April 2019 Moms

Weekly Randoms Thread 8/27

124»

Re: Weekly Randoms Thread 8/27

• I’m so stuffed full from
    chicken nuggets. I feel 6 months preggo. 
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • @lyse01 agreed on the safe cosleeping rules and will add a few more 1) breastfeeding mother, 2) full term baby. 
    I loved our arms reach cosleeper until DD was 4-5 months. But she ended up in bed with me most nights anyway. She would literally nurse all. Night. Long. Until she was a year. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • jecraejecrae member
    edited August 2018
    Anyone here have a DH that decided to be a stay at home dad? How’s it working for you? I can’t see giving up or cutting back on a career I absolutely love for my DH to stick with a career that he has not much passion for and stresses him out. Also he’s the cook and the clean freak in our household so I’m thinking it’s a win-win. Money would obviously get tight but I think he will miss our child’s entire childhood if he keeps this up.
  • @jecrae one of my best friends is married to a stay at home dad. She loves her career (professor), and he was burned out on his (cop). Him being a SAHD has been really great for their family. The biggest challenge for him is that it can be isolating. There aren’t really dad groups the way there are mom groups. 
  • Congrats @professormama!  So very exciting!!!
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @jecrae my DH was when DD was born. I had the job with the medical and 401k at the time so it made sense. He loved getting to spend that time with her. I lost that job when she was 6 months old and were both home and job hunting and I found work about 9 months later (it was rough, we had help and I qualified for unemployment) and he was a SAHD again till about a year and a half ago. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @jecrae my bestie is a naval officer, and her husband is a SAHD/pro photographer. Mostly Dad. It is definitely a win for their family. He gets involved in a lot of the spouse organizations for her work and follows up on his own hobbies to build his social circle in new duty stations. 

DH and I run several vacation rentals so neither of us has a traditional job. DH can’t imagine not being around his kid all day. I think he’d struggle if I was the one bringing home all the income, though. It’s worth discussing whether your DH can be comfortable with the notion that a woman is supporting him (it goes against societal expectations), whether he has or wants any sort of side hustle for independence/cash, and absolutely what the division of responsibilities/chores should be if one spouse is not working. 
  • @lyse01   We actually have a few rentals too so im thinking he could upkeep those instead of us paying other people to do it! He already does most of the chores so he’s probably fine that haha im very lucky in that department! 

Thanks @thatbaintforbetty @professormama
    for the feedback ... maybe he should start a club in the area for stay at home dads!   
  • @jecrae I’m making a definite p/t job out of doing just the bookkeeping on our rentals!
  • Quick vent: So I woke up parched but excited that my half-liter of Snapple was left over from last night and already in my room. But it was not where I left it. No. DH stayed up til 2:30 doing something on his computer and consumed it, thoughtlessly I’m sure, as I currently hate water, the gallon of Arizona iced tea in the fridge, seltzer (all over the house), and like but am not drinking Coke. With all those options for him, why does he have to drink MY Snapple? 
  • @lyse01 Ugh! That would upset me, too!
  • @jecrae we’re talking about DH being a SAHD. He doesn’t realize his potential and always claims that I’ll make more money because I have a PhD and he has no college. He works in insurance and is super smart and it makes me mad that he sells himself short. Anyway, for now I have the higher paying career with benefits, etc. So it would make sense for him to stay home with the cost of daycare. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • Why is it that when i want to nap on the couch DD constantly bugs me or pokes me or tries to climb on me, but when DH does it she leaves him completely alone??

All i want out of this 3 day weekend is a nap. Guess who's asleep on the couch and who's watching the kiddo?
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Okay STMs- talk to me about cradle cap. My 3 year old keeps getting it. Other than scrubbing his head with olive oil (currently in progress), what should I do? 
  • @professormama I’ve ignored it for 15 months and counting...
  • @professormama, my sister swears by butt cream when it comes to cradle cap.  She buys the CJs Butter brand from itsybitsybums.  She says it cleared up her son's cradle cap in a few weeks.  It's mostly shea butter and other natural butters, I believe (it also has amazinggg scents to pick from).
    Pregnancy Ticker