Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Benched/TTA w/o 8/13

This thread is for those who are waiting to start TTC or have started TTC but are now TTA or Benched. (There is also a TTCAL "sister" thread.)

***General TW that this thread can and will mention MC and loss.***

This is a place for those of us who are waiting to start TTC or who have already started TTC, but have hit a roadblock and are delaying for whatever reason. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on not TTC and connect with others who are in the same boat. TTC can be a long journey, and having to wait makes it feel even longer -- even if it is for a good reason. I invite you to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say. Treat this like an ongoing conversation.

Benched = involuntarily not NTNP/TTC and "out of the game," usually due to medical reasons

TTA = avoiding pregnancy by using protection or FAM, usually for non-health-related reasons __________________________________________________________________
Are you benched or TTA?
What brings you here?
 How long do you think you'll be here? How have things been going?
 Any R/R/CS/Q?
 GTKY:What was your first job?

Re: Benched/TTA w/o 8/13

• Options
    Are you benched or TTA? I said benched last week, but after reading the descriptions I'd say I'm TTA. 

What brings you here? 
    Festival/birthday shindig coming up on Labor Day weekend. After that, we're in the clear to start TTC.

How long do you think you'll be here?
    September.

How have things been going? 
    Pretty good. This cycle is timing out to be a longer one, which should push my TTC start date a little sooner! If this cycle was going to be 23 days like my last two, my fertile window would have fallen on Labor Day weekend. Now it looks like it will be the week after, so provided DH is on board, I won't have to wait another cycle to start trying. :) 

Any R/R/CS/Q? 
    A deer ate almost my entire zucchini plant last week :angry: This was the day AFTER my MIL gave me a dried blood deer repellent: DH put it in the garden and the next morning there were hoof prints next to it. MIL's response was, "Oh, grandma swears by deer spray!" Yeah, the thing YOU gave us didn't work, and now I might not have zucchini for weeks :( 

I worked as a "clothing buyer" at Plato's Closet (a secondhand teen retail shop). I told myself to avoid fast food because it was "gross," then ended up in a place where people brought in garbage bags full of clothing that smelled like an attic, mothballs, mouse poop, bodily fluids...you name it. Oh, and the owner of the store used to leave for hours and come back drunk.
     :|  But employees got 30% off the sale price, so I got first dibs on everything and built a whole new warbrobe for super cheap!
  • Options
    @hestia14 I hope your cycle times out so you get to start trying earlier. If your FW times out for the event you want to drink at, why can't you start TTC then anyways?

Are you benched or TTA? benched for one more week
    What brings you here? OB wanted me to wait until 8/20 to start TTC *TW child mentioned*
    DD will be 1 on 8/20 which is when my OB said we could start TTC #2
     How long do you think you'll be here? How have things been going? One more week! My chart is all over the place. I'm on day 25 with no temp shift so not sure if it's an an-o cycle (which would stink) or a late O (which means we could potentially try this cycle so maybe yay?)
     Any R/R/CS/Q? Need to get over this cold so I can breathe...kind of necessary to do anything towards TTC with DH
     GTKY: What was your first job? Summer maintenance at my HS between freshman and sophomore year - touching up the paint on doorways, stuff like that.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey ladies - I’ve been around for a (long) while. I used to participate actively and most recently I’ve been lurking because I don’t think I belong anywhere but I’d like to start trying to participate again and I think this is where I’m best suited. I hope it's okay for me to be here for now.

Are you benched or TTA? We're benched.

What brings you here? 
    We've been benched while I await an appointment with a hematologist for a blood disorder I've been recently diagnosed with. I say recently but like... I've been waiting for this appointment for months and it's starting to get really old.  The only hematologists in my province are at CancerCare, and seeing as I don't have cancer, I'm not a priority which I totally understand, but at the same time it's like... I'm running out of patience.

How long do you think you'll be here? 
    The original wait on the appointment was 3-6 months and I'm into month 7 and haven't heard anything so... who knows.

How have things been going? 
    Okay I guess. Waiting is the worst.

Any R/R/CS/Q? 
    Nothing much over here. I guess in addition to being benched, I'm also boring.

Technically my first job was at a small store at my cabin for like... 3 weeks and the lady never ever paid me so that was a bust. But after that I worked at Smitty's and it wasn't too bad. l was a HORRIBLE waitress, but I was a fabulous hostess.
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married: 04/05/15
    TTC since: 02/16/16

• Options
    @kvh22 I know a number of people on TB adhere to DTIP, but my OB flat-out said no. I'm not judging anyone who does, but I like and trust my OB and want to follow her advice, especially since this is my first go-around. 
    Hope you get over your cold soon! (referencing your TW below...)
    Happy birthday to your DD! :)
  • Options
    @Dilynne welcome back! I've still been participating in the WTO thread (...for 25 days now) while I figure out charting again, etc. and there's the GTKYs, as well as a few others. It must be frustrating waiting and waiting for an appointment. I hope you get in soon!

@hestia14 I hear you! My OB is more strict than many on certain things - some would have said I could start trying 3 months ago *same TW*
    Last time I didn't drink during the TWW. Now that I think about it, my GP told me to stop drinking completely when we're about to start TTC #1 but I did while WTO. Anddd my daughter's pediatrician told me not to have caffeine while BFing which I've been doing for almost a year so... Other moms tell me I'm crazy but I think I've had one caffeinated beverage in 16 months and that was last weekend lol.

• Options
    @Dilynne I'm sorry you have to wait so long  :/ Hope everything is OK! 
    @kvh22 TW continued/amended to include multiple pregnancies... 
    Just curious, why did your OB say to wait until DD was a year old to start TTC again? Was it because of BFing? One of my childhood friends and her brother were Irish twins and my husband knows someone who had two under 1. I can't imagine being awake enough to BD at that point  :D
  • Options
    @hestia14 *TW child and pregnancy risks mentioned*
    After she said it I did some research (wish I'd asked at my appointment). Basically there's a higher risk of "poor maternal and fetal outcomes" i.e. preterm birth, maternal anemia, etc. She recommended between 12-18 months PP since the hormones of the first pregnancy make it "easier" to get pregnant again w/in 18 months supposedly. I think that's where the idea that people get pregnant faster with their second comes from.

• Options
    @hestia14 Ugh, animals getting into gardens so so annoying! I had a great salsa going, only to awaken one more to most of it being dug up. I've given up for this year now, except for our pumpkins. 

@Dilynne So sorry to have to wait so long. I hope things start to move a little quicker for you. That must be so frustrating.

Are you benched or TTA? TTA

What brings you here? Waiting until Vegas/Wedding are done in October.

How long do you think you'll be here? I'm hoping only until October

How have things been going? Kind of frustrating, see next question...

Any R/R/CS/Q? So I went to get my IUD out on Friday, and oh my gosh, what an ordeal. My doctor kept saying how easy it was and completely no big deal and it won't hurt at all. Well, she tried once, it hurt a little, but it didn't come out. She tried again, a bit of pain, and it still wouldn't come and the strings broke off. So she had to refer me to a gynecologist who could use a tool to go in and grab it out. My doctor said, several times during my visit, that this has literally never happened to her before. I don't know if she was trying to reassure me or freak me out more.

So I make an appointment with the gynecologist. Since I was on hold for 45 minutes with the scheduler I'm late picking my daughter up from my mom, but I can't tell her why because I don't want anyone to know we're thinking about trying to get pregnant. So I have to lie. Finally I go to my appointment later that day, definitely freaked out because I'm worried it won't come out again, but the nurse was super super nice. Says she'll be able to get it out no problem. So she tries, and it doesn't work, so she calls the nurse in to get her another pair of forceps and a hot pad for my abdomen since I'm hurting and cramping so much. Then the doctor goes in with two pairs of forceps, like Edward scissor hands, trying to get it out. She's having trouble though, so she asks the nurse to go grab another doctor, saying she's grabbing onto it, but it keeps slipping back so she needs another pair of hands. The nurse grabs the doctor, who is male (no big deal really, but it just kind of adds to everything), and he walks into the room and the first thing he sees is my everything. The first doctors says she can't get it by herself, they make a joke about him having magic hand and him being David Copperfield and Harry Potter, and he tugs it once and gets it out. Needless to say, I was in pain all weekend and am still spotting quite a bit. I think I'm going to rethink getting an IUD in the future.

GTKY:What was your first job? I was a cook's assistant at an assisted living facility. I served the food and got drinks for all the residents. It was a great first job, and it taught me a lot about the importance of taking care of the elderly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    aliciac2008 - That sounds miserable. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! *creepy internet hugs*

Dilynne - I'm sorry you have to wait so long for an appointment. Sounds like you'll fit in great. 

kvh22 - I'm glad you will be unbenched next week!
    *TW* Pregnancy and children mentioned (I will learn how to do a spoiler someday)
    My OB actually recommended 2 years in between kids, so mine was even more conservative. :smile:  
    I hurt my back when DS was 9 months old. *End TW*

hestia14- I'm glad you get to TTGP sooner than you thought!

Are you benched or TTA? Benched

What brings you here? Back problems (SI joint)

How long do you think you'll be here? No clue, but hoping October

How have things been going? hahaha... not good. My back went out bad yesterday. I had been coughing and heard/felt a large crack and my back locked up. With previous injuries, I groan in pain, but this time I screamed. DH thought that I had cut off my finger. Even after a visit to the chiropractor I'm still pretty sore and having a hard time moving.

Any R/R/CS/Q?  Not really...

GTKY: What was your first job? Day Camp Counselor. It was pretty fun and the kids were pretty cute. 
  • Options
    @aliciac2008 Your story made me gasp out loud. :scream: I really hope you're OK and that your body is OK. Hugs!
    @spacemountaineer Oh geez, so sorry to hear about that. Hope you feel better soon! Gentle hugs because your back is still sore. 

AFM, I was doing some thinking last night about my place on this board and I've decided to go back to lurking/love its unless I have a pertinent question or observation. I really have nothing useful to contribute at this time, and since I'm voluntarily not TTGP right now, this board is not exactly the place for me on this leg of my journey. (But if anyone has questions about fibroids, hit me up!  :p ) I will probably come back after DH and I start TTGP, but maybe not right away. I've learned a lot from reading everyone's stories and truly admire the strength and determination on this board.
    I'll still be here, just in the shadows, sending little love its from my white peony avatar :) 
  • Options
    Are you benched or TTA? Benched 
    What brings you here? Boyfriend had testicular cancer so we are waiting until he is healed up from the surgery to remove the testicle. we also just bought a house that will need a lot of repairs so we might end up waiting until after Xmas. 
     How long do you think you'll be here? How have things been going? I think I'll be here 4 months unless we decide to throw caution to the wind and just get to it. things have been very stressful but they're getting better. 
     Any R/R/CS/Q? buying a house is some serious BS when youre realtor is impossible to work with. I wanted to fire him from the start but the bf likes him. I told him he's on his last chance with me. 
     GTKY:What was your first job? Aside from babysitting it was McDonald's when I was 14. loved it since I worked with so many of my friends and they had such low expectations of me that I could fool around a lot 
  • Options
    @spacemountaineer Thanks. I would rather get hugs from a stranger over the internet rather than in person (which I've gotten plenty :s ) any day. Is your back starting to feel better today?

@hestia14 I'm doing fine. It makes for a fun story that I'm excited to tell people once we can. I took a nap later that day which always helps  ;)

@kels0091 Buying a house with a bad realtor is soooo terrible! My parents just bought a house and they had to use a family friend to help them so there were no hurt feelings. Well, she didn't do a very good job but they just had to deal with it because they didn't feel like they could fire her. My mom ending up doing most of the marketing herself. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @aliciac2008 oh lord, using a family friend would be the absolute worst!!! I feel horrible for your parents. 
    The thing that irks me is when I bought my house 3 years ago, my realtor was awesome. she retired unfortunately but it just goes to show it doesn't have to be a long/stressful process if you have someone who works well with you. this realtor we are using now didn't want to come and take pictures to listen the townhouse my bf owns because it wasn't a sunny day.... We have 600 forest fires burning in our province, we have so much smoke outside we will not have a sunny 'blue sky' day until atleast middle of September. 
    Your IUD story is HORRIFYING! I had what I thought to be a terrible IUD story but it is NOTHING compared to what you went through. hopefully the cramping and spotting goes away asap. my cramping and spotting lasted 3 days I think but the 3rd day I bleed horribly. Been alot better ever since. I personally won't use an IUD again