okay, and I wouldn't want to risk waking her up.

Random fact about baby monitors that took me and MH months to figure out--they interfere with your wifi! I spent so many nights after DD was born trying to figure out why Netflix would no longer work or kept lagging. We finally figured out it was because of our monitor! I'm not tech savvy, so I don't know ways to fix it, but once DD was asleep, I would turn the monitor off, then just turn it on occasionally for a few seconds at a time to check on her, then turn it back off. That way it didn't interrupt my TV shows.  :p 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • eahayeseahayes member
    Love this topic (and this thread spotlight in general)— no specific monitor in mind yet (FTM here) but I know my husband wants one totally WiFi and gadget-esque.. like the nest or similar. Any pros or cons to this that you guys can think of? 
  • Loading the player...
  • ClobertClobert member
    We started with audio monitors because I thought video was unnecessary in a small apartment, but got a video down the road.  It’s nice to see if baby is actually awake or is just fussing in their sleep so you don’t wake them and to check on them when their moving more.  I don’t remember the brands.  I liked one that had the temperature of the room.  Good night vision picture is important. 
  • We went with an audio only one and it's still kicking, no complaints either, https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-Monitor-Temperature-Sensor/dp/B00E1CIGAE/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1526309683&sr=8-1&keywords=avent+baby+monitor&dpID=41yIT3vaG5L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.

We'll probably use the same monitor with the new baby and then I'm tempted to just get some non-baby, wifi enabled cameras and install them in the rooms and just use them with my phone.  I'm thinking it's probably a cheaper option than a video baby monitor but I haven't done a lot of research yet.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited May 2018
    We had a summer infant video monitor (now discontinued model), and added a second camera for #2, and then I did in home daycare for awhile and added camera #3. We’ll be using it again! No WiFi or anything (people hacking in freak me out, and we didn’t find it necessary). We liked being able to see if they were actually sleeping or not, and if they were crying in their sleep, or actually awake and needed something. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• We used this infant optics one: https://www.amazon.com/Infant-Optics-DXR-8-Monitor-Interchangeable/dp/B00ECHYTBI

We had to get a new one because DS put the monitor into DH's water while I was at work. We needed a new camera for baby #2 anyway. Like PP above, we didn't want a wifi one to avoid worrying about being hacked. Our old handheld used to say out of range when it got close to other electronics which was annoying, but this one doesn't seem to do that (and my friend who has the same one doesn't have any problem with hers either) so I wonder if my first was a little faulty? I definitely recommend video over just sound.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• We have a motorola one. It always works well, though it is our second one since the charging cord stopped working on the first and we had to replace it. We have traveled with it a lot too.

One feature available on many monitors that is nice to have is the remote pan/tilt/zoom. You will be able to move the camera remotely if you can't see what your little sneak is up to!

• Had a motorola baby video monitor. Loved it. Died about 4 months in.
    Bought a cheap Le Fun ($45) one off amazon. No monitor, I just use my phone or Ipad.  It's lasted about a year and still going strong. I have 2 actually, one in the living room so I can peek at him while I am working. I can move it around, I can talk to them, record (although it gets stuck a lot on record). I think you can even put a SIM card in it and record continuously if you were using it for like home monitoring. Not sure since I don't use that feature.
    Anyway the only bad thing is sometimes it gets stuck. Which is not a huge deal for me since I use a regular sound only monitor at night.  I love it. 
  • We have a motorola one. It always works well, though it is our second one since the charging cord stopped working on the first and we had to replace it. We have traveled with it a lot too.

One feature available on many monitors that is nice to have is the remote pan/tilt/zoom. You will be able to move the camera remotely if you can't see what your little sneak is up to!
    Yes to the above, especially as they get older. I also really like that I can talk over mine. I didn't use that feature when DS was a baby, but I've used it a lot through toddlerhood.
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• bumping this up to ask - Does anyone have a monitor with two cameras (and the ability to switch between feeds) that they can recommend?

• @lifesabeach85

Check out this item at Target https://www.target.com/p/motorola-5-video-baby-monitor-with-two-cameras-mbp50-g2/-/A-52855675

The one we have is 3 years old, this is the newer version, but I love it. Motorola, 2 cameras, I can view one at a time, and switch back and forth either manually, or it’ll automatically switch back and forth every few seconds. Or, you can do a split screen and see both at the same time. I can play music from it, speak to them through it. Works great. 
  • @lifesabeach85 I don’t have any experience with it yet, but I got this one off our registry 
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WR6HRM/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_hTCLBbZTBH0SE
    DH’s brother and his wife had a baby a little over a year ago and they used the older model on this monitor and love it. I’ll actually get it this week and get to play around with it and set it up. It has a lot of nice features like night vision and 2 way audio.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lifesabeach85 I’m sure our model is long gone since it’s almost 6 years old, but we have a summer infant monitor that was used extensively (I did in home daycare for awhile, so actually had 3 cameras at nap time that it rotated between all of them every few seconds), and it’s what I plan to keep using for the baby! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• bumping this up to ask - Does anyone have a monitor with two cameras (and the ability to switch between feeds) that they can recommend?
    see my comment above. I now have 3 lefun cameras and will probably get a 4th for new baby.  no monitor but my phone/ipad works very well for this purpose.  
  • We have a Motorola video one that has lasted through two kids since 2009 lol. It scans back and forth between two kids rooms. We did have to get it a new battery a few years ago. But still, pretty amazing that it’s been used nightly since November 2009 and is still rocking.