December 2018 Moms
Options

Desk Job and Pregnancy

asun123asun123 member
edited August 2018 in December 2018 Moms
Hopefully this is fine to make a separate thread about.

I sit at a desk all day. The back pain I've been experiencing is intense. 
I was just looking into things to help online but got overwhelmed by all the different EXPENSIVE options.

Has anyone ever bought a balance ball chair or some special pillow that maybe helped them at work in past pregnancies?
Or does anyone have a stand-up desk?
Need recommendations or I guess just thoughts too.

Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
MC in February 2017
MC in November 2017
Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Desk Job and Pregnancy

• Options
    I had a tough time with that when I was pregnant with my DD, especially the last couple of months. I just got up and stretched a lot and took frequent walk breaks, but a standing desk is probably an awesome idea. My coworker uses a Flexispot I think it's called? It's kind of heavy looking, so you may need help setting it up, but she loves it and uses it often (she's pregnant as well.) Good luck!
  • Options
    I was able to get a standing desk at work prior to my pregnancy.  I don't know where you work, but as long as I had documentation filled out by a doctor, I was able to have NYS pay for mine.  
    I try to get up and move around as much as possible.  For my last pregnancy, I was a child and adolescent therapist, and a standing desk wasn't really an option, but I brought a heating pad to work, which seemed to help.
    I also know people who have back issues (but aren't pregnant) use chair wedges, that help. I think a lot of it has to do with our posture, so trying to be more aware can help too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also have a desk job this time around. Last pregnancy I had a mostly standing job, but could still sit often. I would absolutely love a standing desk but idk if my company would go for it since we have all matching hardwood desks...plus I'm not the first/only pregnant person in this company and some of those ladies are within customer view, so it "wouldn't be uniform" if they had that and others didn't. And I don't particularly want to spend the money myself for an attachment or even a yoga ball chair, so I've been just kind of dealing with it and visiting my chiropractor often. I need to just ask HR if I have any options.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    Nothing but solidarity, yo. I'm lucky in that I have a laptop and access to couches and comfy areas, so when it gets bad, I head somewhere else to lounge. I'm sorry you're struggling already, though. Hope you find something that helps. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Sometimes occupational health or an ergonomics expert are available at work and may be able to help? There may be other resources already created at work.
  • Options
    I am HR for my company. I'm sure if I asked for a stand up desk, they'd buy me one. I also handle orders for the office and have had to buy 3 men in my office the stand up desks. So I'm thinking I'll just ask bosses/the owners tomorrow.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My butt hurts a lot sitting all day. I have a Boppy-like pillow that I have been alternating behind me and under my butt. Seems to help a little.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    I have a sit/stand desk (not in the patient care rooms, but in my office).  I honestly find having a comfortable supportive chair and frequent position changes (getting up to walk or stretch at least once per hour) is more helpful to me than the standing desk option. 
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I had a memory foam type of pillow I sat on which helped a little. This time we have one of those chair massager things that is really nice on the back. It’s like one of those portable massage seats that plugs in, I hope that makes sense lol. It’s from the sharper image.
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    I brought a big blow up yoga ball to work to sit on towards the end because my lower back hurt so bad. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    Solidarity here too! 
    My Apple Watch reminds me to stand up and move every hour which helps but by the time I get home I’m still in a lot of pain. 
    I really have no idea how to fix it. 
  • Options
    I’m with you on this one too! In fact, I just texted DH today at work telling him to feel free to book me a prenatal massage because my back has not been happy at work. I’m an auditor, so I’m rarely at my own office to randomly walk around and I’m always in different chair/ desk situations. Although, in a few weeks I should be back at my office for most the rest of my pregnancy, which has a standing desk. I’m glad to hear that helps some!
  • Options
    @snugglyduckling25 man a massage sounds heavenly right now...I've been seeing my chiropractor about once every 1-2 weeks depending on time and money, and it does help, but I would kill for a massage. My favorite place closed back in June though, so idk where to go now  :'(
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 I doubt he will actually book it, but I agree - it sounds amazing! I do not get them often enough at all! So sad your place closed, can you look for nearby spas online and see if they have a prenatal option?
  • Options
    @snugglyduckling25 I did look a little one day, and found one place...I was shocked that there aren't more places that offer prenatal here!! I need to pull it back up and maybe find a good time to go, just depends on cost :/ 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18