April 2019 Moms
Options

PGAL Check-In Week of 08/22

1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby?

2. How are you feeling? Mentally and physically?

3. Any appointment updates?

4. Rants/Raves/Questions?

5. GTKY: What do you love that most people have never heard of?

Re: PGAL Check-In Week of 08/22

• Options
    1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby? 5 + 6 - appleseed.  And am I the only one who finds the Bump's "Your baby is now the size of the opening of a straw!" annoying?  Shut up already, I'm trying to tell myself he or she is bigger!

2. How are you feeling? Mentally and physically?  Mentally, still good.  It's kind of shocking.  Physically, the ravenous hunger is kicking in and I'm trying SO HARD to make good choices.  Minimal nausea, but I am tired earlier than usual.  Last night was my husband's fantasy football draft, so my daughter and I were both in bed by 8:30!  Some mild cramping, I sweat like a man, my sense of smell is on 11 - normal first tri stuff.

3. Any appointment updates?  Still with my old practice on 09/19, still futilely trying to find a new practice closer to home.  I'm touring the two hospitals that are close by.  One is a UMC, which has been my preference, but the other has more doctors close by that take my insurance.  Both have level III NICUs, which matters to me.  It would be nice if the other hospital were an option, but we'll see if that happens.  My husband wants me to stay with my old practice, and I wish I could - but the extra hour and a half (minimum) of traveling it would add to my day for each appointment just doesn't seem justifiable.  And the hospital itself could easily be two hours from my home during rush hour, which again doesn't seem doable.

4. Rants/Raves/Questions? Any moms have experience with Makena shots?  My daughter was born at 35 + 6 when my water broke out of nowhere, and my old ob had mentioned Makena as an option for my next pregnancy.  It feels necessary, especially because my pregnancies are so close together, but I also read there's an increased risk of MC and stillbirth, and obviously the PGAL brain is telling me to just say no - any additional risk is too much.  What were your experiences?  Would you recommend?

5. GTKY: What do you love that most people have never heard of? Hamlet 2.  It is my favorite probably awful movie that no one else knows exists.  It's one of the few movies I introduced my husband to that he doesn't mind watching on repeat because it's so weird, you have to laugh!
  • Options
    @ashtuesday I’ve never heard of the shot but I think you should talk to your new OB about it. 

1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby? 5+4 (I seriously have to think about the days!)

2. How are you feeling? Mentally and physically? Mentally I’m ok. I’ll feel better after the u/s. Physically, I’m exhausted and nauseous. Taking unisom at night has helped me sleep and taking a b6 vitamin has helped take the edge off the nausea, but it’s still there. I have a feeling it’s going to get worse before it gets better. 

I have also had a cold, which has made my asthma flare up. My new doctor (precious doctor of 26 years retired) refused to give me prednisone because blood work that I did in April came back that my immune system was low. While I appreciate her concern, my first concern is being able to breathe. And then she had the gall to tell me yesterday that I needed to find a sitter for DD, who I was home with because she has HFM. Let me get right on that. So I’m sitting here now waiting for an appointment and plan on talking about these concerns with the NP. 

3. Any appointment updates? None until the ultrasound on 8/30. 

4. Rants/Raves/Questions? Not that I can think of. 

5. GTKY: What do you love that most people have never heard of? Oh this is hard. I’m sure most have heard of this but I usually love Wendy’s fries and frostys. Together. In my mouth.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mrstmoose fries and frostys together are the best

6w6d, I haven’t really been paying attention to size because I’m sure it’ll change once I get my first u/s. DS was off by nearly two weeks so I’m trying not to get too invested in how far along I am until I actually know.

Physically not too bad today, but yesterday was miserable. Mentally, see rants/raves

First u/s isn’t until 9/11 so waiting on that

So I haven’t been on any previous PGAL thread because my last pregnancy resulted in a full term healthy baby, but the past couple of days have been tough. I feel like TW is implied in this whole thread, but just in case it’s not:TW

Two years ago today I took my first ever positive pregnancy test, which means that in a couple days it will be two years since I found out I lost my first pregnancy (CP). I was lucky that it was early and didn’t require medical intervention, and that we only had to wait one cycle before getting pregnant again, and even though DS would not exist if it weren’t for that loss (which is such a weird thought), whenever this date comes up it hurts. Also my due date for that pregnancy was 4/17. Based off LMP my current due date is 4/11, but I’m sure that will change with the ultrasound and I’ve convinced myself that the new due date will be 4/17 or that this kid will be delivered that day or that it will have some significance. I don’t know if it would make me happy to have something good associated with that date or whether it would be sad to constantly be reminded of it. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it, I just needed to get that off my chest.

On a completely different note, I am happy that DH still finds me attractive when I’m bloated and feeling like crap, but why does he think I’ll be in the mood for sex right now? Seriously, dude, calm down!

I’m a theatre nerd so there’s lots of plays that I love that nobody’s heard of, but my favorite is called “Noises Off!” They made it into a movie in the early 90s with Carol Burnett, Michael Caine, John Ritter, and Christopher Reeve (one of his last films before his accident). It’s absolutely brilliant!
  • Options
    @wearegroot I feel you with the significance of anniversaries/memories of pregnancies lost.  Two years ago was my first pregnancy - seeing pictures on TimeHop that I took while pregnant with a baby that never got to be is surreal and upsetting.  I hope you feel okay and deal with everything as best you can.

Also SO MUCH YES to what you said with your husband - I am in the same boat!  Between stress over having two so close in age, hormones that make every human bodily smell gagworthy, and PGAL worries, I just cannot. We have had sex one time since our BFP (TMI?) and I literally sat on the toilet SOBBING afterwards because I was sure I'd be bleeding. I wasn't, thankfully, but it's not a risk I want to take again any time soon. (Sorry for excessive TMI - it just feels good to commisserate about this!)
  • Options
    @ashtuesday I don’t think it’s TMI. We’ve only had sec once since BFP, too, and I tried not to be too concerned about bleeding...but I was definitely checking the toilet paper more closely and was already prepping myself for the guilt I’d feel if something went wrong. Ugh, PGAL brain.
  • Options
    1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby? 6+5

2. How are you feeling? Mentally and physically? Just found out we were pregnant two days a go. 6 weeks after miscarriage. We were not expecting this and were very surprised. We are always happy for the new life formed, but I am feeling like I am not ready for this, I am still trying to process the loss. 

called the on yesterday to make an appointment. Will they see me earlier than normal? Is PGAL considered high risk? 

5. GTKY: What do you love that most people have never heard of? Texas Mountain Laurels. Beautiful smelling trees blooming in early March, first sign of spring for me. 
  • Options
    1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby? 6w2d today, per yesterday’s ultrasound. Baby had a beautiful heartbeat at 129!! 

phsucially, I feel great! Sore boobs and extreme fatigue are currently my only real nagging symptoms. Mentally I have had a super rough few weeks with extreme anxiety over this pregnancy. After seeing the heartbeat yesterday though, I am much more at ease. But I imagine I’ll be nervous until this babe is in my arms. 

yesterdays ultrasound was amazing! And I loved the midwife I met with. I have one more first trimester u/s on September 7 and see the OB after. Have already decided though that I’ll be seeing the midwives throughout this pregnancy and delivery- loved how personal it seems!

Its 2am...I’m bad at thinking of stuff right now LOL. 

oh man, this is hard! Actually, just kidding. Dutch French fries! Had a crazy craving for them last week so tried to recreate them half ass. First tried them in 2012 when I lived in Germany. It’s fries with a mayonnaise and ketchup sauce, but not sure what other ingredients are in there because it’s downright amazing. Sounds weird, but I swear—best meal I had when I lived abroad, haha. Too bad the Netherlands are so far away
    E (24) + DH (30)
    2 first trimester losses (2011, 2012)
    Actively TTC since January 2014
    Project RAINBOW<3

• Options
    @awiggin2013 In my experience, being PGAL doesn't automatically make you high risk (maybe it can, depending on the timing and circumstances of your loss though).  And of course no one WANTS to be high risk, but the level of care you get when you are is certainly nice.  It also hasn't translated to earlier appointments for me.  My RE said studies show that women who have extra support in their first few weeks are less likely to MC, and in her practice, you got weekly ultrasounds and blood tests for the first 8 weeks.  It was a big reassurance, but not one any of the other doctors I've seen has duplicated.

@EveryStormX2 Congratulations on a good ultrasound appointment!  That had to be a huge sigh of relief - hooray!!!
  • Options
    I think I am out ladies. I just started spotting this afternoon. We are going into the ER to confirm, but I honestly don’t have much hope right now.
  • Options
    I'm not technically pgal this time around but I've been lurking on this thread.

@JNR6510 thinking of you tonight!! please keep us posted  <3<3<3
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @JNR6510: Thinking of you!

1. How many weeks are you, and how big is baby? 6+1-4

2. How are you feeling? Mentally and physically? Physically, I don't have any symptoms. Mentally, I'm so worried. :( DD woke up at 1 last night and I lay awake until 4, freaking out. I know it's not everything, but I just wish I had some symptoms!

3. Any appointment updates? I called my OB this morning and they scheduled me for tomorrow, workup + scan. I'm so nervous!

5. GTKY: What do you love that most people have never heard of? Shrubs! They are my go-to pregnancy drink. :)

• Options
    6w4d, I think a chocolate chip

Anxious and nauseous and it's hard to get my mind off either

3. Any appointment updates? Had my appt last Fri but we only saw the sac, now I'm getting beta hcg draws. I'm so tempted to go get a $40 ultrasound next weekend so I can see a heartbeat

4. Rants/Raves/Questions? Those who do know about my  pregnancy are already assuming that of course we want a boy. BIL insisted that DH was lying when he said he didn't care if he had a boy

Buttermilk pie, my grandma was southern and passed the recipe down to me but I've never met another person who knows what it is
  • Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited August 2018
    Deleted original comment because I found the answer. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    *TW for uncertainty*

Went in to my appointment today and bean didn't even come close to measuring 5w5d, much less the 6w3d or so I was thinking it might be. Recheck in a week; progesterone draw today and then one next week as well. My doctor was fairly upbeat and said he thinks there's a good chance I'm just behind (I got a very faint BFP 9 days ago after nothing the day before; I've had sort of crazy cycles since my D&C in April), and told me not to worry.

Still, I don't know if he looked at the ultrasound's measurement vs. just the written statement that it was "less than 5w5d": bean was about a third of the size of the 5w5d mark, and even if I got a BFP 8 days after conception (as early as a test can be accurate, according to the internet,) that would only make it about 4w4d, giving it about 1w1d to triple in size. Can that happen? The internet is not telling me how much a bean should grow between weeks 4 and 5.

Trying not to worry, but it's hard. Two MMC in 4 months, 4MC total sounds like it's time for tests, and at 33 I don't feel very young any more. I want a sibling for DD so badly. I also just don't want to go through the whole loss process again. :(

*/TW*

• Options
    robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited August 2018
    @TheSouffleGirl I’m sorry but I don’t know anything about growth rates and things. With my MC everything looked great at 6 weeks and then all of sudden stopped around the 8 week mark. Hoping and praying your little bean grows! When do you go back?
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    @TheSouffleGirl I'm just sending you all the hugs and positive vibes your way. Are they going to check for betas with the progesterone?
  • Options
    robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited August 2018
    Deleted and will update the most recent tgread
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    Ok I well I thought there was a newer PGAL thread but I couldn’t find one.

Add me to the freaked out group. Had brownish tinged cm today and now I’m worried. 

• Options
    ashtuesdayashtuesday member
    edited August 2018
    @TheSouffleGirl Thinking of you - any update?

@robyn2201 I'm sorry you're freaking out, and I hope everything's okay.  Have you contacted your doctor?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @mrstmoose @ashtuesday: Thank you for the thoughts!  My next appointment is Tuesday.  My doc ordered the normal slew of tests and didn't mention betas explicitly (I didn't know they were different than progesterone or I'd have asked), but he did say that he would call me if he saw anything off and wanted to do more tests or supplement the progesterone.  He hasn't called yet, and I know from the online portal that all my tests are back, so fingers crossed!  I will update as soon as I know something!  And I hope you are all doing well with yours!