Baby Names

Help! Name Spelling? Keira/Kira (pronounced KEER-a)

So at 7 months we FINALLY picked a name we love. <3 Keira/Kira! (pronounced KEER-a) Now a problem I didn't even consider, how the heck to spell it?!??! I don't want to set her up for a lifetime of people messing it up (speaking or spelling wise) so what do you think makes the most sense to pronounce "KEER-a"? 

Keira 
Kiera
Kira
Kirra

Thanks!

Re: Help! Name Spelling? Keira/Kira (pronounced KEER-a)

• bawagsbawags member
    I think Keira is the best bet to get the pronunciation you want. I would avoid Kiera as I think people would pronounce it key-air-ah. Kira would probably work too. Kirra seems redundant with the double r. Good luck choosing!

• Loading the player...
  • I think Keira or Kyra.
  • Kira or Keira are the ones I know and they don’t have many issues

• Kiera. I before e.
  • I would also use Kiera. You will probably have to correct peoples' spelling just because there are different options, but I believe between Kiera and Keira I before E is the original and I would pronounce either like you're hoping.

Kyra makes me pronounce it with a y like the ky in Skylar.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • cantrelljacantrellja member
    edited July 2018
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to use the 'Kiera' spelling due to the i before e rule. In names, doing it that way would mean a pronunciation of "Kee-air-uh". If you want the pronunciation to be "Keer-uh", spell it Kyra or Keira. Other names that use the ei spelling for a long e sound include:

Keith
    Leigh
    Keiko
    Keisha
    and of course, Keira
  • Keira. 

Kyra would be pronounced ky-ra. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• catem07 said:
    Keira. 

Agreed. 
  • Keira 
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Keira.  Ciara is pronounced the same especially for Irish people, but then you’d have some people assuming it’s like Sierra.
  • My cousin is Keira and pronounces it “care-uh”. kyra I would pronounce “ky-ruh”. Kira I would pronounce the way you are wanting. You may just need to come to terms that her name will be mispronounced and misspelled unfortunately.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a friend growing up who spelled it Keira and pronounced it Keer-a. It frequently was mispronunced as Cara-a as there were several kids with the names Cara and Kara. So correct people when they mispronounce it and don’t let it bother you! Beautiful name!
  • catem07 said:
    Keira. 

This
  • AlyLynn07 said:
    catem07 said:
    Keira. 

This
    AlyLynn07 said:
    catem07 said:
    Keira. 

This
    AlyLynn07 said:
    catem07 said:
    Keira. 

This
    Oops quote didn’t work the first time. This is what I was agreeing with
  • Kira is the only one that works for me. 

Kyra would be be long I sound. 
    Keira would Key er ah

• Keira
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • My niece is Keira and pronounces it Keer-a. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a cousin named Keira and mispronunciation hasn’t been an issue for her. Originally in the hospital her mom thought she was going to spell it “Kiera” but a nurse who read it on the white board asked “How is Key-air-uh doing today?” So they changed it to Keira before the birth certificate signing ;) I think you’re less likely to have pronunciation issues with this spelling
    Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• I have a friend name Keara, she doesn't have issues with people pronouncing her name
  • My name is Keara pronounced the same way. Would recommend, I really love my name .
  • I work with kids and have had a few girls cross my path with this name. The easiest spelling to get the correct pronunciation in my opinion is Keira.