Baby Names

How important is the meaning of a name to you?

We came up with a name we like and I normally don’t pay too much attention to name meaning but this name means “little servant” which isn’t great. Most names I’ve seen mean something pleasant. Thoughts? How much does name meaning matter to you?

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How important is the meaning of a name to you?

• It depends on how much I love the name and how much I dislike the meaning, or how well known the meaning is. 

I love the name Rosalind. It means "gentle horse", but like, only name nerds are going to know that so who cares? 
  • It’s not something that in general I think the majority of people know or pay attention to, so I don’t really let it influence me 

• Loading the player...
  • Servant can be explained in a positive manner as well: as not putting your own needs first. I like it when a name has a positive meaning, but if I love the name, the meaning is not terribly important (unless it’s something really horrible like zombie w***e of the Apocalypse). 

I’m curious, what’s the name?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• FakeFinn said:

Servant can be explained in a positive manner as well: as not putting your own needs first. I like it when a name has a positive meaning, but if I love the name, the meaning is not terribly important (unless it’s something really horrible like zombie w***e of the Apocalypse). 

Good point about servitude. The name is Paige.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• FakeFinn said:

Servant can be explained in a positive manner as well: as not putting your own needs first. I like it when a name has a positive meaning, but if I love the name, the meaning is not terribly important (unless it’s something really horrible like zombie w***e of the Apocalypse). 

Good point about servitude. The name is Paige.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• FakeFinn said:

I hadn’t thought of it as servant in a good way. The name is Paige. We are liking the name Paige Evelyn if it’s a girl.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• FakeFinn said:

I hadn’t thought of it as servant in a good way. The name is Paige. We are liking the name Paige Evelyn if it’s a girl.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ugh sorry for all the posts. Having issues. Thanks for all the input, ladies!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• FakeFinn said:

That’s beautiful! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't really pay attention to the meaning. There are so many names that have similar meanings, or names that have boring meanings (like 'an open field' or something like that). I agree with PP that I would only not use a name if it meant something really bad, like spawn of Satan or something (but since I don't really pay attention, I could totally see myself naming my child and then finding out after the fact that the meaning isn't ideal, lol).

I like Paige and agree that 'servant' could be seen in a positive light, but even if it couldn't, I wouldn't let that meaning deter me.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • FakeFinn said:

FakeFinn said:

That’s beautiful! 
    Thanks so much!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I quite like Paige Evelyn! I agree that “servant” is not automatically a negative in my mind. I say go for it if you love the name!

• kmvisioli said:

I quite like Paige Evelyn! I agree that “servant” is not automatically a negative in my mind. I say go for it if you love the name!

Thank you! We may have a winner! :)

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker