November 2018 Moms

Baby Girl # 2 is small

Hey all...just like most of you im 28wks pregnant with what will be our 2nd gal. This pregnancy has been completely different then my 1st (gestational diabetes,extra stress, fluctuating on high end BP, and hormones have COMPLETELY invaded my body) lol. My question/concern is they are saying our LiL Gal is on the smaller end, as of earlier this week she was only weighing @ 1lb 15oz. So they said they will deliver me @ 37wks, what i dont understand is,is why? What is causing her to be that small!? Ive ask my Dr's and the mounds of other Dr's they've sent me to, and they all just keep saying that she is completely healthy ( as far as they can tell) besides just being a tiny petite baby. Whats more is that they have NO idea why shes smaller, she as they put it "just is". So i keep wondering and asking WHY,why is she so little is there something im doing/done!? And they say no, but i feel like there has to be a reason shes so small,it cant be just because, SOMETHING has to be underlying causing this. Could it be that i was not only almost 4m's pregnant before i even found out and for that entire 4m's i had the implant birthcontrol in my arm!? Idk i just cant help but stress and worry!!!

Re: Baby Girl # 2 is small

• @brandybran84 I'm sorry you're so stressed out about this, I would be worried too. However, there's not much more we can tell you aside from what you've already heard from your doctors. If your doctors aren't worried, I hope you can find a way to calm your worries and trust that they know what they're doing. You could always get a second opinion if you don't trust your doctors. So do you mean you were 4 months pregnant before you found out you were pregnant? I was having trouble understanding the last part of your post. If you were on birth control and hadn't had your period, it could be that the dates are off for the measurements, but I'm not sure without more information.
    I'm a bit confused as to why your doctors would want to deliver the baby early if she's small; however, I'm not a doctor so there definitely could be good reasons for that that I'm not understanding. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Do you think your dates could be wrong since you were on birth control? I think that's one possibility for sure. Also high blood pressure can decrease blood flow to baby, so often those with high blood pressure/pre-e have smaller babies (because baby is getting less nutrients so their growth is restricted). Those babies are sometimes taken early due to either mom's blood pressure or concern about baby not growing/getting enough nutrients. I'm not sure how high your BP has been, but here is a quick read about it from ACOG: https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Preeclampsia-and-High-Blood-Pressure-During-Pregnancy
    Really there are a lot of factors that can affect baby's growth - stress, smoking, blood pressure, nutrition, etc. You really may just have a smaller baby. Are they doing more growth ultrasounds to make sure baby's growth stays on track?
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Loading the player...
  • Yes i go every 2 weeks for checkup's. I have upped my daily protein, and started taking baby aspirin everyday. Also my BP will be fine 1hr then next be (ex) 174/81...then that quick be "normal" agian! Im trying to just listen to the dr and do what i need to. So far they said that BG is normal in size, her appendages are correct in length, her stomach is right size and good blood flow in cord. We shall see when i go back next week, thanks for the reply!
  • Sorry the ending was a bit confusing (damn pregnancy brain) im not even too sure where i was exactly going with that, LOL maybe was trying to  find out had anyone heard of pregnancy with the implant in your arm is/could her smallage be a side effect due to this!? Ive looked and havnt found anything on it. Also another reason i hadnt known i was pregnant untill almost 4m's is bc i have PCOS and havnt had period since Oct last year. Im just doing as the Dr says...up daily protein intake, and take 1 baby aspirin a day. Thats all i can do i guess
  • EveinshockEveinshock member
    edited September 2018
    I know someone who just had a baby who was measuring very small also. Like measuring 2 lbs when he should’ve been at least 3 lbs.  everything else looked totally normal with him, just was really small.
    She did have preeclampsia and they ended up taking the baby 2 months early and he was really tiny but totally fine.