February 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps & Accessories

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's....Breast Pumps & Accessories!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.

**As a note: With the Affordable Care Act, breastfeeding benefits were enacted in most health care plans in the US. Reach out ot your specific insurance company to find out specific benefits as every plan varies.  Click the following link for the Healthcare.gov information: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/breast-feeding-benefits/

For S+TMs:

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]:

• Link/picture:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):

• What you like about it:

• What you don't like about it, if anything:

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?:

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]:

For FTMs:

• [Breast Pump & Accessories] you're interested in:

• Link/picture:

• Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past product spotlights, add suggestions for future spotlights see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZB2b3JaDWH7WnSQ0ZZMP4cMmKjUHFjlPanVeDTuzPY/edit?usp=sharing

Please feel free to add in suggestions at the bottom if there is anything you want to discuss... if you can't edit the spreadsheet, tag me below or shoot me a message.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

T & J 5.9.09
MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
PVM 5.8.12
GWM 3.17.15
RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps & Accessories

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: I have a Medela PISA I used for two babies. I also have a Medela handpump I use when the PISA isn't usable and I have a car adapter for my PISA.

• Link/picture: https://www.target.com/p/medela-pump-in-style-advanced-breast-pump-with-on-the-go-tote/-/A-10762141

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Free - Got it through insurance

• What you like about it: Works great - never had any real issues.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: Heavy. Not very mobile.

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I am up for a free one (since it's been three years). I may get another PISA or I might get a Spectra if it's offered. We have hospital grade pumps at work, so I'll get a kit for that to use when I return to work.

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: Get a milkies milk saver and use it while nursing (on the opposite side) early on. It catches the let down from the side you're not nursing on and you can build up a good stash just doing this.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: I used a Medela PISA with my son.

Link/picture: https://a.co/d/9MWogSO

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I paid $140 and bought the basic pump starter set since I didn't need the cooler bag or a travel tote.  

What you like about it:   I liked it well enough and liked that I could get replacement pieces/ whatever at any of my local stores.  I am a SAHM so I kept my pump in one spot to use after bedtime/ early mornings so didn't need to take it with me, so ease of portability wasn't a concern. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: I thought it was sort of loud. 

Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Because I paid for my pump out of pocket (the ACA breasfeeding support wasn't in place when I had my son), I'm going to use my benefits to get a new one. I already set up my information with Aeroflow.com - they're a middle man of sorts that will check your insurance and then let you know what you qualify for.  I'll be getting a Spectra. 

Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: As for accessories... I really liked my Hands Free Pumping Bra (Simple Wishes brand) for when I did have to pump out and about. I liked the Target brand milk freezer bags best.  The Gel Soothies from Lanisoh were a godsend in the beginning.  Earth Mama Angel Baby makes a nipple butter that is ahhhmazng - way better than any greasy Lanolin.  Invest in a few water bottles - I love my Hydroflasks because they keep the water super cold - I was SO THIRSTY while nursing so I always had one on me.  I know some people don't love it but I used my Boppy all the time (going to get a new one this go round because I beat the crap out of the old one!).  

I also suggest setting yourself up a "nursing kit".  I kept chapstick, hand lotion, my EMAB nip butter, water bottle, snacks (granola bars & trail mix were easiest to have on hand), burp cloth. It was super handy to have everything within reach when you're basically tied down to nurse.  

And... if you have other little kids (my daughter was 6 weeks shy of 3 when my son was born), know that it is PERFECTLY OKAY to rely upon a Kindle/ the tv for your big kid when you're nursing the little kid.  It makes life A LOT easier when you just give in - ha! I'd also make my DD a helper - she'd grab a burp cloth or a spare diaper.  I'd also have her bring me books and we'd read while nursing.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Loading the player...
  • I second @okayestmom12 on the nursing kit/station - big hydroflask, snacks, EMAB butter (the only one you don't have to wipe off before nursing, too), Soothies, burp cloth, a charger. I also use the boppy and love it. I'm getting a new one since my old one (used for two babies and years of DH's gaming) needs to be replaced.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: I used the Medela PISA also

• Link/picture:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medela-Pump-In-Style-Advanced-Double-Electric-Breast-Pump-with-Tote/21804639

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I went through insurance and I could have gotten just the pump for free but I got it with the tote bag and other stuff for $99. The tote was very useful to me since I had to bring it to work everyday

• What you like about it: it was easy to use and very portable 

• What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing really

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I might try the milk saver @kayjay44 mentioned. Last time I just held a towel over the other side 

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: the boppy really helped me in the beginning because he had a terrible time latching but after probably 3 or 4 months I didn’t really use it any more. I had the Lansinoh handsfree bra and loved it. I tried the medela one first and didn’t like it at all. The target brand freezer bags were good and I did learn about half way through that you save a lot of space in the freezer if you lay the bags down lol

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]:

I used the Medela PISA

Also had an Ameda hand pump I got for free at the ER when I went in for appendicitis 

• Link/picture:

Medela Pump in Style Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump with On the Go Tote, 2-Phase Expression Technology with One-touch Let-down Button, Adjustable Speed and Vacuum https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HWXCJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i3ZHBbB120C5A

Ameda One Hand Breast Pump - BPA Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E9SW7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_M1ZHBb3V9CXEJ

Both were free

• What you like about it:

The motor to my Medela started to die after 10 months of use, which is partially why DD was weened at 10/11 months. The hand pump was surprisingly efficient, but will wear your hand out, and you can’t double pump with it.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: The slow death of the motor killed my supply

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?:

Milkies that @k@kayjay44 mentioned

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]:

Instead of buying a double pumping bra, I took and old tank top with a built in bra and cut two holes in it. It worked really well, and was free :)

I’m also a fan of the Kiinde milk storage accessories and bottles. DD could hold the bottle herself more easily than the generic ones. I also like that you don’t have to transfer the milk into a bottle, you just pop the pouch into the older and stick a nipple on it. Don’t buy the pouch warmer though, a bowl of hot water works faster:

Kiinde Breast Milk Storage Twist Starter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXSPL24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5f0HBb9FMSXGT

• This is the pumping bra I used - super easy and you can put it on over your clothes while pumping only. Looks like BDSM gear or some weird sex clothes, but I swear it’s the best. https://www.amazon.com/LactaMed-Simplicity-Hands-Free-Bra/dp/B00JAO6TT8

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: I only used one, in 2014, the Medela pump in style

• Link/picture: won't let me download picture right now so here's the link. It was basically this but the case was all black. https://www.insuredpumpsplus.com/product/medela-pump-in-style-advanced-double-electric-breast-pump-2/

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I think it was 100% free for me through insurance

• What you like about it: double-electric, seemed to work well enough. Dial to adjust the force of suction. Option to use both or just one (breast) at a time. The case had built in space to house the plug, bottles and ice packs, which was convenient.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: I used it a lot, since i worked full time starting at 6 weeks but the "oomph" seemed to be wearing out just as I was weaning (DD was 1.5 yo). Didn't seem to be as powerful at the end there, even though I turned the dial all the way up.

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: Not sure if it matters for everyone, but when you get a script for a pump from the doctor, have them specify "double electric." Mine did. Just to make sure the DME company won't try to stick you with only manual options or something.

You may want to get both reusable and disposable breast pads to see which one you like better. I know a lot of people that preferred the disposable but I found them to be more soggy and the reusable ones were much more comfortable.

I second the boppy. Didn't use it for very long but it was helpful and doubled as a good tummy time or positional pillow for DD at play.

One thing I didn't know as a ftm: I had heard so many stories of people having trouble with supply. So I tried all the tricks from the beginning that I'd heard to keep your supply up, like pumping for a little bit longer after all the milk was done coming out. DD had a little trouble with nursing in the beginning and I was frustrated trying to figure out what was wrong. I found out after a little while that most of it was due to oversupply. I didn't NEED any of those supply tricks, they were actually causing an oversupply PROBLEM. There is such thing as too much of a good thing!
    • Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: spectra s2 for the win!! Used Medela in the hospital and my Spectra was so much easier and smaller to have at work etc.

• Link/picture:  https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Baby-USA-Electric-Hospital/dp/B00BLBLR1I/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535640183&sr=8-3&keywords=spectra+s2

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):  Unsure- Insurance covered

• What you like about it: Small, quiet, loved all the settings. Closed system so not as much to clean. Digital screen that saved last settings. 

• What you don't like about it, if anything: Parts can be a bit harder to find, but I got most at Amazon

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Dont think so

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: The Sarah Wells bags hold everything if you want a one and done bag for work.

TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I second what @notthecheat said about not knowing about oversupply being an issue. My son had a hard time latching and staying on in the beginning and later I realized that it was because of oversupply and he was getting too much at once. So I didn’t need to pump extra or do anything to keep supply up. I actually just fed him on one side at a time and pumped the other side in the beginning because he got so much at once. But it just takes time to adjust and figure out what your body is doing and what baby needs.
  • I just got a haaka( could have spelled that wrong), for catching that extra milk on the opposite side baby is latched on to. My sister in law mentioned she could get a few extra ounces a day just but catching let down on the opposite side. They were on sale on amazon a few days ago so I grabbed one. 
    • Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: The Spectra (hands down!), it’s also a closed system which means you can use it for more than one baby (my daughter was admitted a handful of times during her first year and I hated the Medela, it was so rough on the nipples and it was so much slower to pump than the Spectra)

• Link/picture: I’m in Canada so my aunt bought me one for my shower 

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): most insurance companies will cover it but if you are in Canada, it’s probably the cheapest option you’ll find if you know an American 

• What you like about it: easy to use, painless, a closed system so you don’t have to worry about mould getting in there, lightweight and portable 

• What you don't like about it, if anything: hard to get parts for it compared to the Medela 

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I bought a pumping bra right before finding out I was pregnant, plan to use it this time around 

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]: I pump to donate milk so if that’s the route you want to go ( I donate to a milk bank), make sure to get double parts, that way you can always have a set in the dishwasher (I also heard this is a good idea for moms who are pumping at work)

• Does anyone have advice about pumping bras for larger cup sizes? I’m currently wearing an H cup, and looking at most of the pumping bras out there it looks like they won’t be enough to hold me up. Or am I misunderstanding how pumping bras work?
  • When is "too early" to get a pump? I've set up my account in Aeroflow and my insurance has approved the purchase of a pump. Thanks to y'all, I'm pretty sure what pump I want (I'm leaning toward the Spectra 2). So the next step is to get a prescription from my OB, which will then allow Aeroflow to charge the pump to my insurance company. Is there a specific time before which OB's don't like to write out a prescription? Is 16 weeks too early? When did you S+TMs order your pumps if you went through insurance?
    I'm a planner, and like to have everything squared away as soon as possible. So I can wait on this, if need be. :)
  • @hannahbananas11 - you may need a prescription or your dr/MW to authorize it. Mine won’t do that until third tri. Nothing wrong with waiting a bit - I think I got mine at 28-30 weeks?

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• I agree with @kayjay44 waiting till the 3rd tri is probably a good idea. I think I did it right at the beginning of it around 26-28 weeks. 
  • Sounds like a plan, then. I'll just keep it sitting in my cart, and then click "order" once I hit the third trimester. Thanks!
  • Reviving this thread to ask about bottles. I plan to start bottle-feeding around 6 weeks, so that Baby is used to a bottle by the time I go back to work. What bottles did you like? What didn't you like? And do I need the bottle drying rack and all that gear, or is it just marketing to make more money (aka will a normal drying rack work fine)?
  • @hannahbananas11 DS LOVED Avent bottles. I think it had to do with the boob-shaped mouth piece - much wider than the medela bottles. I hope others have better suggestions though, because DS didn't reject any bottles and I know that's a huge issue to be cognizant of!
  • I would buy a few different single bottles bc your baby may be picky about bottles (mine was). DD ended up liking the como tomo at first and then hated it. We ended up trying a lot of different bottles until she finally settled on Lanisoh botttles. So just an idea of what may happen. 

I felt the drying racks were great bc I could air dry all the nipples and rings and bottles separately and still have the regular drying rack for our dishes. The bottle drying racks held the smaller pieces of the bottles better and allows them to dry more throughly. Also definitely get a couple of bottle brushes. I like the ones with the sponge on the end that are self standing and have the nipple brushes hidden in the bottom. 
  • I feel like bottles are hit or miss with kids. I’d get a few different kinds to try and see what works before investing in a bunch of one kind. 

We still use our drying rack 6 years later (Boon Lawn) for kids cups! 

Also... as far as introducing a bottle, I wouldn’t wait until 6 weeks. You’re going to want to start after 2/3 weeks (when you start pumping). 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• We only used dr browns options bottles with DD and while they were great for us, all of the parts were really annoying to clean. We just bought a set of tommy tippee bottles to try with this baby instead. 

Also yes to the boon boom drying rack! Used it for prob 18 months with DD for all her bottles and cups ! 
  • Re: the Boon drying rack: did y'all just use the grass-looking one, or did you also add the attachments like the twig or flower things?
  • sjnsjnsjnsjnsjnsjn member
    edited September 2018
    • Favorite [Breast Pump & Accessories]: Spectra S1: Loved it.  My first pump was the insurance-free Ameda purely yours or whatever and it was AWFUL. At some point, I also bought an Avent comfort handpump.

• Link/picture: Spectra Baby USA - S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump Bundle, Double/Single, Hospital Grade - with Black Tote and 2 Sets of Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BNSRKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OSpMBb6XH0C9V

And here is the link to the handpump I own: Philips AVENT SCF330/20 Comfort... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZPFO6S?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the spectra. I def shopped around. It's around $200.

The avent comfort handpump was about $40.

• What you like about it: Spectra S1 was double-electric, quiet as a mouse, super lightweight; rechargeable so you did not have to be plugged in... used that ability many times including pumping in the car while my SO drove somewhere; worked really well; had a time pumping display; ... many good things. 

The avent handpump was surprising effective.  It was good for throwing in my purse for a rare night out.  I pumped in a few show venue bathrooms with it.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: For Spectra, bottles were not that great and their lines wore off fast, so I basically just used them to pump into/store for a day, and transferred for actual use.  For the avent, hand pumping is just a lot of manual labor, regardless.

• Are there [Breast Pump & Accessories] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No

• Additional thoughts on [Breast Pump & Accessories]:  If your free insurance pumps sucks in the wrong way, like mine did, and you can afford to buy a better one, do. It is important that you have a good pump if you will be pumping daily.  BFing and pumping is stressful enough without technical obstacles!

Re: bottles, don't buy a ton of anything until you know your kid likes it. We had a boatload of Dr Browns which my son completely rejected.  He was great with the wide top Born and the Tommee tippee. Babies can be so particular.

On the boon thing, we had that for hand washing bottles and nipples because we had no dishwasher in the appt we lived in then (oof), and we did have the "twig/tree" to hold the nipples.  It worked well.