1st Trimester
Options

Blighted Ovum? Could it be something else?

Hi there, I am writing for any hopeful stories that might be out there. I am a mom of a sweet 3 1/2 year old son. Everything with my first pregnancy was super easy including labor and delivery. I went off birthcontrol  in November and my husband and I started TTC in December. On Februray 13th I had my LMP. My cycles usually range from 28-31 days.  On March 13th I took a positive pregnancy test. I went to the doctors when I thought I would have been 6 weeks pregnant and had my OB (same doc as with my son) confirm I was pregnant (she said as she did the exam It's very, very early---which I thought was odd since I was 6 weeks but didn't think anything of it) I was scheduled for my US on April 12 which should have put me at 8 weeks. When the tech did the ultrasound she saw the gestational sac, but my doctor said I either have what is called a blighted ovum or there is a slight chance I had a longer cycle and conceived later. She said "Brace for the worst and cross your fingers for the best". I am driving myself crazy. Up until the ultrasound I was extremely tired, needing naps, breast tenderness etc.  I still feel these symptoms but am second guessing them now. I have had NO spotting, NO cramping, everything has been normal. Based on all of this  could there be any chance that the baby is just 5 weeks when I got the US or do you think that I am destined to miscarry. We were so excited for this baby and the timing couldn't have been better. My heart is broken right now. I can't sleep--I just think about this. The next two weeks are pure agony.

Re: Blighted Ovum? Could it be something else?

• Options
    izza2izza2 member
    Could be either case. Unless you were tracking your ovulation (OPKs, temping, u/s), you don't know for sure when you ovulated. You could have ovulated later than "normal".

I'm sorry you're going through this. Please take care of yourself and try to stay as relaxed/calm as you can during the next couple of weeks until your next u/s.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    Did they do a blood test? I had a blighted ovum, and one of the biggest things about it for me were lack of symptoms. For me basically the moment sperm and egg catch sight of each other I have symptoms. Also with blood tests my  hcg levels were barely rising. At 7 weeks I had what looked like a tiny bubble and that was it. No heartbeat or anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^ I’m also curious about bloods. Your body is providing more information, ask for tests!

Last year my symptoms were easing, but my progesterone was super low, and hCG was also low (barely in the normal range). These low levels helped us dx a BO, we didn’t rely on imaging alone. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Going through similar. What was your outcome?