January 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight - diaper bags

I'm not posting all the questions,  because I think we can all agree it's too much so let's just discuss. 

Re: Product Spotlight - diaper bags

• I'm looking for a back pack style diaper bag with insulated pockets for bottles.  Anyone have a recommendation?
  • wkuandreawkuandrea member
    edited July 2018
    I love Skip Hop bags! This is the one thing I did a lot of research on, ha. (here is the link to the version I have. I also bought an insulated bottle tote in the same pattern) I bought one when Babies R Us was going out of business. Mine is not a backpack, but I know they make them. Alternatively, the black or grey Eddie Bauer one they sell at Target seem to be popular with my set of friends -- it has a little pocket on the outside that holds wipes with a slot for them to come out, which could be useful?

ETA link to the Skip Hop bag I have above

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• Loading the player...
  • I loved the Timi and Leslie diaper bag I had for DS, and I'll be using it again for this baby. I looked on the Timi & Leslie website, and it looks like they are no longer carrying the style I have, but I found it here. It's a splurge (MIL got it for me as a shower gift), but I wanted something that didn't scream "diaper bag."

Pros:
    -stylish
    -comes with changing pad, wet bag, insulated bottle bag, and (my favorite) a clutch.
    -has detachable stroller and cross body straps
    -plenty of room/pockets inside
    -high quality; I used it for over a year, and it shows very little wear

Cons:
    -heavy
    -expensive
    -I occasionally wished it had an option to be a backpack (not a deal breaker for me, though)

Now that DS is older, I use a Kavu Rope bag since I don't have to carry all the things. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited July 2018
    I used a Skip Hop bag the first year with DS1, but I was a light packer and didn't need so much space most of the time. Switched to a PB Kids bag (bought it used for $30!) when I had my twins, and it is still what I use when traveling.

My favorite though is my backpack diaper bag, bought off Amazon for $30 (they have a ton of options in that price range). Backpack is a must-have if you have more than one LO, imo. This is the one I have, and I love everything about it except the wipes holder thing. (Edited to fix link)

Multi-functional Nursing Backpack Large-capacity Diaper Bag Portable Nursing Shoulders Bag Trendy Mummy Outdoor Backpacks Practical Nappy Bags for Mommy and Baby https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797PMR4Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tV2vBbJ7QSPNP
  • I have the jujube BFF bag and I love it. With my first baby I had a skip hop tote bag and I hated it because it always fell off my shoulder when I bent over to pick up the baby, and it wasn’t sturdy enough to stand up on its own when I was digging through it. With my second baby I bought myself the jujube with some birthday money and it has held up great and I still love it. Don’t plan to get anything new with this babe! The only con is that it is spendy $$ but it’s basically my purse every day and it has been well worth the price to me! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Has anyone had a Petunia Picklebottom?  I love the way they look, but would want to make sure it’s just as functional. 
  • emmaaaemmaaa member
    When DD was first born I had this one: https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Backpack-Diaper-Arbor/dp/B00U6YP4ZG/ref=sr_1_17_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1532462324&sr=8-17&keywords=jj+cole+diaper+bag

I LOVED it. It had plenty of room and I always used it as a backpack. DH decided to be funny one day and put it on his back with the straps not loosened enough and flexed thinking it would be funny to pretend he's strong enough to break the straps...except he actually did lol. So it  no longer worked as a backpack and I hate shoulder carry.

So then I got one like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2X6B2P/ref=twister_B07F7RC7XY?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 

It is not that exact one but it's the style you see advertised all over FB. I really like it for the most part but it's not as pretty as I'd like. So I will probably buy another one for both babies once this one is here.

I would love a leather bag but none of them seem to have the space I want and enough compartments. Most seem to basically be a big hole and no dividers which would drive me crazy

DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• tosh24tosh24 member
    For those moms looking for simple/compact, I used a crossbody diaper bag that I loved. I had a typical huge one with DD that just ended up getting stuffed full of unnecessary crap and killed my neck and shoulders because it was so heavy. Bought a smaller crossbody with DS and will use it again for this babe. Just enough room for a couple changes of clothes, extra diapers, diaper cream, small toys, my phone, keys, and water for me. Didn't use bottles because I BF so didn't have to worry about that. Fit feeding gear just fine when DS started on solids too. Mine also came with a changing pad. DH complained incessantly about the "girly" diaper bag we had with DD and much preferred the blacl crossbody because it was more masculine.

Here's a link to the style I'm talking about. I don't have this bag, but one that is similar (mine might be a smidge bigger):

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/ju-ju-be-helix-onyx-collection-messenger-diaper-bag/5011787
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• I second the jujube BFF bag. It's what I used with DD2 and we'll use it again. I used it as a shoulder bag but I'm going to hook up the backpack straps this time. Most days now I just carry a little skiphop ladybug backpack because DD2 likes to carry it herself. The jujube bag will be good for both kiddos stuff though.  
  • @galactickates this was DH diaper bag, but it's the one that gets used the most now. I loved the insulated pocket for when DS was young I liked not having to worry about bringing an extra cooler 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • With DD1 I had a Vera Bradley over-the-shoulder bag that my mom got me as a gift. It’s not what I would have picked, but it worked. 

For DD2, I wanted a backpack because two kids and only two hands. I’m so glad we went with a backpack. I originally bought an Eddie Bauer one but quickly decided it was too small and returned it. We then went with a manly Columbia one per MH’s request and it ended up breaking, so that went back. He surprised me by buying me a Freshly Picked bag and i’m Never getting anything else! I love it and it’s big enough to hold stuff for both girls. I bf DD2, so we didn’t have much need for a separate insulated bottle holder, but if we did we had a separate insulated bag. 
  • I'm also hearing about anyone with a Petunia Pickle bag. I see a lot of people like the backpacks but they just seem too large/onerous for me so looking at something a bit smaller with a change of clothes, couple diapers, and like 1 book and 1 toy. I am probably crazy thinking that's enough but I'd like to at least try being a diaper bag minimalist. :lol:
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @drabong88 also got that bag for DH and end up both using it all the time now.

the reason we use that one all the time is because BACKPACK DIAPERBAGS ARE THE BEST. Hands down they make life so much easier. Carrying the baby? Pushing baby in a stroller? Have baby in a carrier? In a cart? No worries, backpack doesn’t interfere with any of that. 

I am planning on buying a backpack diaper bag this go around that has more pockets. I don’t think the Columbia one allows me to separate things enough so I end up digging through the bag all of the time. This is the one I’m most interested in for 2u2 and in cloth:

KiddyCare Diaper Bag Backpack - Multi-Function Waterproof Maternity Nappy Bags for Travel with Baby - Large Capacity, Durable and Stylish, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749NXWS7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-Q6vBbMHEK5F8
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• galactickatesgalactickates member
    edited July 2018
    I have the Columbia bag and this one in my registry right now. I'll have my H be the tie breaker,  although i'm partial to the Puloa.

• @mrsmang I have the petunia picklebottom boxy backpack and wanted so badly to love it but the straps pull my hair! 

This is the one we have and I love it! Been using it almost a year and still works great.  
    HapTim Multi-function Large Baby Diaper Bag Backpack W/Stroller Straps-Insulated Bottle Pockets-Changing Pad,Stylish & Durable(Dark Gray-5284) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8LK3ET/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pn7vBbAQA0XEH
  • @galactickates I would go with the Paloa! The one upside to my shoulder diaper bag is the pockets - I felt like I could keep everything super organized. With the Columbia I can’t. It’s very minimalist in terms of pocket space which makes it almost impossible to break things up. But it IS simple which my H likes.
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• @Kabazaba and @mrsmang I bought a Petunia Picklebottom bag for super cheap at Nordstrom Rack and hated it! I had to take everything out of the bag when I was looking for something. We ended up only using it when we went places that the bag could potentially get dirty (i.e. a baseball game) and I didn’t care. 
  • Thanks for the PP bag reviews - looks like I need to reconsider a backpack type bag.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• @galactickates I just bought the Haptim backpack and I LOVE IT! It has insulated bottle holders. It also has a ton of pockets, and has stroller straps. My friend has another Haptim backpack for her 2 little ones ans she says it holds so much stuff! Not a bad price too. There are a lot of different styles, but I ultimately chose this one:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCWVQN1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• @Whitmore1027 I had looked at that one. I'm actually torn between the two. Good to know from someone who has one
  • hlb8179hlb8179 member
    edited July 2018
    Another vote for the jujube bff backpack!  I got it three years ago with DD. It has held up amazingly and we still use it all the time. It’s more expensive but at this point I’ve more than gotten my money’s worth. I contemplated getting a new one with this LO since it’s a good excuse to buy something and I’m not really a diaper bag style person but I know this one is still perfect. I like how durable it is, that you can move the straps to various carrying positions, and that it holds lots but is easy to dig thru. It also has a lot of other coordinating accessories that you can buy as needed. I purchased a coordinating insulated bag for taking all the bottles to daycare. 
    That being said, this so depends on your lifestyle. We frequently spend days out and about or eat out at restaurants, and I like having a lot of toys and books to keep her busy still. 
    ETA link: Ju-Ju-Be Legacy Collection B.F.F. Convertible Diaper Bag, The First Lady https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0P7SZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7DkwBb23A01D4
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • One other tip for STM+ : I keep a small bin in the trunk of my car with extra diapers/wipes, first aid kit, outdoor blanket, and a few toys/books, then all I need in my actual diaper bag is a changing clutch with a few wipes, one diaper per kid, a back-up outfit, and snacks. I'll add a burp cloth and and nursing cover for this babe and call it good.
  • Also, I scored the jujube bag on Zulily for a pretty decent discount. I was looking at them and wasn't sure if I could pull the trigger on the cost and I instantly snagged it when I saw it on Zulily.  But it would have been worth it at full price.
  • Backpack diaper bag is the way to go! I consulted DH too before deciding on a diaper bag because he was going to carry that sucker around too, ha! He liked the Skip Hop back pack. I would say after 2 years it is starting to wear out (something to consider if you are having more than one kid).
  • kaf1788kaf1788 member
    edited July 2018
    I've seen a few mentions of Skip Hop bags, but did anyone use the Skip Hop Greenwhich backpack specifically? (the faux leather one with the tassles). That and the Freshly Picked backpack are the only diaper bags that appeal to me aesthetically, but neither have an insulated bottle pocket. Does anybody feel strongly one way or the other about that? Is it a must have?
  • @kaf1788 I have the FP bag and cannot day enough good things about it. I love how big it is and that I can use it as a regular bag. I didn’t care too much about the bottle pocket because I bf’d DD2 and if we needed a bottle with us I just threw our insulated bag in my diaper bag. 
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that the Petunia Picklebottom bags are on zulily right now. 
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • This is what I have and LOVE IT!

https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Backpack-Diaper-Black/dp/B00QC27UEY/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1532890612&sr=8-4&keywords=jj+cole+diaper+bag+black+gold

It can be used as a shoulder bag, messenger bag (across the body, this is how i use it the most), or backpack. It has straps built in that stay hidden until you want to turn it into a backpack instantly. It holds a lot of stuff and has space for my things as well. It looks like it could be a travel bag or other bag besides diaper bag once I don't need a diaper bag anymore. It doesn't have any insulated areas, but I've done well with using other things that insulate then stuffing those in the bag.

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Does anyone (or their spouse) use the diaper bag from Tactical Baby Gear below? DH saw an ad for it and really likes the look.  I'm thinking of it as a gift idea for him, but it's pretty pricey so I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has some: 

I would definitely be getting a separate bag to use myself.  I like this concept (and am happy to see baby gear targeted to dads), but it's definitely not my style lol

• I have the petunia pickle bottom boxy backpack and I absolutely hate it. It is like a giant black hole where everything gets lost. I would 100% never recommend it to anyone. 
  • greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited July 2018
    I should probably put this on the Monday B Fest, but I am so mad at Burlington Coat Factory/Baby Depot! We found an amazing Eddie Bauer diaper bag backpack that fit my husband's enormous shoulders AND me and was waterproof and came with a changing pad that we both liked. It had a tag on it that said $13 and we were like amazing, let's go. At the register, the lady said oh you got this with a men's clothing tag. Then she dug inside the very bottom of the bag and it had some weird receipt thing that said $40. I asked the manager if they'd honor the price and they said no, were brusque about it, and kept saying "you have this tag on it" as if I had put it there. She said this is Eddie Bauer it wouldn't be $13- as if I was dumb and not at a discount store- I was like yea that's why I picked it up!  It was permanently affixed with a legit price gun. I love deals, was so bummed, and didn't buy it.

BTW, I only just heard of the brand Petunia PickleBottom and it makes me lol.