TTC After a Loss

Question about TTCAL timing.

Are randomn questions allowed here?  I hope so ... 

I’m 2 weeks, 4 days out from my D&C. I’m still bleeding (light and brown), but I think I’m very close the end. I expect AF back within 2-4 weeks at this point.

I had my post-op appointment yesterday and the MW at the practice said it’s best to wait 2  cycles before trying again, to allow the uterine lining to build up. The OB who did my procedure said I only had to wait 1 cycle. I have seen them both in the past and like them both very much, but not sure who’s advice to follow. Obviously I’d like to start trying ASAP with my 40th birthday looming in December, but also want to do what’s best for my body. 

I’m curious what recommendations you all received and ultimately how long you waited to TTC after your loss. 

DS - 7.5
DD #1 - 6
~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
DD#2 - born 12.24.19

Re: Question about TTCAL timing.

• I was told to wait 1 cycle but my OB said the only purpose (at least in my case) for waiting was to make dating easier. So we started trying right away (not that it worked).
  • Both my OB and RE said we could start trying after AF returned.  Waiting extra cycles to let your lining thicken isn’t really something backed by research.  Your lining sheds each month no matter what so waiting longer isn’t going to give you a thicker uterine lining.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB recommended we wait until the first new cycle for dating purpose but wasn't overly worried when I told him were NTNP from that day until first AF. He didn't care so I figured there was not great concern. 

And like @Kath525, it didn't work anyway.

@coco2787 I've always rolled my eyes when people make that comment (wait for lining to thicken). It makes me think they dont actually understand how the body works and DRs use that line to make them wait for their own (Drs) benefit of dating.
  • I agree with all previous posts.  I was told wait until AF arrives with each of my MC.  I did that for the first two but the 3 I didn’t wait and like the others it didn’t work. 
  • Ditto what the other ladies said. One cycle but it didn’t work....  good luck. 
  • With my first D&C I waited until after my 2nd true period and got pregnant with my next MMC. So then I waited for 3 cycles because someone told me that the research showed that you are more likely to get a good egg if you wait for 3 cycles. I got pregnant with DD. I am 39 as well, so I understand wanting to get back on it. I would go based on what you are feeling. If your body feels back to normal, then I would say go for it. If not, I would say wait. Don't try to rush it b/c you want hormones to be settled before GTKU again.    
  • Thank you for your input everyone!

I think I’ll just sit tight and see how I feel once AF finally comes back and go from there. <3

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• My OB told me to wait 2 cycles, so we did. Then on the third cycle we got pg but then had our second mc. So we waited 2 more cycles and then got pg again on the third cycle but then had our third mc. I'm not sure if theres any rhyme or reason but for us, even 2 months wasn't long enough (physically or emotionally). We then took a long break (almost 8 months with a few random attempts thrown in). We are now hopefully ready to battle this rollercoaster again. 
  • McKBaby I know that waiting sucks and feels like it takes forever, but it's not the worst thing in the world. I'd wait the 2 cycles and then try again. Better safe than sorry.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• I’m in the same boat. Had a d&c 3 weeks ago. My obgyn told me 2 cycles. But at my follow up appt earlier this week... I asked her about her thoughts on all of the studies that suggest there’s no benefit to waiting. No studies out there suggest waiting. After that, we compromised Until after I have 1 cycle! So that’s my plan. 
  • This is a very helpful thread. 
  • My one doctor told me 2 cycles,and yesterday, my other doctor to wait 1 cycle also saying there is no real evidence about waiting. She did say she would put me in progesterone shots if I get pregnant,idk.im.almost 40 and I'm choosing try asap.more the time clock issue otherwise I would probably take time to heal emotionally.I know we are all in the same boat, but when I think how easy it is for some women to repeatedly get pregnant and maintain a healthy pregnancy until delivery,those women will never understand...I wish we didnt have to understand either. ..Blessings...