January 2019 Moms
Options

Crazy Neighbour Stories - August

I super loved the thread about roommates, so I thought it would be fun to have another thread along that vein. 

What's your crazy neighbour story?

Re: Crazy Neighbour Stories - August

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live in a 3 family house. I wouldn’t necessarily call our downstairs neighbor crazy I just don’t understand how she functions in life. Over the winter our pipes burst and flooded her kitchen. She got a very nice insurance payout to cover completely new cabinets and floors and just...hasn’t done anything. The water ended up going straight through to the basement because she had never fixed her floor from when the same thing happened a few years ago (before we lived there). Fast forward to this month, the condo association got our water bill for the month and it was 5x higher than the last month. We were trying to figure out how the eff that happened and it turns out downstairs neighbors toilet has been running for WEEKS. That’s such an easy fix and she’s a public school teacher who’s off for the summer so how hard could it possibly be to have a plumber come out if you can’t fix it yourself? I just don’t understand her life at all.
  • Options
    I had neighbors that had sex SO LOUD that I almost slipped an anonymous note under their door. I could hear it echoing off the next door building even with my windows shut. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    mtengl said:
    Our current neighbor has called the cops on us because when we water our lawn sometimes the water from the sprinkler will accidentally go over the fence and hit his car with water.... 
    Why wouldn't they just walk next door and ask. Wtf is wrong with people? Use your words and don't waste police officers time.  
  • Options
    @galactickates he called the cops after he came over and banged on our door and we moved the sprinkler over and I had made sure it wasn’t going over the fence, but I live in south Texas with a lot of wind and few drops fell onto his car. The cops even said there was only one or two drops coming over.
  • Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited August 2018
    I think my mom might be a crazy neighbor. She manages to get into arguments over trimming bushes most places she lives.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    leighbrek said:
    @libertymomrn Your mom sounds like a really good person!
    Better than I am! I’m trying to be more like her. Honestly my first reaction is usually still snark or a joke, but at least I try to follow it up with service and love.
  • Options
    kns1988kns1988 member
    edited August 2018
    pttomato said:
    I think my mom might be a crazy neighbor. She manages to get into arguments over trimming bushes most places she lives.
    Oh man, your mom would hate me. I have two rows of hedges separating my backyard from my neighbors'. The 80 year old neighbor usually trims the one on his side, even though they belong to me, but I did it this week because I felt guilty. They're definitely more wavy and less pristine than when he does it. I didn't even get to the side separating from the other neighbors... It's hard to find the time with a toddler! 

• Options
    When we lived in an apartment right after we got married our neighbors across the pool from us would have sex parties with the curtains and blinds open. The whole neighborhood got a view of their kinky shenanigans. 

Our current next next door neighbor likes to call 911 whenever DS and his friends play outside in our driveway because they “must be plotting something at their age”. I know this because my brother is a 911 operator for our area and has been the recipient of this man’s calls many times since we moved in. 
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @DLpanda08 I imagined your kid being under the age of 7 and the neighbor calling the cops 
  • Options
    @DLpanda08 oof I wish people would get fined for stupid 911 calls. 
  • Options
    @mtengl some of the kids he plays with are that young! And even though my kid is 11, it’s insane to me that this guy is freaked out over them playing basketball or riding bikes. 

@kaf1788 same. It drives my brother up the wall. He gets some seriously random calls. One person called because they thought 911 was also Apple support 
    married 7.11.09
  • Options
    Oh man, these have all been so entertaining to read. I’m getting a pedicure and these ladies think I’m weird bc I keep chuckling and my nail tech just held my foot to say “stop shaking.” 

I have nosy neighbors across our house and to count, we only had two weird encounters w them:

1. Right when we moved in, I saw the husband walk over w his son to drop something in our mailbox. I was in DD’s nursery facing the street so I saw this all play out. Two seconds later, he turns around and walks back (without his son this time) to our front door. My assumption: He invited us to something only to take the invitation out? Idk. We’ll never know.

2. We’ve exchanged a few hello’s and the wife must’ve thought this was an OK thing to do: She printed out 50 pages of chemicals used to kill mosquitoes in our yard. She saw that we use this mosquito company and wrote a note w her research that what we’re doing is killing plants and animals including our dog. What she doesn’t know is that this company we chose has natural ingredients option and she basically had no idea wtf she was talking about. She left her name and number — IDK what she was expecting. A text saying “thank you for doing the research, we will stop this service immediately?” Hmmm. I wanted to respond to her but DH said to let it go. I’m so glad I did not respond bc what else would she/they encounter us about next? 

Previous owners did warn us that they are very weird. They hold cook outs and dinner parties that we don’t go to. Last year, they invited us to a party on Christmas day. Whaaaaaat? 

The reason why we’re thinking of getting Nest or Ring camera is bc of them. Weird AF!!!
  • Options
    kns1988 said:
    pttomato said:
    Oh man, your mom would hate me. I have two rows of hedges separating my backyard from my neighbors'. The 80 year old neighbor usually trims the one on his side, even though they belong to me, but I did it this week because I felt guilty. They're definitely more wavy and less pristine than when he does it. I didn't even get to the side separating from the other neighbors... It's hard to find the time with a toddler! 
    If you let her trim her side she would be happy, haha. The arguments usually happen when she trims stuff on her side and the neighbors don't want it trimmed.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @libertymomrn I really love your story. Your mom sounds sweet. A great reminder for us all.
  • Options
    These stories are great! We don’t really have any weird neighbors where we are now (or are WE the weird neighbors?!). We live in an older neighborhood with a lot of retired people. 

When we lived in our apartment, there was a woman and her young adult son that lived above us. They would fight all. The. Time. It got so bad one night that I almost called the cops. She was really nice whenever we crossed paths but she constantly fought with her son.

In our first apartment (same complex but different side), I woke up to what sounded like a pile of plates crashing to the ground. Turns out, our neighbor across the way got drunk and put her leg through the window. A friend of hers was able to call an ambulance.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had a neighbor who went to our church. She was older and likely had a bit of dementia. She loves to participate in church but because she said such odd things, they tried to have her participate in smaller ways, like saying a prayer. This particular Sunday, she was giving the closing prayer and it lastest 7-10 minutes, and that’s not even the weird part. Her prayer wasn’t so much a pray as it was offering odd advice and directives. I remember one of the things she said in the prayer was along the lines of “I have been thinking for sometime about the end of days and I want everyone on this room to know that  if you’re ever in a situation where someone is holding your family or children hostage and threatens to harm or kill them if you don’t sin or deny Christ, that it is a more righteous choice to choose not to sin and that your family will be rewarded on high. I think every parent in this room should committ to making that decision right now.”

Weirdest prayer I’ve ever heard.
  • Options
    @AliKay20 I highly recommend the Nest doorbell or one of their cameras! We have one and it is awesome. My parents have the ring doorbell and they like it a lot. Definitely worth the investment. 
    married 7.11.09
  • Options
    @libertymomrn wow, that would make me super uncomfortable. They should probably not let her do public prayers anymore. 

• Options
    I had this odd couple live in a condo around the corner and they would fight constantly. You would her the woman occasionally but the man was just loud and scary. I always listened because I was sure he was going to hurt her. I had to call the cops a time or two...and other neighbors have as well. They also grew pot on their tiny patio. Mind you, I'm in CA and we called the sheriff because the smell stayed in my condo all day and they said "they probably have their card, nothing we can do". And to each their own, but we are in condos not houses. There were so many kids. That whole complex was full of crazies. 

I lived in these tiny 1 bedroom condos once with thin walls and one time when I was in the bathroom I heard my neighbor come into his bathroom, and say, "ahhhhh that felt goooood" pretty sure he was pooping and it still makes me laugh.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh how did I forget about the hoarders? I lived in these 2 bedroom apartments and next door, shared a kitchen wall, was a family of 5 (parents, teenager daughter, preteen boy, and a 10 year girl. First of all so many people for these small apartments, but they were hoarders. You could see boxes smashed up against every window, they never opened a window or blind and the blinds were completely damaged. I could only imagine what it looked like inside. So I got pregnant with DD1 while living there but then the place became infested with mice. The smell was SO bad I couldn't go in the kitchen and lived in my bedroom until we moved out. The whole complex had mice, but these neighbors didn't even know they had them in their apartment. The teenage daughter told me that she lived mice and would gladly come and catch them for me. I was so happy to leave that place. 
  • Options
    kianarainkianarain member
    edited August 2018
    Omg, dying at these stories! I've lived in apartments most of my adult life and haven't found a super crazy neighbor (yet), but my mom's old neighbor has given us some epic stories.

When I was in middle school, I made friends with a girl in my neighborhood who had the CRAZIEST mom. To say she was a nosy neighbor would be the understatement of the century. We have a few examples of just how crazy this got.

One of the first is when I was learning to drive. I was going super slow around the neighborhood, with my mom in the passenger seat & my older sister in the back. We saw her and I slowed down even more to say a rolling hello. She begins talking SO much that she actually holds on to the window of the car and trots along with us for like 4 blocks while I'm trying to shake her off... Another good one is when my mom was mowing the back lawn. (Preface: she is a hippy from Northern California & I basically grew up around naked people all the time.) She was topless & just wearing swimsuit bottoms and the neighbor, Mary, let herself into my moms (fenced) backyard and said "is that a new mower? It's just so quiet I had to come see what you were doing!" No comment about my mom's bare boobs, just mower chat.

The last good example is when my mom and I were renovating her basement. We were moving furniture/carpet in and out & painting, so we had the door to the garage off its hinges. The garage was open, but my mom's house is pretty tucked in up her driveway. As we're listening to music & painting, Mary just barges in to my mom's house without any warning or knocking, starts talking to us about her husband's erectile dysfunction and how her daughter's boyfriend just dumped her (and she thought it was probably because her acne hadn't settled down). POOR husband/daughter! Also, all of this while she's standing directly in front of the lamp that's lighting our paint job lmfao. 

Fast forward to 3 years ago, Mary passed away and the neighborhood's been a lot quieter since. :cry: I was picking apples in my mom's backyard on Saturday and for a second I thought I heard the gate open and would see Mary popping her head in. RIP!