Trying to Get Pregnant

No Cycle - How accurate is NFP?

SA0012SA0012 member
edited July 2018 in Trying to Get Pregnant
I've tried NFP in the past but thought it wasn't accurate without a regular period. 

However, CM has indicated ovulation for like a week straight now. Is this possible?? Is there a better way to be sure? I don't want to spend money on the tests if they might not work for me so I'd love to hear your thoughts first. 

Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: No Cycle - How accurate is NFP?

• suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited July 2018
    @SA0012 Please read everything in this link https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12685680/the-ultimate-ttgp-guide-newbies-read-this-first/p1 and let this post get buried down to the bottom. See you over in the daily newbie intro thread that this link tells you about :)
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• SA0012 said:
    I'm still nursing my 19 month old and just night weaned about a week ago. I still haven't gotten my period back at all yet. I've tried NFP in the past but thought it wasn't accurate without a regular period. 

However, CM has indicated ovulation for like a week straight now. Is this possible?? Is there a better way to be sure? I don't want to spend money on the tests if they might not work for me so I'd love to hear your thoughts first. 

Thanks!

Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• Loading the player...
  • SA0012SA0012 member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, I read all of it but nothing in there speaks to the accuracy of CM or OPKs with 19 months of amenorrhea. Am I missing something?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi @SA0012 - here are a few things for you to take note of. Typically one-off posts like this one are frowned upon since it clutters the very organized board. We encourage all newcomers to intro in the newbie weekly thread and lurk, lurk, lurk! Once you’re ready, feel free to jump right into the WTO/TWW Daily threads. 

Also, as a general rule we don’t normally mention children outside of the TFAS weekly thread since many lovely ladies here have not had their take home babies yet. Please use a **TW** if/when you do again. 

We have a special Monthly questions thread that would be better suited for your question, or the TFAS weekly check in since those ladies have (at least) one child and have more experience with what you are dealing with.

Best of luck to you!
  • SA0012SA0012 member
    edited July 2018
    @lilly91613 Thank you for all of this information. I do apologize. I read in the rules not to dirty delete (although that specifically mentioned for getting flamed, I just wanted to delete due to feeling badly about inadvertently being rude here... so... not exactly sure) or I would try to delete this post. I was able to edit it and removed any mention of anything that should require a TW.  Thanks and sorry again!

Update: I'm guessing the pinned post is a living document that gets updated as time goes on and the board culture changes. I just double-checked it because I thought I must have missed some of the things you brought up. I'd like to respectfully recommend that the living child TW and the TFAS acronym be added to the post. As of right now the TW section actually says, "You do not need a TW for topics such as children, general pregnancy, etc." However, I do understand the need for that and thank you for opening my eyes to it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker