1st Trimester
Options

Getting A French Bulldog Puppy While Pregnant?

Hey all! I'm 6 weeks and 5 days along. First pregnancy, and feeling great. Just found out two weeks ago. Also just found out that after more than a year of being on a waitlist with my breeder of choice that I'm finally first pick for one of their French Bulldog puppies that were just born. Take-home would be late August. I'm due March 3rd, meaning I'd have 6 months to train the pup. I should also add that DH and I are the proud fur-parents of a 9 year old German Shepard mix, so we're already taking care of a dog. Thoughts on this? Any other French Bulldog owners on here? From what I've heard they are very "chill" dogs and will need much less than 6 months to be on a program.... but of course now I'm questioning it. Would love opinions! 

Re: Getting A French Bulldog Puppy While Pregnant?

• Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    What’s your plan for exercise for this dog after baby comes? Your other dog is older and has probably slowed down. This one will still be young and exercise will be an important component of setting it up for good behavior.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    @kiki75 - ah yes good question! my husband is down to do most of the running around. thankfully we have a large fully fenced in yard. while my dog now IS older, she is energetic when outside and actually spends a ton of time outside lounging as well. the fence is key! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We adopted a puppy when our older dogs were both 5,and it has brought way more energy to our older dogs :)
    I say puppy and baby is fine,they may grow up together bonding and have a great relationship.  As long as you have help at least for the 1st week or so and you have the pup house broken before baby comes, it will work out ;) it may just take alot of patience for both baby and pup from both you and your husband.
  • Options
    @harpseal135 - thank you! that's exactly what i'm thinking. i'm leaning towards going through with it! :) 
  • Options
    *lurking*
    I adopted a Pomeranian puppy when I was 6 months pregnant with my DS, i already had a 2 yr old GSD, and my DD was only 2.5! 
    My DH and I even work FT,everything turned out fine, we survived  :p 
  • Options
    I wouldn't personally but I also didn't like my dogs after having my baby. It's up to you if you are up for taking care of a baby and a puppy at the same time 
  • Options
    himarcy said:
    I wouldn't personally but I also didn't like my dogs after having my baby. It's up to you if you are up for taking care of a baby and a puppy at the same time 
    That's sad you did not like your dogs after having your baby :( 
  • Options
    himarcy said:
    Yea I loved them before having my baby but I had no idea what love was! I thought maybe it was hormones but it's been 2 years and I still can barely stand them. Actually gave one of them away to a friend. If I could do it over again I would have never had 2 dogs. 
  • Options
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:
    Yea I loved them before having my baby but I had no idea what love was! I thought maybe it was hormones but it's been 2 years and I still can barely stand them. Actually gave one of them away to a friend. If I could do it over again I would have never had 2 dogs. 
    Wow, I guess you truly never loved them.  Poor babies :( 
  • Options
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:

Maybe find a loving home for the other dog, too.

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Options
    harpseal135 said:mi
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:
    Wow, I guess you truly never loved them.  Poor babies :( 
    No, they are pets, not people, not babies. 
  • Options
    kiki75 said:
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:

The other dog is fine. I think she's happier now. 
  • Options
    harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited August 2018
    kiki75 said:
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:

Agree! Maybe the pup will actually feel what a true loving family is.

• Options
    himarcy said: 

Happier =/= happy.

TTC since Feb 2016
  • Options
    kiki75 said:
    himarcy said: 

Happier =/= happy.
    Yes just let me ask the dog and see if she's happy. Ridiculous, is a dog, not a human being
  • Options
    kiki75 said:
    himarcy said:
    himarcy said:

Agree! Maybe the pup will actually feel what a true loving family is.

She's not a pup and she's well taken care of. I just don't think the sun shines out of her ass. 
  • Options
    The verdit is in... We'll be adding the second pup to our home in a few weeks! Everyone is different, and personally I love my dogs as though they are family. We are a whole crew of dog-lovers around here, and we're super excited for this new little chapter! Looking forward to 6 months of training and getting the little guy acclimated before his baby sibling arrives. Thanks for all your input! 
    Yeah! Enjoy your new addition! Congrats!
  • Options
    muggle621muggle621 member
    edited August 2018
    Congrats on your frenchie! Make sure you have some savings set aside for just the frenchie. We have a frenchie and they are super high maintenance dogs and ours is pretty healthy compared to the breed in general. Make sure you do your reading on the breed because they can't be outside too long if it's very hot or very cold; they need to be on special dog food  from the get go since they have very sensitive digestive systems, and they often have respiratory issues because of their flatish face. oh and you have to wipe their butt after they poop because they have no tail so they don't get crap on the furniture. The only major issue (besides finding the right food) we have had with our 11 year old frenchie is he had 2 ulcers on his corneas which required surgery and a cone. It's pretty common for frenchies to get ulcers on the cornea b/c their eyes bug out so the tiniest little scratch can cause one. He only had to wear the cone for 1 week each time thankfully. They have the perfect temperament for babies though, ours loves our 4 month old. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    @muggle621 thanks for the info!! all good things! we're super excited about the temperament. i've been saving for this dog for literally a decade! we're totally ready and super pumped, despite some of the challenges they may have. i'll be sure to post a pic in a few weeks when he's home! 

• Options
    @indigoheightsblog Yes! I feel the same way! Pets are family! like I said in my comment earlier, I adopted a pom puppy when I was pregnant, already had a toddler and dog, everything went fine! no problems and especially no lack of love! I love all my babies, human and fur <3

• Options
    @alexand-3 i'm so with you!!! the more the merrier. it's been a dream of mine for quite some time, and i'm finally at the place in my career where i can afford one (because they are expensive dogs). i have a rescue already, which i'm happy to have done first and foremost, but having really saved up for this... it's time. and now baby will have a friend to grow up alongside! 
  • Options
    I have a Frenchie and a Boston, both are notorious for hard potty training. Other than that, they are the funnest and silliest of dogs.