October 2018 Moms
Options

Flu Shots

I don't usually get a flu shot.  Now with a kid being born right at the start of flu season - is there even any benefit in getting it while pregnant?  I'll ask my doc on Monday just want to see what others plan on doing.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Flu Shots

• Options
    The benefit with getting any vaccination during pregnancy is that some immunity will be passed to the baby in doing so. 
    A lot of the moms on this forum want to get it during pregnancy for that reason and a lot of others want to wait until later in the flu season for the formula to really be nailed down. Both decisions are good ones.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    A lot of the moms on this forum want to get it during pregnancy for that reason and a lot of others want to wait until later in the flu season for the formula to really be nailed down. Both decisions are good ones.
    For the second option - immunity passed through breast milk?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers   Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I usually get it while pregnant but since flu season around here doesn’t really start until December-ish, I’m on the fence on if I’ll get it or when. I talked to my doctor about it last appointment since we were discussing the TDAP but since it’s basically a non issue right now and would not be one during the pregnancy, she said it’s up to me. DH never gets it but I make sure the kids get it, which I was grateful for during this last flu season. 
  • Options
    I've heard that some immunity will pass through breast milk as well, yes.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    I never get the glue shot.. I'm not sure if ill do it this year, my friend was pregnant through last flu season and she was told no let to get it by her mom who works in the hospital. I dont remember why so I'll ask my doc
  • Options
    I have also heard some will, it is small though.
  • Options
    DD was born Jan 7 and my OB gave me the flu shot in Oct.  I asked her about it this time and she said if I didn't get it in office prior to delivering they would give it to me in the hospital, but after the appointment I was thinking about how I should have asked about passed immunity to LO.  The timing is strange since I'm due Oct 5th and they usually don't start doing flu shots until mid Oct.  
  • Options
    If it’s available before the end of my pregnancy, I will absolutely get it. I’d rather give LO even a small amount of protection than none at all. I also got it while I was pregnant with DD and DS. 

Also, my OB requires all pregnant patients to get it if it’s available. He will discontinue care if a patient refuses. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ughhhhh I hate the flu shot. Always feel miserable after, so I never get it. Guess I'll talk to my OB and see what his opinion is.
  • Options
    I always get mine in early October. There are certain conditions in Ontario where you can get it early, pregnancy being one of them, so I’ll definitely get it as soon as I can this year. Also, did anyone else get their tdap yet? I had mine on Monday and my arm was sore until Thursday.
  • Options
    I got my TDAP at my 28wk appt.  It was the same day I got referred to the hospital, but I got the impression that was their typical timeframe for administering it. 

I will also get the flu shot when available.  I do every year.  
  • Options

jenchoo said:

I always get mine in early October. There are certain conditions in Ontario where you can get it early, pregnancy being one of them, so I’ll definitely get it as soon as I can this year. Also, did anyone else get their tdap yet? I had mine on Monday and my arm was sore until Thursday.

I got my tdap yesterday at 28ish weeks. My arm isn’t super sore, but I think that’s because I spent the next several hours getting my office back in order before the school year starts. 

I will get my flu shot as soon as it’s available. In my area, that’s usually end of September-beginning of October.
  • Options
    I’ll probably get my TDAP next week. My OB is so different this time around. My previous one did everything in office. I have to go out of office to get it this time around. It’ll be my 3rd time getting this in 4 years!
  • Options
    I never got the flu shot until I was pregnant with Z. I got it towards the end of my pregnancy, got it last year when they started advertising it, and I’ll get it this year as soon as my OB mentions it. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    I have asthma so I get my flu shot religiously. My tdap is next Friday (blargh).
  • Options
    Got the TDAP yesterday (29ish weeks) and was feeling pretty amazing that it wasn't sore or anything, until I woke up this morning. But it's still not as bad as I thought, glad to have gotten it over with. 
  • Options
    I always get the flu shot, and it's covered by my work as I get a lot of exposure to illness. Also due to that I'll definitely be getting the shot when it's advised. The only difference I had when pregnant with DS, is they advised getting it through the OB office rather than other sources.
    There's a low something or other version that they special order for pregnant women. I don't remember the details now because I'm exhausted and we haven't spoken of it this pregnancy. 
    Plus my H is in a bad position if he gets sick, so I try to head it off before I carry it home. 
  • Options
    Just had the TDAP vaccine (3 days of arm soreness, blargh!), and I will get the flu vaccine when it becomes available after the baby is here.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jellybelly114jellybelly114 member
    edited August 2018
    This is probably an irrational fear bc science but I don't usually get the flu shot and I'm worried if I get it I will get sick or have some reaction. The only time I had the flu was in college the one year I decided to get it bc it was being given out on campus very conveniently. I was out of class and in bed for over a week feeling miserable. My midwife hasn't brought it up yet and I know I should get it I just don't feel very confident it's going to work especially after several coworkers had the flu last season despite getting the shot. I did get my TDAP a little over a week ago and my arm finally stopped being sore like 2 days ago! Was not expecting that. 
  • Options
    @jellybelly114 last year’s flu shot was not a good match for the dominant flu strain, and was only 23% effective. Most years it is much more effective than that. 
  • Options
    And from what I’ve been told by my doc, if you get the flu, having a flu shot makes it less severe. I get my shot every year, I did get the flu anyway last year and it’s not deterring me from continuing to get the flu shot.
  • Options
    I’m on the fence. I got my TDAP already and I’m very provaxx, but the two years I got the flu shot were the only years I got sick. Not the flu, just nasty virus’s. Also, being due Oct 2nd I wonder if it’s too early to get it. My doc hasn’t brought it up yet.
  • Options
    My boys get the flu shot since they are in daycare, however I usually don't. On the fence this year since baby will be starting daycare right in the thick of cold/flu season. My OB hasn't brought it up yet and I'm doubting she will until after i deliver based on due date.  As for TDap, I've only ever previously received it in the hospital after delivering. 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I have never got the flu shot (irrational fear of needles) but I have also never got the flu. I know lots of people who get the shot and still get the flu. 
    I'm getting the Tdap on Wednesday but I'm not looking forward to it. I really only get required vaccinations and travel vaccinations due to my fear.
    I will never be the person to give blood or get a flu shot. 

Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @chyvie, that's how I am. I've never gotten the flu shot and never gotten the flu. I get one or two bad sinus colds a year, but never the flu.

Being pregnant has made me much better about needles, mainly with not passing out/coming close to during blood work. However, I'm still terrified of my TDAP. And is part of the reason I'm trying to avoid an epidural (among other reasons).
  • Options
    @chyvie @sammierose464 +1 for fear of needles. I will say I got the TDAP last week and it really, really wasn't bad. 
  • Options
    I got my TDAP last week and literally didn't even feel the needle go in, granted the nurse I had was pretty awesome, but it isn't that bad. My arm was sore for about 4 days, but just an annoyance, not anything real painful. 

For the flu shot, I know you can't get the flu from the shot... but I always seem to be the unlucky person who ends up with a wicked bad cold or mild strain of the flu two days after I get it. If it passes some protection onto baby, it will be worth it to me though. 
  • Options
    For what its worth, I asked the nurse at my last appointment about the formula of the flu shot. She said it is the exact same formula from start to finish each season. they do not change it as the season goes on. Whether you get it in October or February it will be the same. 

I don't normally get the shot but I do during pregnancy so it is passed to the baby. Just because you don't get the flu doesn't mean these newborns wont. 

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    @sammierose464 the whole reason I tried to avoid the epidural with my first was the fear of that giant needle going into my spine. I ended up being ordered to get one by my doctor but it was iffy on whether it would take since I was at 8cm at that point. I will say... I’m glad I did. I held out with my daughter until my water broke as well but ended up getting one. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 - I was stuck with needles well over a dozen times while hospitalized with Max - including Seven!! starts or attempts to start an IV.  

The epidural stick was only notable because it came with a bunch of instructions.  I never saw the needle, and don’t recall feeling any pinch from its insertion.  

That said- I hope none of you who are afraid of needles need to get a steroid shot - those needles were fascinating (translation: ridiculously large). I totally giggled through the second one.  
  • Options
    @knottieamusements steroid shots suck! They’re IM so it’s a big needle, plus the steroids themselves burn! If I can avoid them this time I’m going to be so happy!
  • Options
    @knottieamusements yuck to th steroids! I had to get them with E, although I don’t remember how big the needle was or how It felt.