February 2019 Moms
Options

First Time Mom Check-In (7/24-7/30)

Hey everyone, I thought I'd go ahead and start one of these threads, and see any other FTMs are interested in having a place to check in, catch up, and talk about what it's like going through all this for the first time.

1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby?

2) How are you feeling?

3) What are you nervous about? What are you excited about?

4) R/R/Q (Rants/Raves/Questions)

5) GTKY: What's your favorite TV to binge right now?

Re: First Time Mom Check-In (7/24-7/30)

• Options
    11 weeks. brussels sprout.

2) How are you feeling?
    The nausea and exhaustion were absolutely brutal for a while, but they're starting to let up. My prenatal depression is a little better too. I have good days and bad days now, and today is a good day so far, so that's really nice.

I was supposed to have my blood draw today for the fetal genetic testing, but my midwife had to cancel the appointment because she's at a labor. I'll get it done next week, and somehow my anxious brain has decided that this means there's something wrong with the fetus. Stupid brain.

I'm really excited about getting to feel the baby kick and move around. I know it'll be a while before this happens, but I'm just really eager to understand what that feels like.

I really, really, wish these first trimester symptoms would hurry up and go away.

The Handmaid's Tale! But that's finished for now. Lately, I've been watching lots of Grand Designs on Netflix, which is really relaxing.
  • Options
    I am 9 weeks and 4 days to be precise. The baby is as big as a tator tot! I thought that was cute. 

2) How are you feeling?
    I feel fine for the most part. I started becoming even more exhausted than normal this week which is a nice reassuring symptom lol. I’ve also been having issues with heartburn. I drank a soda last week and never recovered, lol. 

I’m an anxious mess. I waited two months for a psychologist appointment and was canceled on yesterday. I had to reschedule for next Monday and I was very disappointed and mad. Im anxious to know everything is ok. I’m excited to be out of the 1st trimester. I’m excited for my appointment on Friday. 

I love being at home watching tv. I never want to go to work any more. I’m soooooo tired. 

Vanderpump rules. Always and forever. I can watch those seasons over and over again. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jessier19 I’m sorry your anxious brain has taken over. I know how that is. The baby is probably fine *hugs*  I’m excited to feel the baby move also! That is going to be so exciting! I concentrated last night to see if I could feel anything. I couldn’t, lol. I didn’t expect to though. I was just hoping :) 
  • Options

9 weeks today. Size of a cherry!

2) How are you feeling?

Surprisingly okay. Just really tired and some serious bloat.

Aaand the depression has been pretty bad. Probably hormones but also probably our current living situation. We've got to move in September and don't have a clue what were doing yet.

I'm so excited to get out of the first trimester, but nervous for NT scan. Got a few more weeks before that happens.

I am so tired of getting up all night to pee. And my fiance is a snore machine so everytime I wake up it's so hard to get back to sleep!

I just started Cooked which is phenomenal so far. Gonna have to check into Handmaids Tale, I keep seeing so much about it. Oh and OITNB season 6 comes out on Friday, yess!
  • Options
    I’m 11 weeks 6 days- a lime! 

2) How are you feeling?
    honestly, a little anxious and on edge today. I have my 12 week appt tomorrow. I’m thinking I’m anxious to get my results from the 1st tri scan/testing. I’m sure it’ll take a billion days to process the blood work lol. 

i am excited to be in the clear and into the 2nd tri so we can tell people. Only 2 people know. I feel like a hermit with a huge secret. Lol. I’d love to have excitement, support, and joy all around if that makes sense? 

none

riverdale!!! 
  • Options
    antera23antera23 member
    edited July 2018
    So I know most people wait until after the 1st trimester to tell people? I feel like most FTMs tend to wait to tell anyone. Did anyone else spill the beans way early? I told people right away. I might be terrified of miscarriage but no matter what I wanted people to know about this baby. I feel like no matter what happens it deserves to be celebrated. Also, keeping it a secret made me feel more anxious. It’s almost like when I kept it a secret it reinforced my fear of miscarriage. 
  • Options
    antera23 said:
    So I know most people wait until after the 1st trimester to tell people? I feel like most FTMs tend to wait to tell anyone. Did anyone else spill the beans way early? I told people right away. I might be terrified of miscarriage but no matter what I wanted people to know about this baby. I feel like no matter what happens it deserves to be celebrated. Also, keeping it a secret made me feel more anxious. It’s almost like when I kept it a secret it reinforced my fear of miscarriage. 
    S+TM butting in. I think most wait to tell because as much as having support is very, very necessary with a loss, “un-telling” a shit ton of people about a pregnancy truly sucks. There is no right or wrong way to do it - whatever you and your partner think is best. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    jessier19jessier19 member
    edited July 2018
    @antera23 I told most of the people in my life right away. I did that partly because (TW) I had an early loss this past spring, and after that happened I immediately felt sad that it had been a secret. Having been through that once, I decided I would rather "un-tell" lots of people if that happened again. But also I'm just really really bad at keeping secrets in general, and in my case I had an extra hard time keeping it a secret because my morning sickness has been extra special TERRIBLE, and people started getting worried about why I was sick all the time.

It's really just a personal choice. I understand why most people prefer to keep it a secret early on, but for me telling people just felt right.
  • Options
    I wanted to tell close family early on, but most of them can’t keep a secret and would blab the info to the world  
  • Options
    cas060cas060 member
    edited July 2018
    We told my mil right after i peed on the stick.. she lives with us though. I told my siblings and parents a few days later and other then that no one knows except dentist/dr/eye dr etc.  :p  im 12w 2 days so far...
  • Options
    cas060cas060 member
    How many weeks are you? How big is baby?
    12 w a plum
    2) How are you feeling? 
    heartburn started and tired.

popping.. and people at work who i dont tell directly speculating lol.  Excited to feel movements when they start

tums... that is all
    5) GTKY: What's your favorite TV to binge right now? Just finished Glow.. orange starts this week!
  • Options
    hk0219hk0219 member
    jessier19 said:
    Hey everyone, I thought I'd go ahead and start one of these threads, and see any other FTMs are interested in having a place to check in, catch up, and talk about what it's like going through all this for the first time.

9w5d - bottle cap
    2) How are you feeling?
    Pretty good. Not much nausea or symptoms. But anxious 

Nervous about how will I raise a kid????! Thinking about it all the time. Will I be a good enough mother!
    I dont feel excited about anything yet.

Is an increase in hair fall in 1st trimester expected?
    When do you start to show as a first time mom
    When do we need to think about buying new pants

None 

• Options
    cas060cas060 member
    edited July 2018
    hk0219 said:
    jessier19 said:

9w5d - bottle cap
    2) How are you feeling?
    Pretty good. Not much nausea or symptoms. But anxious 

Nervous about how will I raise a kid????! Thinking about it all the time. Will I be a good enough mother!
    I dont feel excited about anything yet.

Is an increase in hair fall in 1st trimester expected?
    When do you start to show as a first time mom
    When do we need to think about buying new pants

None 

@hk0219

Im 12w 2 days and had to buy a size up in underwear only because i didnt like the band pressing right where the heartbeat was found on the doppler.

Pants. Im on 2 weeks vacation after this week and can already tell my work pants will be too tight by the time i return... and i havent gained any weight yet just things shifting around.
  • Options
    hk0219hk0219 member
    @cass06_07 I do feel my Jeans tight too. But just not sure what size to get. Maybe il browse maternity pants and get one just in case 
  • Options
    @hk0219 I think it varies a lot. I’m an FTM and I haven’t been able to wear my regular pants since week 8, but I seem to be an extreme case. I’ve heard other people say they wore their regular pants until after week 20 the first time around. 
  • Options
    Lurking TTM - @jessier19 I was in maternity pants by 10 weeks easy the first time. I gave up at 6 weeks this time. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    hk0219hk0219 member
    @jessier19 yeah even iv come across people who dint need to change sizes until 20 weeks..
  • Options
    11 weeks today. The size of a lime!

2) How are you feeling?
    Pretty good. Physically I've been extremely lucky and now the fatigue seems to be easing up. Mentally the anxiety comes and goes but it seems like that's also getting better. 

Right now I'm nervous about DH leaving for the weekend. He has been so incredible at taking care of me, making sure I'm eating regularly and picking up the slack. It's silly because it's just a weekend and I'm a grown woman and I'm feeling better than I was but what if....

Has anyone bought a massive pillow and if so, has it helped? I can't seem to get comfortable. 

Nothing. 8 o'clock bedtimes really impede on TV watching! :D

@hk0219 I've been wearing my pants unbuttoned or rolled down for a few weeks now. Thank goodness for long, loose shirts! I'll be investing in some pants soon I'm just overwhelmed by the options and don't have access to anything locally. I'm really starting to worry about how early I'm going to show. 
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby? 10 weeks today! Strawberry.

2) How are you feeling? 
    Like crap. Nausea is back with a vengeance and I have this annoying tailbone pain. The extreme summer heat isn’t helping much.

Nervous about a lot of things, but short term-wise probably my next US in two weeks. The last one was super reassuring, but I need to see that everything’s ok again. Excited about nearing the end of the first trimester! Only a couple more weeks to go!

Not right now.

Don’t judge, but I’ve been binging Grey’s Anatomy lately. It’s so soapy but it’s hitting the spot. Guilty pleasures etc.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby? 9 weeks, cherry

2) How are you feeling? 
    generally only getting nausea at night now so I stress all day until then

Scared s**tless about my 12 week scan. But that is my PGAL brain talking. If that goes well I can't wait to tell my family. 

nope

just finished all the episodes of dark tourist on Netflix and I think we are a out to rewatch game of thrones

On the subject of telling everyone early I'm sure it's different for each individual but I wish I hadn't told as many with my first pregnancy, mainly because every time I 'untold' some one I cried. And i think it would have been worse when i told my mum if she had already been excited about a grandchild 
  • Options

11 weeks, a fig (no idea how big a fig is tbh)

2) How are you feeling?

nauseous frequently throughout the day if I don't snack and a little run down but overall can't complain 

we've been waiting for the US to tell our parents and just reassure that things are going well.
    Excited that my best friend who lives in Alaska will be home next week and we're having her take family photos (DH, me and dog) and the last set I plan on surprising her to use as baby announcements 

Big rant ahead.  I finally had my first appointment today and felt like it was a complete waste of time. My husband and I both took half days at work for the appointment and we were there for 3 hours (literally the lights in the exam room turned off because they're on a timer) and the only things that were done were a urine sample, quick heart/lung ausciltation and vaginal swab sample for STD testing (it'll be negative). The med student, nurse and resident asked basically the same questions 3 times and assured us it was normal to not have an appointment or US earlier than 11 weeks. The resident then proceeded to tell us she'll order a blood draw and US with radiology to schedule at our convenience. Now I'm glad I'm healthy and everything seems to be going fine but am super pissed that nothing was accomplished today and feel like today was a huge waste of time. Ugh, could really just have used some reassurance that everything's ok after waiting so long for the appointment. 

We're also binging Grey's anatomy (but it's our first time through) or Friends 

• Options
    @ksdelong20 are you in the US? Maybe ask in the thread for S+TM questions bc that doesn’t seem normal to me. 
  • Options
    TTM lurking - @ksdelong20 unless you have to have a dating US, it seems like it’s getting more and more normal to not have an US and appointment until later. With 1.0 in 2013, first appointment was at 6 weeks and US was done same day. With 2.0 in 2015, appointment was at 8 weeks and US was done later that week. This pregnancy, they didn’t want to see me until 10 weeks and no US until 12 was quoted as standard. They went based on LMP which was way off so my first appointment was at 8 weeks and I had a dating US at 6 weeks - my last cycle was super wonky so I knew I ovulated at least two weeks late. And I was right. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    Lurking as well, last practice I saw was the same, no appointment until 10 weeks, first ultrasound was at like 13. This was in 2014. 
  • Options
    @kayjay44 and @madreofdragons 12 and 13 weeks?! I would drive myself crazy if I had to wait that long. My practice schedules both US and dr appt same day between 8-10 weeks and I always thought that was standard. 
  • Options
    And WTF why did the bump change my name?!? 
  • Options
    The Bump app has been SUPER glitchy for me today. 
  • Options
    @mpants209 - it’s highly dependent on the area and type of practice. Some people I know in other areas don’t get a scan until 20 weeks. It’s crazy how non-standard it is. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    I'm 10 weeks and 6 days. 

2) How are you feeling?
    Too be honest, very blah. Had my first ultrasound and still not exactly psyched for this motherhood thing.

I'm nervous about everything. I'm not really excited at all.

I hope I'm not the only one here who has no experience with babies whatsoever. I've never touched a baby, so I'm kind of freaking out.

Breaking Bad for the millionth time.
  • Options
    @mzkrinkle not the only one with no experience!
  • Options
    @mzkrinkle - DH had never held or touched a baby either and he did great from the get go. Now it’s old hat for him. Newborns are pretty easy - all they do is eat sleep and poop. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    @mzkrinkle The last baby I held was my youngest brother, his 20th birthday was yesterday. I’m sure we’ll do just fine!
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @megpants209 @kayjay44 @madreofdragons

I'm in the USA and we have a very large hospital that serves a big, mostly rural area so that might be part of it. It just surprised me as a FTM that they did nothing to verify it is a viable pregnancy and then the resident tells me it's mostly for billing purposes that radiology does the US on a different day. Especially since I'm a new patient to this ob/gyn practice and they didn't ask questions about how long we had been trying or the regularity of my period or anything other than a family history of genetic disorders. I guess I didn't know what to expect and seeing other people here and FB posting US as early as 6 weeks I thought I'd be going home with proof this is really happening
  • Options
    s2604s2604 member
    @antera23  @jessier19–  Gurllll I hear you about being anxious. It’s like a part of me won’t even let myself be fully excited because I keep asking myself “what if something goes wrong?” Every time I go to the doctor, the nurse tells me my blood pressure is high and wonders why. Is it really not obvious?? Lol. Now I’m in Week 13 and we go for genetic testing/ultrasound on Tuesday. I’m excited to see the baby again, but nervous of course. Know you’re not alone! 
  • Options
    13 weeks - a jalapeno! 

2) How are you feeling?
    So tired, the exhaustion came back, but at least the nausea has mostly subsided...

Nervous about giving birth - thanks every article about the US having the worst maternal mortality statistics in the first world...  
    Excited about the 1st trimester symptoms subsiding!

I really have zero desire to buy any maternity clothes ever.  I haven't yet gained weight but obviously that will change, I'm planning to hold out with my 'normal clothes' as long as possible.  Where does one even buy maternity clothes?  Why doesn't Banana Republic make maternity clothes??

HIMYM, every episode but the last one