Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Missed Miscarriage - 13 weeks

Has anyone had a ‘failed miscarriage’ with their first pregnancy and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy soon after? I was supposed to be 13 weeks today and just found out on Friday that there is no heartbeat. 

Im curious how soon after (especially after using Misoprostol) people have had successful pregnancies

Re: Missed Miscarriage - 13 weeks

• Options
    I've had 4 PGs and all 4 were MCs. It's taken me anywhere from a few months after a MC to get PG again, to closer to a year to get PG again. (I've never used Misoprostol, but either had natural MCs or D&C.) I've had RPL testing with REs and they have no idea why I have had all of my losses. There are no suggestions to fix this. However, I am not the norm, but rather the exception. I know you are probably reeling right now and just want hope. This is the hope. Many women go on to have successful PGs after a MC without a problem within a year. I've seen it. Take hope. Yes, there are some of us that don't, but if you become one of us, we are exceptionally supportive of one another. 

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

My first pregnancy resulted in a MMC at 8 weeks and I used misoprostol to move things along. The loss was identified in August and I got pregnant again in December which thankfully stuck. Good luck when you begin trying again.

A little additional detail on my cycles in between if you'd like any additional anecdotal info:

The loss was found the first week of August and I used the misoprostol that first weekend. I got my period again at the end of August but did not ovulate that month (I track). September was another odd cycle for me - it was short and while I did ovulate my luteal phase was very short. October was pretty much back to my normal cycle - a few days shorter than usual but I ovulated and had a normal luteal phase. My November cycle matched pre-loss my average cycles exactly, and I got pregnant the following cycle in December.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an ectopic for my first pregnancy and then a mmc for my second pregnancy.  I then had a CP, but I just had a healthy pregnancy.  There definitely is hope. I got pg right away after each "failed" pg once we were able to try again.  Sometimes there is no reason why the MC happens, and sometimes there is.  But, don't lose hope.
  • Options
    I had my first child with no complications three years ago. January we started to try for a second. Since then, I have had three consecutive CP and then last week had a MMC at 10 weeks. We seen our baby's healthy heartbeat two weeks earlier but our baby passed sometime during 9 weeks. I too used the medication and just finished bleeding today. It is tough and sometimes there is no reason or answer. My daughter is a constant reminder that one day we will be lucky and get to keep our second child. 
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your trouble and so grateful for all of your replies. Wishing you all the best  <3
  • Options
    I had 15 consecutive losses over the course of 3.5 years, of varying types (a few verified ectopic terminated with methotrexate, a few natural miscarriages, all outnumbered by chemical pregnancies).

With methotrexate, I had to wait 3 months before ttc again because it disrupts cell growth and is in your system for a while, but I don't think that's true for misoprostal. Outside of those, there were two times where I was pregnant again within a cycle, but generally it ran between 2 and four cycles on average to conceive again.

I am not sure what your age is or how prolific your ovaries are though, so it might be mostly just figuring out what works for you.

As far as moving on to a healthy pregnancy, yes, it definitely happens. Our sixteenth attempt occurred n the second cycle after our 15th loss, and we delivered our wonderful healthy baby girl three weeks ago.

I am still sad about what I lost, but, truthfully, I have absolutely no regrets about continuing to try for as long as I did. I am often uncrushably optimistic.

As someone mentioned earlier, those types and frequency of losses are absolutely not the norm. Most women go on to have a perfectly healthy and normal pregnancy shortly after a loss.

Good luck!
  • Options
    My very first pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage at the 12-week scan; no heartbeat for nearly a month, my prenatal vitamins made me so sick I couldn’t sense loss of symptoms with the hormone drop, and my body just wouldn’t let go. Got the D&C November 2015 when I was 29. I got my first regular cycle in January, and I got pregnant again that month. I actually got the positive test just after Valentine’s Day ‘16. I have no experience with Mistoprol; I’ve never had any fertility treatment.

My Batman is sleeping in my arms now, about to turn 2. I’m telling you this because I know pregnancy loss is very dark, and I it seems worse when your very first pregnancy ends this way. I can’t make you any guarantees, but want you to hold fast. I believe you will be a parent, and it’ll be sweeter because you’ve known this darkness.

But I will admit, pregnancy is forever marred for me. I haven’t told my husband about my positive pregnancy test 3 days ago, and I probably won’t until after my 8 week appointment. Because I can’t believe I won’t lose this one.
  • Options
    Congratulation Kathrene on your healthy baby girl! What a lot of challenges you went through to bring her here, but like you said, you're an optimist. So happy for you and your new baby!