April 2019 Moms

PAIF - August Check-in

@sheepshepherdess Yor post I’m the weekly thread made me think about a pregnancy after IF thread :)

How far along are you? 

Diagnosis? / WWYDTGKU? (What were you doing to get knocked up)

How are things going?  How are you feeling?

Upcoming appointments?

Who have you told so far about your pregnancy?  Is there anyone you're not looking forward to telling?

Are you getting excited yet, or still in shock/disbelief?

What is an odd family tradition you had as a child, or still continue?

Re: PAIF - August Check-in

• mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited August 2018
    While I'm not happy any of us went through this, I'm happy I have people who KNOW.

How far along are you? 4+2

Diagnosis? / WWYDTGKU? (What were you doing to get knocked up) - Unexplained secondary infertility. We were doing Femara, trigger shot, progesterone and TI.

How are things going?  How are you feeling? Just got my numbers back from my first blood work and they were excellent. I do more blood work tomorrow. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. 

Upcoming appointments? They want me to come in between weeks 6-7 for the first u/s. 

Who have you told so far about your pregnancy?  Is there anyone you're not looking forward to telling? DH, a couple of my friends, and my principal (who is super understanding because she dealt with IF too). I'm not really looking forward to telling my dad, his reaction can go either way. 

Are you getting excited yet, or still in shock/disbelief? I'm ecstatic. I'm a little in shock because I truly thought we were out this month. 

What is an odd family tradition you had as a child, or still continue? Even when we were teenagers and were clearly aware Santa wasn't real, we still had to pretend otherwise we didn't get the Santa gifts. So they had 3 teens pretending Santa was real. hahahahaha. Looking back, it was smooth on my parents part.

eta: words are hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • @jrm_14 - he does and did not believe it; said that we just needed to keep trying and that sometimes it takes awhile. Not having his support is hard but I've gotten (kind of) used to it.

Telling people who also have IF is hard but I know I was happy when they told me so I had time to digest it. 
  • @50wife I love that all those people have been so supportive!  I’m ready to tell most people. MH is not. So, we will wait until we are on the same page. Once we tell his parents, everyone on earth will know!  
  • I do think we are going to tell our families right after the first ultrasound. I'm not very good at keeping secrets. 
  • @jrm_14 I'm actually shocked how many people have straight up been like welll???? have you heard yet?? did it work???  So I told a few extra friends that I would have liked to wait to tell, only because they asked and I just couldn't lie or think of a way around it. I panicked! lol 
    We're waiting before we tell more people though at this point.  I've been avoiding one manager - she knows what we've been doing so I know as soon as I see her, she's going to ask, but she's a talker so I'm like ugh I don't want her to tell everyone...but I can't lie to her face about it either.
    I don't blame you for being nervous to tell someone else dealing with IF. Do you know how you'll approach them? 
  • Thank you for this thread. After having gone through a spell of IF, it's hard to (1) not share the news, and as a result (2) not be able to find support.

How far along are you? 6 weeks

Diagnosis? / WWYDTGKU? Infertility probably due to Hashimoto's. Had been actively trying for 2 years (and I know people have gone through worse)...I was addressing my Hashimoto's through paleo/non-inflammatory diets and we think that maybe that helped it stick, who knows.

How are things going?  How are you feeling? Great, this is my first pregnancy and am confused as to why I don't have things like morning sickness. I'm secretly hoping that it's because my mom didn't really have any. I just have super sore breasts and occasional cramps. I'm honestly also a little scared b/c of the miscarriage statistics I've read for people with my condition, but I'm trying to stay hopeful and read the probability of not having a miscarriage thread instead.

Upcoming appointments? At 8.5 weeks--but my endo has already started monitoring my thyroid

Who have you told so far about your pregnancy?  Is there anyone you're not looking forward to telling? I told my parents and brother, which was somewhat disastrous because their worry over my thyroid problems surpassed any excitement. They're a little calmer about it, but it made me very sad at the time. Will tell my in-laws this weekend, and am hoping for a better reaction. I'm most scared to tell my PhD adviser, since he just gave me a promotion of sorts...

Are you getting excited yet, or still in shock/disbelief? More excited than anything, just slightly scared for the reasons stated above.

What is an odd family tradition you had as a child, or still continue? Can't think of one....I'm sure there exists one but perhaps it just seems normal to me hah!
  • @aggie0812 Your IF struggle is valid- this is not the Olympics :) Someone else’s IF journey does not mean your is less- only different!  Morning sickness does have a genetic factor. The more sick your mother or sister were, the more likely you are to be as well. 

@50wife People have straight up asked us, too. I told my mom, “we are still waiting to see if we get into the sept IVF cycle” & changes the subject. The down part of being open about IF tx!  
    I’m not sure how I’m going to approach some of the conversations with IFers. I liked to be told by text, in the evening time, so that I would likely be at home & have space to deal. 
  • @jrm_14 really appreciate you starting this thread, I love our fellow April folks but sometimes feel out of place talking about my fears etc.

@50Wife I purposefully told almost no one about TTGP because the ones I did tell would ask me every. single. time. they saw me if I was pregnant yet. And on another note, I am so excited that your one embryo worked and is growing!

@aggie0812 I'm sorry your parents and brother couldn't get past the thyroid issues to share in your joy. I really think when you tell more people you will get more support from those who don't necessarily know all about your struggles.

How far along are you? 4 weeks 

Diagnosis? / WWYDTGKU? (What were you doing to get knocked up) Hashimotos (medicated w/levo), TSH is currently 2. Letrozole/Femara, trigger, and IUI (the first two were with Clomid).

How are things going?  How are you feeling? Fantastic despite the crippling anxiety, mood swings, and nausea. I was convinced I was starting AF, no joke. But a straight week of bad PMS is not usual, as well as being up all night, so I tested.

Upcoming appointments? More blood work 8/15 for updated hCG.

Who have you told so far about your pregnancy?  Is there anyone you're not looking forward to telling? The wife and a good friend, but that is it. I'm trying to wait until the 2nd trimester, we'll see if I can get there. I'm not looking forward to telling my mom as she will a) be upset that I didn't tell her I was TTGP, b) tell the entire family, possibly the whole world, c) believes you are either barren or conceive easily, and doesn't know IF treatment really exists. I know a couple folks with IF and I think I'll let them hear it through the grapevine.

Are you getting excited yet, or still in shock/disbelief? Both! I've taken 7 HPTs. Is this normal? Completely shocked and in disbelief. And maybe it's my age, but I also feel a little like I'm back in high school and shouldn't be pregnant at all (because it's wrong).

What is an odd family tradition you had as a child, or still continue? I have no idea how odd it is, but on Christmas Eve we'd do normal things like have a big home cooked meal and drink hot chocolate. Then every Christmas Day, after presents, my family would go out to eat Chinese or Asian food for dinner and then go to the movies that evening. 
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • I have been attending a local IF/loss group. Tomorrow evening before group, one of the other women & I supposed to get dinner. I texted her this evening to tell her why I wouldn’t be at group and that I would understand if she didn’t want to do dinner. I could tell her heart was hurting SO much when I told her :( I’m glad she is able to recognize dinner was not within her limits of self-care right now. I’m also super sad to intensify her grief right now.  
  • @jrm_14 ugh I'm so sorry, that's just tough all around. And we've all been there so we get how she's feeling. I'm glad you told her beforehand and I'm glad she didn't try to just
    put on a happy face to meet up with you. Don't beat yourself up
  • Hi All, I posted on the intro thread and still cautiously posting everywhere - so nervous!

I am interested to see how/who everyone's told. We were super open with friends, family and co-workers about IF and now everyone is asking if we have updates. I wanted to tell parents and siblings tomorrow assuming our second beta comes back good, but H isn't super on board. He wants to say "everything looks good for now" - that's super inconspicuous, no? It's like saying we're pregnant but not actually saying it. Ugh, we'll have to figure this all out.. by tomorrow. 

How far along are you? 4w3d

Diagnosis? / WWYDTGKU? (What were you doing to get knocked up) PCOS / full history is in my siggy but we did multiple rounds of medicated cycles, IUI, IVF and finally FET. 

How are things going?  How are you feeling? I am doing great with the exception of anxiety. so much anxiety! Tomorrow's beta should help (first was 649) and I'm seeing my therapist Thursday - all should help. Physically, I'm good - just nauseous here and there and getting really bruised from PIO injections. 

Upcoming appointments? Beta tomorrow (8/15)

Who have you told so far about your pregnancy?  Is there anyone you're not looking forward to telling? See above. I haven't told anyone yet, but the cat is bound to get out of the bag sooner or later. 

Are you getting excited yet, or still in shock/disbelief? I'm in shock. I've been peeing on sticks since 5dpt and all have been positive. It just seems a little surreal. Again, numbers tomorrow should solidify everything! FX!

What is an odd family tradition you had as a child, or still continue? Our family has a celebration every year called 'Crixmas'.. We celebrate a few days before Christmas and have a great dinner and all go to a local dive bar to play darts and drink beer. It's great. 

hitched 5/2009 -- Me 34, DH 39

TTC #1:
    dx with POCS 7/2009
    TTC on & off since 1/2012
    September 2012; Surprise BFP - MC
    June - December 2013; Clomid/Femara + Trigger + TI = BFN x 4
    April - May 2016; Femara + TI = BFN x 2
    July 2016 - December 2016; Gonal-F + Ovidren + IUI = BFN x 3
    May 2018 - IVF #1; 8 snowbabies. transferred 1 embryo - CP
    August 2018 - FET #1 -- Healthy Baby Boy  <3

TTC #2:
    July 2020 FET; beta 1 310, beta 2 1278

• @madasm0530 We told several people about our treatments, too. Naturally, when you’re open, they ask for updates. H was the same way- open with treatment, but doesn’t want to share updates with everyone. When my mom asked, I said, “We are still waiting to see if we got into Sept IVF cycle.”  Non-committal, but still truthful. 
  • @madasm0530 Same! I've literally had friends text me asking if it worked.  Which I appreciate that they've been supportive through all of our treatment - but like if they were just banging every month, I wouldn't be texting them asking if they're pregnant.  Give a gal some time.  I feel like IF already takes so much from us, like at least give me an exciting announcement and not just a thumbs up text. 
    We told our parents the day of my bloodwork which was a Friday - we told them the bloodwork was Monday so they were super surprised! My mom literally cried for an hour she was so thrilled and relieved.
    I wish I had an excuse like @jrm_14!  We only had one embryo so I feel like everyone would know that I'd want to be burning buildings down or I'd be over the moon excited. Like if it didn't work, I wouldn't just be like oh we're seeing what we can do next.  
  • @50wife YES! I’m with you 100%. IF is such a bitch and when we finally get pregnant we have even more garbage to worry about. We’re not grand announcement people but I’d still like to say “WERE PREGNANT” instead of “our beta numbers look good” - what a buzzkill.

after beta results today we’ll probably schedule an US, so we’ll let that drive when we tell everyone.. maybe. I’m super indecisive! 

TTC #1:
    dx with POCS 7/2009

TTC #2:

• @mrstmoose those are fantastic numbers!

I'm so concerned about my betas. 4w1d was 459, then 4w3d was 845. I'm taking PG so they're not testing that. Just don't feel like they're rising fast enough. Going in for another one tomorrow at 4w5d.
  • @sheepshepherdess What did your RE say about the numbers? Do they seem concerned?  I'm sorry they're not rising way quicker so that you feel more comfortable, but I've got everything crossed for you that tomorrow's numbers doubled nicely and you can feel more confident going forward (at least a little bit!)
    Is your appt early tomorrow?
  • @50Wife Thank you <3 Yes, the RE seems a little concerned, which is the main reason I'm concerned. Appt is at 9:30a tomorrow and they usually get the results back before noon. Of course I did the tests at 2 different labs (my RE is 2hrs away so I use clinics or hospitals in their system that are 45mins to 1.5hrs away instead) so that's not helping the consistency of the numbers. Just not feeling really confident here.
  • @sheepshepherdess Ugh, damn, I'm sorry that they seem concerned as well.  I'm sure that doesn't help your worry!  Please update us when you can, I'll be thinking of you  <3
  • @sheepshepherdess Thinking of you ❤️
  • @sheepshepherdess also thinking of you. Any updates? fx.
  • Thanks all <3 Trying to meditate this afternoon a bit, it's not working! No updates today but the RE did say to use the same lab tomorrow as we used yesterday, for better accuracy. So 1.5hr drive it is.

As a side note, it's a good thing we have our own business, I don't know how folks who have a "real" job go through IF and now pregnancy. Going through IF treatments we had to be able to come in multiple times a month, whenever the cycle was right, and sometimes had appts scheduled for us. When I worked at Starbucks for a year, before TTC, I had almost no flexibility in my schedule, unless I planned weeks or months in advance, and it was nearly impossible to get someone to cover your shift last minute. I did work with a girl who was about my age who was heavily pregnant, and divorced. It was really hard to watch her struggle with the work load, scheduling, etc. 
  • @sheepshepherdess That's one of the main reasons I've been so open about going through IUIs and then IVF.  All of my co-workers know because I knew I'd be coming in late all the damn time!  But my sister is a nurse and was saying that if she were in my shoes, she doesn't know how she'd be able to do it with work.  I'm definitely lucky my work is understanding.  I actually told my male manager and he totally understood and told me that if anyone ever gave me shit for coming in late, to let him know and he'd take care of it! 
  • Just a friendly reminder for my PIO ladies to aspirate your needle! We've done months of these shots because we did multiple ERA cycles before our transfer, but this was the first time we got blood. 

• Very thankful that I'm doing suppository PG instead of PIO at these moments. Take care out there, needle warriors. 
  • @sheepshepherdess good luck tomorrow! 
  • 50Wife said:
    Just a friendly reminder for my PIO ladies to aspirate your needle! We've done months of these shots because we did multiple ERA cycles before our transfer, but this was the first time we got blood. 

Dang! Yeah, I make sure my husband pulls back on the needle before administering. I've been starting to bleed a bit afterwards but so far, no blood in the needle. My skin is just so sore now! How many more days does everyone have of PIO? I think I have about 30!
  • @sheepshepherdess I agree with you. That's so nice that you have a flexible schedule! I work in a production histology lab, so it's not all that flexible, but they have been pretty great about the process (the main reason I told everyone in my lab what was going on). My saving grace - besides how understanding my boss is being - is that my RE is literally 0.4 miles down the street from my work! That has been SOOOO nice. I actually chose my CNM (I have my first apt on Sept 7) thru the same system because I love my RE and the proximity to work is priceless. 

• @rennie1108 My doctor said they'd start to wean me around 8 weeks - so hopefully I can start cutting back in the next 2 weeks or so.  
  • My RE hasn't said yet when I will wean off the progesterone, for some reason I thought it was 12 weeks but maybe it was 8 weeks. Guess I'll find out more at my ultrasound.
  • @sheepshepherdess any update?  <3
    @50Wife I think there has only been blood once in all our shots, so not too bad!
    @rennie1108 At 8 weeks I can stop either the PIO or suppositories and continue the other until 10 weeks. I think I posted about this on PGAL but I really don't know which is worse.

AFM, I don't think I posted this but my second beta at 13dpt came back at 2724. Holy increase, batman! 

TTC #1:
    dx with POCS 7/2009

TTC #2:

• RE hasn't messaged me any results yet, but I know they're in the system. Going to call them in a little bit, Friday's get hectic for them but I'm dying to know!
  • *lurking*

@sheepshepherdess Hugs <3 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• 1417 today so they are worried about ectopic, but have to wait until Monday for u/s.
  • @sheepshepherdess Ugggggggghggggh. Be kind & gentle with yourself this weekend. Keep us updated.