December 2018 Moms
Options

Breast Pump Reccomendations?

Good Morning!

I’m a second time mom, but it’s been 3 years since I had to pump so I was wondering if anyone had any pump recommendations?  Used Medela last time and it definitely worked, but in the years since I have heard great things about Spectra.  

What did you Mamas use before and/or what are you planning on using this go around?  (Figured this would be useful as we get closer.)

Re: Breast Pump Reccomendations?

• Options
    The free one I got through my insurance was Ameda. It could be either battery powered or plugged in to the wall, so it was great considering the fact that I had to pump during my drive home from work pretty much daily. It worked fine for me, but I feel like there's nicer ones out there. I plan to ask my insurance if there's options this time around through them, or even if they could get me a different one at a discount, I just haven't called yet. So definitely check with your insurance! And if you get the free one and don't like it, it can always be kept for back-up!

I've also heard great things about Spectra, so I'm wanting to look into one of those honestly. I think I've heard good about both S1 and S2, they just have different general functions such as one is battery powered, the other isn't. I can't remember all the specifics though since I don't actually have one lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    I used a Spectra S1 and loved it. This time around I’m considering trying the new Willow pump but I still haven’t made up my mind yet. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got a Medela through insurance last time. It was ok, but I had very low supply due to some medical issues which may happen again, so I'm hoping to switch to Spectra, which I've heard lots of great things about. (Though it bet not make a difference, I'm excited to try and see.)

This is a great reminder that I need to call my insurance and figure out how to get the pump (I completely forget the procedure!)
  • Options
    katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    I got the medela pump in style last time through insurance. I need to call and find out what my options are this time. The medela was fine, but I had low supply and had to pump 5-6 times per day to produce enough for 2 bottles, so I would like to try something else this time and keep my medela as a back up. I’m also looking into the Spectra. 

ETA:  for anyone who is planning on pumping while driving, they have an awesome adapter available on Amazon that I just plugged my medela into. It works with any wall plug.
  • Options
    I’m not a STM+ but I’m thinking about getting about a Spectra S2.

Largely because I don’t feel like researching too hard, and several friends are happy with theirs. I don’t need super portability, and...that’s it. I’m just wanting to pump so that DH can help with feeding. I want to build up a small stash with the Spectra + a manual pump like Haaka for non-nursing side let down collection. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I’ve had 2 of the Medela freestyle (ds1 and ds2). I loved it both times, but had supply struggles with ds2. I made it to 9-10 months exclusive, but had to start formula for 1 bottle/day and stopped nursing at 1 year. I know that may sound like a success for some, but I really struggled to get to that and I didn’t plan to stop so suddenly - I hadn’t no choice. So I think I’m really interested in the spectra s2 from reviews. I was in a really stressful/unhappy work situation when returning to work after ds2...so I’m not sure if that led to supply issues too. 
  • Options
    When I did my research, I was really set on Spectra2 (it's portable/on battery and is a closed system), but then I found out it isn't available in Canada. So I think I will go with the Madela Freestyle (it isn't a closed system, but I figured it worked for many moms here, so it should work for me as well). 

• Options
    I used a freestyle with my first two (wasn’t covered by insurance but I splurged). I loved the portability of it, but it did crap out at the end. To be fair, I’d used it through two kids, pumping at work for 9-10 months with each of them, so I can’t fault it too much. 

I need to look into my options this time - might check out the spectra based on this thread. I also need to call insurance and figure out what will be covered, as that’s all new to me. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    For the Spectra users - S1 or S2?
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @temmetime S1. Confusing, but it’s actually the portable one (not S2 like you would think.) I’m a SAHM and barely need it but when A was in the hospital I definitely pumped in the car outside a coffee shop, and when I was struck with the urge to poop in the middle of a MOTN session. And as many of us know...when the urge to have a PP poop arrives, you do not ignore it! :lol: (Maybe I’m unhygienic. Sue me.)
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    I've heard only good things about Spectra!

But I went with the good ol' free insurance Medela and it worked awesome for me (i had a medium-high supply). A friend gave me hers, so I kept one at home and one at work. I loaded up on alllll the bottles, breast shields, and connectors for less frequent dishwashing. :D 
  • Options
    My insurance options for spectra are the S2 or the 9 plus? Does anyone have any insight into the 9 plus? I used the medela PIS last time and it worked, but I had low supply and had to pump for 2 30 min sessions to get 1 5 oz bottle, so the more suction, the better!
  • Options
    From the options that would be paid by my insurance (Cigna) I chose the Spectra S2.  It won't ship until end September and can't speak on it from personal experience yet.  I just read reviews and recommendations from BTDT moms.

With my daughters the insurance-paid pump wasn't a thing and I had an Ameda Purely Yours.  Didn't love it.  Can't say for sure whether it was the pump, me, or some combo of the two but I was really terrible at pumping and never could produce very much w it. Even when I was working from a home office full time and had complete privacy and convenience I couldn't produce enough with the pump and had to start supplementing when my second daughter was 4 mo old.  I tried everything, too. Never had a supply issue while breastfeeding, just pumping. I hope to have better luck with the S2.

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40 | SO: 32

DDs: 11, 7.5 |  Due: 22-Dec

We're having another GIRL!!  <3

• Options
    @texas_t isn't the Spectra a "hospital grade pump"?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tunnel They call it it a hospital grade pump, but it didn't feel like one? It's nice, but the one I rented from the hospital comes in like a hard case with wheels and is SUPER heavy duty, lol!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    They can't technically call it a hospital-grade pump because I think there are certifications involved, but like to say that it's as close to one as you can get. I used the hospital pump for 3 weeks when my son was in the NICU and that thing is definitely heavy duty like @texas_t said. I actually did prefer using it to my S1 (which I would use when we went back to the hotel at night), but when we got home and my milk actually came in it was just fine.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    I am really curious abou these hospital pumps you ladies used. Do you remember what brand they were? When I pumped at the hospital, they just wheeled in a Medela on a stand. I didn't produce any more using those than I did with my medela at home...
  • Options
    @katy0990 I believe mine was the medela on a wheely stand. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @katy0990 I don’t know all the details about what makes something a hospital-grade vs personal pump without looking it up, but one of the differences is that the valves are set up so no milk backflows from the tubing into the pump, so the pump itself remains sterile and can be safely used by multiple users as long as everyone has their own tubing, flanges, etc.

I think the hospital-grade Medela is called the Symphony? Can’t remember for sure. 
  • Options
    I should add (now that I'm not trying to Bump while walking) I think one of the big things Spectra does differently from most other pumps -- and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this! -- is allow you to adjust suction strength and frequency separately. The hospital pump was the same way. So maybe that's why Spectra claims to be hospital-grade.

@Katzalia Symphony sounds right!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @Katzalia That’s interesting because my Medela PIS was that way, too. That could be why I produced the same 1-2 oz with both pumps.
  • Options
    Has anyone used aeroflow or edge park to order breast pumps?
  • Options
    @hannelorre I used Edge Park last time and they were great.  I called when I was about 20 weeks and they said they would ship it by 36 weeks.  However, I received it by 24 weeks.
  • Options
    @katy0990 that's good to know. The less I have to talk to insurance the better my blood pressure.. Thanks! 
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @hannelorre I used Mommy Express and once they got my prescription from my doctor I had the pump within a week or two. I'm not sure of their range though in terms of what states/areas they service.  I got a spectra s2 fully covered waiting at home for me! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This is a super helpful thread.  I'll probably go with the Spectra S2 since the S1 is not an option through my insurance.  The S9 is though -- has anyone used that one?  It's supposed to be very portable.  I'm not sure how portable I'll need it to be right now, but it'd be nice to have the option. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kadeephd I used the Medela PIS last time, so I have never used a spectra, but I want to give it a try this time, since the suction is supposed to be stronger. I was also debating between the S2 and the 9 and I went with the S2 because the suction was not as strong on the 9 and according some of the reviews, it was not made for “significant” pumping. My thought was, I can always buy the battery pack for the S2 or plug it into my outlet in the car, but if the 9 craps out, the portability doesn’t matter.
  • Options
    @hannelorre I just ordered with Edgepark and it was amazingly simple.  Went online, put in my insurance info, got the pump within a week.

I went ahead and ordered another Medela because it worked well last time.  If it’s not broken, why try to fix it?
  • Options
    @awells189 thanks for the info! Did it show you all the choices you have once you put in the insurance info or something? My midwife said they'll give me an order at the next visit so not sure if I should wait for that. It doesn't sound like you need an order to go through these companies? 
  • Options
    @hannelorre If you go through Edgepark, they contact your midwife for you to get the paperwork. If you get the script, then you have to submit it, which seems like more work for you.
  • Options
    I have a breast pump question for you all: I have a Medela & lots of bottles & parts. I am interested in getting a Spectra this time because of all the wonderful things I have heard about them. Is it worth getting a Spectra over another Medela pump and having to invest in different bottles & parts? I'll keep one pump at work and one at home. I used Dr Browns bottles with DS & they're compatible with the Medela pump which helped a lot for my morning pumps. BUT, maybe it's not a big deal to just have the parts for the Spectra extra & at work especially if it's more comfortable & I get more milk. Gah, decisions. Thoughts?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @temmetime I just did a quick google search and found you can get bottle adapters for the spectra for $6.99 that work with Dr. Browns bottles.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @temmetime
    in addition to what @texas_t said you can always have 2-4 spectra bottles and then store your milk in medela bottles.  I had a Medela PISA last time and about 10 or so bottles, so that is my plan (as I'm getting the spectra 2), to pump into the spectra bottles and then transfer the milk over
  • Options
    @jens_hoes @texas_t thank you!! I just didn't want to put myself into a situation where it was more work than just getting another medela.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    @temmetime  As @jens_hoes said, I  wouldn’t worry about it too much. I used Dr. Brown’s bottles with my Madela pump last time, as well.  I did not even realize that those bottles were compatible with my pump, so I just would store the milk in the medela bottles or in a bag and transfer it to his bottles when I got home.I really did not feel like it was any additional work, but I didn’t know any differently.