March 2019 Moms
Options

1st Trimester Weight Gain

Hi everyone! So I am officially 10 weeks & 2 days! I'm super excited but a little annoyed that I've already gained about 9lbs. It's not too surprising considering I've been living off of carbs to keep nausea at bay. Anybody else dealing with weight gain already? 

Re: 1st Trimester Weight Gain

• Options
    I’m actually surprised, this is my 5th pregnancy and my first where I’ve lost weight. Only 2-3lbs, but i’ll Take it as my body frame can not afford to gain a ton of weight this pregnancy since I’m still carrying all my other pregnancy gains. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh, yes.  I’m in week 7 and have gained 6.  I’m not too happy but my nausea alternates with extreme hunger.   This really sucks as I’m high risk and was told to only gain 15-20 this time  :#  :(.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yup. Carbs are all I want to make my nausea feel better. I gained about 30 with each previous pregnancy and never got back to complete pre baby weight so I’m trying REALLY hard to keep in control now. I’m about 7.5 weeks in and up about 2 pounds. My stomach is noticeably bigger from bloat and probably the fact that I have spent 2014, 2015, 2016, and now 2018 pregnant
  • Options
    Ugh yes to weight gain here.... I actually have been too afraid to weigh myself which isn’t good, but I can just tell based on how my clothes are fitting and how I look. I’m nervous. I’ve struggled with yo-yoing my whole life. I’ve lost 40.. gained 30.... lost 40 again.... And that’s without Any pregnancies! But all I am craving right now are carbs. It’s really hard! 
  • Options
    Yep! i am 8 weeks and have gained about 4 pounds, already overweight too so yay. My first pregnancy i lost weight from food aversion, but this one i have much worse nausea BUT am also hungry all the time so i am tending to eat a lot of whatever gives me satisfaction. not a lot of junk food, but the only things i can keep down are carbs and fried chicken/fried fish. the thought of a baked anything makes my stomach turn. i am hoping once the 2nd trimester hits i can get myself back together and focus on more healthy choices. 
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit thank you for this!!! 
  • Options
    This is me also. I have to eat or else my nausea is so bad I'm throwing up all day. Cure is food especially carbs and always munching. I dont even wanna get on the scale. I'm almost 10 weeks and once I'm feeling better gonna walk more and watch what I eat. For the now imma try and relax. 
  • Options
    I’m going to echo @maggiemadeit;  with my first pregnancy I gained 10 pounds in the first trimester and another almost 40 after that. It all came off. Trust your body knows what it’s doing ;)
  • Options
    catlady2015catlady2015 member
    edited August 2018
    @purplepirate09 - I’m up two pounds, which is good for me (been eating less greens lately, etc with our move). My ob is very much aware of my usual workout habits and my body frame and she’s taking those things into account when she considers my weight gain. She’s definitely asked me to keep making smart food choices but acknowledges that if you’re feeling sick, anything you can keep down is good. 

I know there’s the scale of linear growth and it’s easy to say how much in each trimester but everyone’s body is different. You may gain more in first tri and not much in the second. Try to make good choices when you feel well and cut yourself some slack when you feel sick. Hang in there! 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    This is definitely something I’m struggling with as, like so many of you ladies, the only thing that seems to reduce the nausea is constant snacking on carbs....
    That said, the very best advice I got during my first pregnancy was to step away from the scale. Exercise and do your best to eat well and don’t worry about the scale or weight gain. Something I need to do, myself, right now!
  • Options
    bdesterhouse  Yes, I'm down some weight too.  Just haven't had a strong appetite.  Cutting out empty calories from wine and sugar have helped too.  I'll take the loose fitting pants for now.  Won't last too much longer!
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I gained 65 lbs (yep, you read that right). My doctor never said boo. Trying not to gain that much this time (it all came off but I heard it’s harder the second time around) 

SaveSave
  • Options
    ugh, yeah, I was hoping to lose a little before I got pregnant, and now I've put on 10lbs in the first 2 months which makes no sense because I have no appetite and I cut out beer!

• Options
    @flyingmombula its true.  It is so much harder the second time around.  I gained about 55 lbs with each of my last two pregnancies.  I lost all of it and then some after my first but never did after my second.  I really should only gain 15-20lbs this time tops but I've already gained 3 at almost 10 weeks.  I have not been eating well because there are only certain foods I can tolerate and they all happen to be carbs!
  • Options
    Last pregnancy, I lost 10lbs in the first trimester and ended up gaining 50lbs by the end. I was scolded repeatedly by my doctor - mostly because I was sustaining on burgers and ice cream. My baby was only 7lbs and I had to bust my ass to loose the last 20lbs. All that is to say, I don’t intend on stressing over my weight this pregnancy. I plan to eat less junk but so far I’ve already gained 4lbs. It is what it is. I’m trying not to stress about it and do what keeps me and baby happy and healthy. I just wanted to offer a different perspective because everyone will have a different experience with their bodies during pregnancy and postpartum. As long as you’re not putting down a gallon of ice cream every three days, I think you’ll be okay! 
  • Options
    Thanks for this thread. I’ve been feeling horrible recently. Like so many of you, the only thing to keep the nausea at bay is constant eating. It makes me feel sick to eat this much but the alternative is even worse. I’ve gained 5 pounds in the last two weeks. I’ve missed work. Hoping it all mellows out once the nausea passes and I have the energy to actually exercise again. 
  • Options
    Well I can say that my nausea seems to be leveling out a little bit (for the past day or 2). I've actually been able to eat pretty normal meals (with vegetables!). Hopefully this trend continues. 
  • Options
    I'm somewhat on the other end of the spectrum. My MS symptoms have been pretty mild with the exception of super smell and nausea in the evenings. I've been maintaining weight and that makes me a bit nervous too. I feel like I should be gaining a little bit of something, but I've been the exact same weight since my BFP a month ago.
  • Options
    @southerngirlinwi try not to worry about it. Baby is getting everything it needs from you. Baby is less than an ounce, so you probably wouldn't notice the increase other than your typical weight fluctuations. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water and taking your vitamin and it'll be fine.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    mappowellmappowell member
    edited August 2018
    I’m 11w1d and I’m up 3 pounds. But I lost a bit in the beginning so now I’m just starting the up swing. Those 3 pounds all gained in the last 2 weeks!
  • Options
    lucysmom2016lucysmom2016 member
    edited August 2018
    I'm going to be honest, I haven't been brave enough to step on my scale since the nausea kicked in. I've been eating constantly to keep the nausea at bay, but also haven't felt well enough until today to get to the gym, so I'm sure I've gained more weight than I should at this point.

Edit for silly autocorrect
  • Options
    Ok the weight gain has got me so down and depressed. I recently lost 50 lbs over the last year of working my butt off so hard and fighting my bodies natural desires of junk food and being lazy.  Since I got my bfp, my eating has been out of control. I'm eating all the wrong foods and indulging in everything. I feel like I'm eating for three people and I'm gaining back the weight so quickly. I just don't know what to do to change this vicious cycle
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Ok the weight gain has got me so down and depressed. I recently lost 50 lbs over the last year of working my butt off so hard and fighting my bodies natural desires of junk food and being lazy.  Since I got my bfp, my eating has been out of control. I'm eating all the wrong foods and indulging in everything. I feel like I'm eating for three people and I'm gaining back the weight so quickly. I just don't know what to do to change this vicious cycle
    I feel you.  I’m in the same exact boat.  I worked so hard and lost 50 lbs last year.  And now I’m eating non stop and it’s spiraling.  Have my 12 week appointment tomorrow and I’m terrified.  I’m trying to reign it in but if I’m not eating I get nauseous.  Ugh.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Twin pregnancy and hyperemesis and I'm down 10 pounds from my pre-pg weight.  :-/.  I just wish I could eat without pain or vomiting.  With my first pg I was down 10 pounds at 20 weeks but ended up at 30 pound gain from pre pg. 

• Options
    keikilovekeikilove member
    edited September 2018
    I’m a bit calmer about the weight now. At first I gained 5 pounds in two weeks, then a pound a day for the next week!!! The nausea lifted somewhat two weeks ago and i finally stopped having to eat 24/7. I’ve naturally lost 2 pounds of the 12 gained. I will be happy with 10 pounds in the first tri.

Now I’m working hard to incorporate gentle exercise & healthy eating since I’m feeling a bit of relief from the MS and have a bit more control of myself (instead of MS controlling everything).  
  • Options
    @lisee923 and @keikilove that is exactly how I feel. If I'm not eating I'm nauseous. This flat out sucks.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    With my first I gained 10lbs just in the 1st tri and 50lbs overall. I just stop weighing myself and put up with it when I go to the OB. I've only gained 2lbs this time and I'm 15w,2d. I say as long as you are eating healthy and trying your best, you will be ok no matter what weight you gain or do not gain.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19