April 2019 Moms

STM Check-in (week of 8/27)

2»

Re: STM Check-in (week of 8/27)

• @wearegroot Is it just you and DS, or is there another adult on the trip? Are you starting at a terminus (eg, northeast regional runs dc to Boston and back; I would consider those two cities termini)?

When I used to take the northeast regional all the time from DC (sans kid but with laptop) and wanted a window seat (for the charger), we left from a major station with seat areas and gates to each track. The line would always extend out of the seating area, but there were always seats in the seating area. So I sat. And then, 4 min later when they called on people to board, I joined the line next to my seat, rather than walk to the end of it. By bypassing most of the line, i almost always got the window seat/charger I needed.

i also avoided eye contact with people who got on after me to “encourage” them to sit elsewhere unless the train really was full. I think just having a small child would do the same trick.

In major stations, the Red Cap service is free and ready to assist with baggage. 

I’d generally stick to seats at the end of a car, so you aren’t carrying luggage as far, and cars nearest the dining car, so you can wander into something more interesting, or at least not the first or last two cars of the train, as sometimes they don’t line up to short platforms. 
  • @lyse01 Yup, just me and DS. We’re getting on in VA and off in CT. Like you said, having a small wriggly child should discourage people from sitting with us.