March 2019 Moms

Tips for Homeschooling While Pregnancy?

pink_mangopink_mango member
edited August 2018 in March 2019 Moms
We’ve started our 4th year of homeschooling but omg I’m so tired. How do I overcome the exhaustion? I have feeling lots of school work will be done on my bed or the couch. But really, any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! 
Kayleigh USMC wife to Ben and SAHM to 2 boys

Re: Tips for Homeschooling While Pregnancy?

• I don’t homeschool (or even have a school aged kiddo lol) but have done some reading while daydreaming about doing the SAHM/homeschool thing. I know in my area there are quite a few co-ops and at least one private school that does a hybrid homeschool/classroom program. Maybe something like that would help spread the load.

On the bright side, you’ll probably get some energy back in a few weeks. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • I don’t know how independent your learner/s is/are, but the beauty of homeschooling is that you can take it slow when you need to. My 2nd grade daughter has high functioning autism. I leave out all of her week’s work on Monday morning and she knows she has to have it done by Sunday night. If she has questions or problems, she can come to me, but for the most part, she likes to complete her work on her own. My kindergartener works with me when we get a lull in the day, usually during our 2y/o’s nap. Same goes for reading/phonics with my preschooler. There are days and even weeks when, for one reason or another, we just can’t get a lot done. I don’t stress too much because I know we’ll get everything done eventually. Water, healthy eating, getting to bed early, and exercise really help me (when I can actually get them all in!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @mamakate1616 Unfortunately, we don’t have anything like that here. We have a couple co-ops but they’re so expensive. 

@momofmanyinthemitten I’ve planned very simple things this year I’m just so tired. Hopefully that turns around soon. We do most of the school work together except LA. I may need to pull Husband in for help. 
    Kayleigh USMC wife to Ben and SAHM to 2 boys
  • I don't homeschool yet, but I'm a supervising teacher for our home school assistance program. My job is to support homeschooling families. I agree with @momofmanyinthemitten, you have the flexibility to take it slow when you need to. Remember, learning doesn't just happen during school hours! 

I'm not sure of the age of your students, but you could take a unit study approach for a couple of weeks - let your kiddos study something that they're really interested in. Take them to the library, let them pick out some subject-specific books of their choice, maybe a documentary on the topic. When you're feeling up to it, research some activities or projects and have the materials on hand so when you do feel good enough, you can do the projects with them. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I homeschool and work full time (evening shift). Luckily this pregnancy has been fairly easy on me. We do a lot of independent book work too. On the weekend, I put sticky notes on the pages I want them to do each day of the week.  They come to me with questions. Some pages I write a note for them to do with me. My kids are 11, 9, 3 and 1. I try to fit a history or science lesson in every day but if we don't get to it, I don't stress out about it. I read somewhere that in times like this, stick to the basics (reading, writing, math).