September 2018 Moms

Weekly Randoms 8/13

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 8/13

• @nackie do you have any recommendations for soothing babe if she doesn't take to a pacifer? For some reason, I thought all babies loved pacifiers. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @smsaulino honestly I will likely just give everything a good wash in hot soapy water. I have a designated wash bin for baby stuff so it doesn't get mixed with regular dishes. I don't think I ever sterilized anything with DD. However, if someone ends up with a baby that needs NICU time I would recommend sterilizing and taking all precautions.

Also, we never used pacifiers with DD, but she was also a very chill baby . My mom thought I was a crazy person but DD usually only cried because she was hungry/wet/tired so we just addressed those things and she was good
  • @smsaulino my daughter never took a pacifier. And she was NOT a chill baby. We tried, but she didn’t take to it. The 5 S’s are a lifesaver, and as a newborn she’d suck on a finger (ours, not hers) which helped! 
  • smsaulino said:8
    This is completely random... but I'm going through bottles, nipples and pacifiers right now. Do you wash and sanitize them all before baby uses it or just sanitize? Also, can you just sanitize pacifiers with pacifier wipes or do they need to be sanitized with the rest? 
    I'm going to wash then sanitize. Then store in baggies.
  • @smsaulino DD didn't take to the pacifier right away. She was breastfed, so basically I was her pacifier. After maybe 5 months she ended up taking one. Which helped with sleeping. 
  • @smsaulino I was in the same boat as @nackie .
    Baby never took a pacifier, hated to be swaddled, and slept very little and very poorly. It sucked. Holding him and rocking him was about all we had that worked to soothe him and that only worked during the day. Nighttime? Nothin'. Just months of screaming. It was... Rough...

• @smsaulino Yup, nurse baby for comfort, works OK during the day, and he screamed, cried, got carried, and a did as much comfort nursing at night as I could stand until I was in tears from the sore factor (after the first week or so, nursing shouldn't hurt at all, but if you've literally had 11 hours of on the boob time that day, you'll be sore) and the touched out and the tears. He never took a pacifier and maybe 10 times or less took a bottle. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @smsaulino - I sanitized everything before first use then just washed as needed after that. DS never really took to a pacifier either. He started to at the beginning but it was other people (my mom!) shoving it in his mouth when he fussed and I think it was masking hunger cues so we ditched them (well, held on to them but didn't offer). He would use one occasionally, mainly in the car, but we never offered them for sleep. If he fussed, I nursed him. And honestly it was awesome not having to break him of a sleeping with a pacifier habit.

I am hoping for a similar approach with DS2, but am headed into it with the understanding that all babies are different and have some on hand in case we need them.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • I sanitized but only because it was easier for me.  We didn't have a dishwasher when we had our first LO so we used a big munchkin microwave sanitizer to clean multiple bottles at once rather than wash by hand.  Now we have a dishwasher but I'm used to my method. I'll be working significantly less this time around so it will be weird to (hopefully) not have to wash any many bottles / pump parts.  We'll see!
    DD1 6.2011 
    DD2 4.2013 - vbac
    DS1 9.2016 - vbac, team green
    Baby #4 due 9.2018
  • My DD used a pacifier for a few months then found her thumb and ditched the paci immediately. Now she has a bunny lovey and sucks her thumb while holding onto a bunny ear with her other fingers. The bad news: it’s harder to take away her thumb. The good news: she never loses it so self soothing in the MOTN is easier.

Honestly I don’t think I ever sanitized her bottles. I just wash them really well with warm soapy water. When she was born the hospital gave us these plastic bins that we used to wash pump parts in the NICU. I still use those for all her bottles/cups to keep them separate from the rest of our dishes.
  • @Patience7150 yes to whatever soothes baby. Mine loved the sound of the oven fan. I used to walk around the kitchen island over and over for hours listening to that stupid fan while DS slept in his wrap. I did lose the weight pretty quickly though!