January 2018 Moms

Health Insurance

I have health insurance through Obamacare at the moment and think I can just keep paying and have the same plan until the end of the year. I'm worried though about being due in January since I'll have to find a new plan. I've heard about pregnancy being a pre-existing condition and am now worried that I'll be denied insurance after December unless Obamacare keeps going. 

I'm honestly just not that familiar with how all this works. Has anyone else done the research? Can we really be covered for all prenatal care and then dropped just before the due date?

Re: Health Insurance

• SoldiersMomSoldiersMom member
    edited May 2017
    @caeilievalor Your best bet is to contact your insurance company directly and ask these questions. Or keep researching online to see what other information you can find. In the meantime, save as much money as you can in preparation for a worst-case scenario situation.
    Me:31 ~ DH: 28
    Swiped Right: 6/2014
    Married: 9/2016
    TTC # 1: 11/2016 
     BFP: 5/2017
    Baby Boy: 1/2018
    Link to FF Charts
  • @caeilievalor As of right now, the healthcare system has not changed. There is no new healthcare plan in place. Normally I would suggest contacting the insurance company about an issue like this, as @soldiersmom suggested; however, I doubt any insurance companies would be able to answer questions about a potential change that isn't in the plans as of yet.  

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Loading the player...
  • KLake42KLake42 member
    The bill passed by the House shouldn't take effect until after the mid-term elections, so you should be all right. It could be subject to changes by the Senate (if it passes there, which is still a big if).

Regardless of what happens with that bill, it's still possible that the plans available in your state could be different, or have different costs, when it comes time to renew. Chances are, you should be able to renew with the same or similar plan at the end of the year, this time around.

Down the road, presuming the bill passes eventually, you can expect the plans available at healthcare.org to become more expensive, and to offer less coverage. But expect that in 2019.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Thanks ladies!!! I did call my health insurance company (thanks @SoldiersMom and duh, why didn't I think to do that?) and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to think it would be a problem because I'll have the option to renew my current plan when my contract is up. It sounds like my out of pocket maximum will reset on Dec 31st so I'll probably have to pay it twice, but that's ok because it's not so much. 
  • EagsEags member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks ladies!!! I did call my health insurance company (thanks @SoldiersMom and duh, why didn't I think to do that?) and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to think it would be a problem because I'll have the option to renew my current plan when my contract is up. It sounds like my out of pocket maximum will reset on Dec 31st so I'll probably have to pay it twice, but that's ok because it's not so much. 
    That's standard - I had to do that back in 2013 with my J13.  

ETA: I'm saying it's standard to "reset" what you have to pay. And it stinks when you have a Jan baby!! 

I obviously have no experience with the possible new healthcare, but I do have experience switching insurance plans/companies. As long as you have a letter of prior (? I can't remember what the last word is), you're good and you can't be excluded for anything pre-existing because it was previously covered under a plan. Again, I'm only speaking from my experience a few years ago though. 
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • @Eags Good to know someone who has gone through that! Thanks for the info! :smile:
  • Aja924Aja924 member
    Is anyone from NY? They are changing the law and it effects paid time off after giving birth. It is effective January 2018-yay for us!!! Wondrink if anyone has heard anything about it?
  • Have you enrolled for any plan? It is good to talk to the insurance company directly to get the details.