October 2018 Moms
Options

UO 8/2

Its Thursday and of course I can't remember my unpopular opinion but hopefully you ladies have some good ones to get us started!

Re: UO 8/2

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Exactly. That's upfront, one-time. Then all the costs of having a child on top of that.
  • Options
    I definitely don't want to talk over your experience, jennybean. But what I meant by "all adoptees experience trauma, even infants" is that studies have been done showing that newborns separated from their biological mother at birth experience high levels of stress related to trauma. Now this may not transfer to the rest of the child's life but it IS something that everyone who is considering adoption should be aware of. That's simply what I meant.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    Our friends adopted a sibling set a couple of years ago, they are 6/7ish now. Their family does as well as they can considering everything, and I do think they are well equipped parents since she works with disadvantaged youth and has many connections to social services to help them. 

Right now my cousin and her husband are also looking to adopt, but I do think they are going through it from an angle that isn’t realistic. They will only accept a child at birth and think life will just be peachy and fine. Yes, that might have happened 40 years ago when my aunt (her mom) gave up a son for adoption and he “turned out fine” but there are a lot more layers in today’s world with complex feelings from birth mothers, options of open relationships, etc. I wish them luck if they do end up with a baby one day, but I’m just not sure they have thought through the years that will follow.

I will also add that this particular part of my family is very “pro birth” and basically want to shame anyone for thinking that a woman should have choice in that matter. So they will push that adoption is appropriate for anyone with an open heart. So yeah, there is that.
  • Options
    So I dont know really anything about adoption so take my UO with a grain of salt, but I think that when you agree to give up your baby to a family and sign that contract you shouldn't be able to go back on that once that baby is born. If the adoptive parents are chosen early on they go through so many of the emotions throughout the pregnancy and to get all the way through labor and having the baby and being told they changed their mind.. I can only imagine the heartbreak of not getting your baby.
    Again I dont know a lot of even a little about adoption so this opinion is really off of stories I've heard. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (:
  • Options
    One of my sorority sister's son had that happen @mamabearcj. They were expecting to adopt twin boys. They paid all the fees and the birth mother's medical bills (pretty standard). They found out just before the boys were born that mom changed her mind. It devastated them because they were having fertility issues. 

They had a good end to their story though. They ended up getting picked to adopt another child, and about the same time they brought her home she gave birth to a little boy. She has since had a 2nd child as well. I can't imagine the feeling of going through months of expecting to bring home a baby and then the birth mom changing their mind. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 I'm glad it ended up going well for them. In those cases where they pay for everything they should be fully refunded, idk if they were or not but it should be a requirement, that is so so much money and to end up with no babies for all of that!? No.. not okay 
  • Options
    I feel for the children who are in the foster or adoption system. I can't even imagine what life like that is like. I went to college with a girl who was in foster care most her life, she is a huge advocate for different things in relation. She speaks a lot about her experiences and how to support. 

I wish adoption overall were easier: to do it, to get a child, to pay for it, all of it. I had always said I would adopt if I couldn't have my own.
  • Options
  • Options
    @mytrueloves, 15 siblings?!?  :o  Holy moly, family celebrations and get togethers must be amazing!  <3
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    YES. It is one of the huge problems of the foster care system. So many foster caregivers feel like the children are theirs as soon as they're placed in their homes. They are NOT your children, stop acting like they are, stop treating their families like the enemy. If your goal is not to help reunify families, you shouldn't be in foster care.
    However, foster-to-adopt isn't exactly the same thing. Foster-to-adopt is a system by which people foster children whose families have already lost rights or are in the process of having their rights terminated. There's huge issues with both systems but at least people who intentionally enter foster-to-adopt aren't lying about what their intentions are.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    *who foster children whose families have rights etc with the intention of adopting them. Realized I didn't finish my sentence.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    My husbands Aunt and Uncle adopted an 8 year old boy from Russia in the early 90’s. He had lived in a orphanage for his entire life. He had fetal alcohol syndrome, so as a result he had some mild delays. They never addressed all of the trauma he experienced. He struggled in school, so they chose to homeschool him, I’m not sure if he graduated or not. He is also gay, and they refuse to acknowledge it. They are very religious and believe in the whole
    pray the gay away thing. The whole situation makes me sad. 

I wish their was better education for parents adopting. Many people don’t seem to understand that adopting older children means that they come with baggage and you can’t ignore it. Just because you’re a good person doesn’t mean you will magically “fix” the child.