Infertility
Options

Accidentally left injectable progesterone in hot car

cchun33cchun33 member
edited September 2018 in Infertility
Hi everyone,
I'm 40 years old & recently had my first IVF fresh embryo transfer 9 days ago (3 day fresh transfer). We live in Hawaii so need to take a flight to Honolulu to get fertility treatments. On the way to the airport yesterday we made a pit stop and I forgot my injectable progesterone in ethyl oleate in the car for about 1 1/2 hours. It was in a paper bag, under some clothes, in my luggage, in the trunk. When I remembered we hurried back to the car, tore open the luggage, and found the paper bag still relatively cool to the touch. We put everything back & then drove about 25 minutes more to the airport.  Both my mom & DH said it was definitely fine but being new to all of this, I'm worried. How sensitive is progesterone to heat?  Has anyone else accidentally done the same thing?

To make things even more worrisome I started having some spotting this morning. It's very light & ranges from brown to a little pink. I did ask my clinic about the spoting but forgot to ask about the progesterone. Thought I'd post here before calling them multiple times a day...lol.  Hoping someone here will have some insight. 

By the way, they did say light spotting & slight cramping may be normal around this time but if it gets heavy to let them know.  Has anyone else recently experienced spotting around day 9 after embryo transfer? Eventhough, they said it can be normal, I still feel a bit worried.

Thanks in advance 

Re: Accidentally left injectable progesterone in hot car

• Options
    sungirl39sungirl39 member
    edited September 2018
    Hi! I always heat up my pio so it is easier to inject, I get it hotter than most ppl probably and my level are >40. It is totally fine!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your reply.  It's good to hear that pio can get a little warm and still work :).
    By the way spotting mysteriously disappeared...yay!  I go in for my blood test tomorrow to see if the transfer took...so, here's to crossed fingers and toes, hoping for good news.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aloha, @cchun33. Are you going to FIH? That’s where I’ve had my last 2 FETs. I hope your beta goes well tomorrow and glad to hear the spotting stopped. 
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    Hi, @AlohaKumu! Yeah, I'm going to FIH. Unfortunately my beta went poorly BFN :'(.  I have to go in for a second blood test tomorrow to double check but unless it was a lab error (unlikely), I am very not pregnant. I'm sad, it was our one IVF cycle paid for by HMSA & we didn't have any embryos to freeze so we don't have a second chance.

How did your 2 FET's go? Successful I hope. Are you on Oahu? I'm on the neighbor island so appointments are a little more difficult.
  • Options
    @cchun33 I'm sorry to hear your cycle was not successful. Neither of our previous FETs were successful. (Only the transfers were done at FIH, since our REs need that equipment to do it.) I've been undergoing additional testing, diagnosis, and surgery over the past few months before our final FET late this fall/early winter. I'm on Oahu, so it is a bit easier to do the appointments than having to fly in. I hope you don't face any of the flooding or high winds coming in!
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    @AlohaKumu, can I ask who is your RE? I didn't know FIH hosted other doctors at their facility. It sounds like you had lots of good embryos. I wish we had had at least a few to freeze so we could try again. It was hard to continue the shots & estrogen these past few days knowing tomorrow's test will most likely be negative. It's really a helpless feeling.

We might look into doing an IUI in a few months with donor sperm (at this time they think we have male factor infertility) but I know nothing about donor sperm so I suspect there will be a bit of a learning curve. We might also try a different RE just to see if it makes a difference since they each have their own style. 

How long have you been doing IVF/IUI stuff?

Take care during tropical storm Olivia tonight