Baby Names

Would you assume boy or girl...

Based on first name only, do you still assume Rory is a boy? Or do you assume girl?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
DS born 9/13/16
BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!

Would you assume boy or girl... 142 votes

Boy
53% 76 votes
Girl
46% 66 votes

Re: Would you assume boy or girl...

• I think of Rory from Gilmore Girls.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I also think of Rory from Gilmore Girls. But I remember a country duo named Rory + Joey where Rory was a male. I still feel the name is feminine though.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it could be either, such as Rory Kennedy or Rory Gilmore. I really wanted my daughter Victoria to have the nickname Rory but it didn't happen :disappointed:
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited July 2018
    Always boy. 

• I know the Gilmore Girls reference, but the only Rory I know in real life is a boy. 
  • I honestly don't assume sex with Rory, but I have met more boy Rory's, so I would think boy first.
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don’t assume either. It’s pretty unisex. The only Rory I’ve met IRL was a girl though. Short for Victoria.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • By far boy! 
    IMO, it's one of those names that people put on girls to try and be "cute" or "cool."
    I have a friend that -when I went to their house for the 1st time - introduced my to their dog Rorie, I said "Hi boy! How are you?" Annoyed my friend said "Rory is a girl!" Whoops!
  • I think it's pretty unisex at this point. I know both a boy and a girl Rory, and the first two references that come to mind are Gilmore Girls and Rory McIlroy the golfer.
  • Boy all boy
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I’d be surprised if a girl had Rory as a full name (vs nickname)
  • I think Rory on Gilmore Girls was a NN wasn't it?  Wasn't her name Loralai like her mother?

I knew a female Rori (full name) back in elementary school, but I always assume boy.  It's a fairly common boy name in the UK/Ireland.
  • @delujm0 - Part of why I picked it is because it's an Irish name. Over there and in the UK the name appears to be pretty much never given to a girl!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • I never watched Gilmore Girls but I knew of the show and main characters so when I see/hear Rory, I think of a girl as well. 
    Me: 28  DH:30
    Together since: May 2005
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1 with IVF & PDG/S (reduce the chance of our child being born with Nager Syndrome)

• @delujm0 - Part of why I picked it is because it's an Irish name. Over there and in the UK the name appears to be pretty much never given to a girl!
    I always think the same of Bryn/Brynn...it's roots are British and male.  The only Bryn I know is an old British man.  So when people name their daughters Brynn it is just weird to me.
  • meggyme said:
    I think of Rory from Gilmore Girls.
    This.
  • I also think of Rory from Gilmore Girls. I know a male Rory personally though. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• I knew a boy named Rory but my girl friends middle name was Rory. Id think boy initially though
  • Rory is def a girl in my book!

• I would not assume either way. I know one girl Rory and one boy Rory- same spelling for both.
  • Despite watching Gilmore Girls, my first thought is Amy and Rory from Doctor Who. So all boy. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think of Rory Gilmore!