March 2019 Moms
Options

Travel Tips

It sounds like a lot of us plan to travel while we're pregnant (or even after our LOs arrive). Any tips?  Tricks?

Re: Travel Tips

• Options
    Are you looking for traveling with kids or just while pregnant?
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    The H and I are going to Spain and Portugal next week. My nausea and fatigue are through the roof so it's going to be an interesting trip. I traveled in the first trimester when pregnant with both of my girls, but I don't remember feeling so sick with either of those pregnancies.  Any tips for dealing with nausea?  Or suggestions on food when we get there?  (I know the food over there is very seafood-focused which makes me sick to even think about!)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @meggyme we must have posted simultaneously!  My other post lays out my questions, but I'm sure others will have more. :-)

(and I may be avoiding work and trying to keep myself busy here instead)
  • Options
    brookepdavisbrookepdavis member
    edited July 2018
    My best advice would be to listen to your body and not push yourself too much. Plan some down time each day to recover and rest. The actual travel days are always the hardest for me because with flight delays and airport nonsense, you are just uncomfortable and stressed for hours on end. 

Also, I started wearing compression socks for flying starting at 20 weeks. They're super unsexy, but they helped a ton with the swelling and discomfort of sitting on a plane for a few hours. 

I used to travel for work and I was on a plane every 3 weeks up until I was 32 weeks with DD so if you need any advice about the logistics or comfort of plane travel while pregnant, I'm happy to help! Also, when we get to pumping and milk storage while traveling by airplane, I'm your girl. I've done it all!
  • Options
    @dtspmama there's lots of great non-seafood options in Spain. We were in Barcelona in May and had to go looking for paella as it wasn't on most of the tapas menus. There's lots of ham and cheese, the papas bravas are yummy, bread and tomatoes. We were traveling with a non-seafood eater and had no problem finding delicious things for her to eat. @Morningstar80 is in Madrid, so she might be able to help you out with local dish suggestions.

As for the plane, dress in layers and keep cold water available. I get extra nauseous when I'm hot, which can be unavoidable on the tarmac before the A/C kicks in. Maybe keep some mints or ginger candy available.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::