Baby Names

Cullen

CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
edited July 2018 in Baby Names
My husband and I are considering Cullen for our son who's due in November. Our daughter's name is Reagan. Is Reagan and Cullen too cute-cutesy? Is Cullen too twilighty or have we moved past that? His middle name will be David.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cullen

• mb0112mb0112 member
    Cullen and Reagan dont seem cutesy to me but I do have the Twilight association.  That shouldn’t be a dealbreaker, it is a loose association and wont last forever. 

All of the aside, I prefer Colin.
  • I did immediately think Twilight. Colton or Collin are similar.
  • Loading the player...
  • @kmvisioli Am I nuts or were you on the O16 board at one point??

Ehh, not a fan of Collin or Colton. The Twilight thing is honestly not deal breaker. I feel like it's lost practically all popularity. The kids his age surely won't have that association.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first thought was Twilight, too, and I haven't even seen it or read the books. 
  • David pairs much better with Reagan
  • @saham07 well, that’s our daughter’s name, soooo...  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @saham07 well, that’s our daughter’s name, soooo...  :D
    What I meant was , Reagan and David sound better together as a sibset then Reagan and Cullen. Reagan and Cullen sound a little sing-songy to me.
  • Don’t like it with Reagan and I immediately think Twilight since that’s basically the only reference to the surname in general, so as a FN I assume mom was team Edward 

• Mom nor dad has ever seen or read twilight haha. We just like the name. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CopperBoom86CopperBoom86 member
    edited July 2018
    @saham07 Ohh, gotcha. I hate David for a first name, so that’s out. 

Well, I just can’t seem to hit on a winner here. You guys hated Reagan in 2016, hated our original choice for this baby, which was Knox, and now Cullen. I just can’t imagine naming my child something super popular or super antique, which seem to be the norms here. My name is Thea, so maybe I’m just partial to slightly unusual names. Oh well, back to the drawing board, I guess! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CopperBoom86 yes! I had twin boys in September (was on Oct2016 board since that was my EDD). I thought your name looked familiar! Congratulations on your new little guy! When is he due? I am expecting again in January.

FWIW I actually do like Knox ;) 
  • @kmvisioli I thought I recognized your pic and bump name! Congrats on the twins and the new babe! I’m due 11/4. This one was a bit of a surprise, but we’re excited to have two so close in age. 

We both like Knox, too, but the older people in our lives are not fans... like H’s parents and our grandparents. Knox and Cullen are the only two names H and I have agreed on so far, so it’ll most likely be one of the two. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mb0112mb0112 member

Well, I just can’t seem to hit on a winner here. You guys hated Reagan in 2016, hated our original choice for this baby, which was Knox, and now Cullen. I just can’t imagine naming my child something super popular or super antique, which seem to be the norms here. My name is Thea, so maybe I’m just partial to slightly unusual names. Oh well, back to the drawing board, I guess! 
    Honestly Knox and Cullen are both not my style but if you are upset at the opinions and in your gut you have chosen one of those, and  be you have felt secure in your choice of Reagan, choose the name you love. 
  • @kmvisioli I thought I recognized your pic and bump name! Congrats on the twins and the new babe! I’m due 11/4. This one was a bit of a surprise, but we’re excited to have two so close in age. 

We both like Knox, too, but the older people in our lives are not fans... like H’s parents and our grandparents. Knox and Cullen are the only two names H and I have agreed on so far, so it’ll most likely be one of the two. 
    Our first and then the twins are just shy of 18months apart, and now it's really fun how close they are and how well they play together most of the time. You will totally rock it!

I think if you pick a name you both love your family will eventually get on board. My sister took at least a year to come around on our first's name, but now even she says it suits him and she can't imagine it being different.
  • mb0112 said:

Honestly Knox and Cullen are both not my style but if you are upset at the opinions and in your gut you have chosen one of those, and  be you have felt secure in your choice of Reagan, choose the name you love. 
    agree
  • bawagsbawags member
    I did think of Twilight and then just the phrase " to cull" which can mean a mass killing off of something. That kind of turns me off. What about Callum, Collin, or Calvin?
  • I have a student named Cullen Hames and he generally goes by CJ. He’s 15 so his name definitely wasn’t a Twilight reference haha

I don’t love Cullen but it’s definitely not a horrible choice by any means. I would go with the name you love
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • If I had posted my daughter's name on here I would've gotten plenty of negative feedback. :D 

That said, I do think of Twilight when I hear Cullen but the books and movies are all done so I really don't think future generations will have that association. And just because I think Twilight, I wouldn't automatically assume that's why he was named Cullen.

Also, you and your husband should go with whatever name you love most, honestly!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • cantrelljacantrellja member
    edited July 2018
    I, for one, am just really, really tired of the two-syllable, surname-sounding,  ending in the 'n' sound  names: Cullen, Colton, Collin, Carson, Nolan, Nathan, Braden, Caden, Dylan, Aidan, Declan, Grayson, Gavin, Hayden, Jayden, Teagan, Tristan, Kieran, Logan, Lachlan, etc. There are many, many more. 

I AM OVER IT

Almost as bad (but not quite....yet) are all the two syllable names that end in 'r": Connor, River, Carter, Tanner, Fisher, Dexter, Asher, Cooper, Becker, Jasper, Palmer, Thatcher, Wilder, Trevor, Parker, Calder, Hunter, Tyler, Ryder, Sawyer, Jeter.

I am so tired of all of these that I long for someone to name their boy Robert and call him Bobby or William and call him Billy. All of the 'n' and 'r' ending names are so unoriginal, repetitive and interchangeable.
  • I, for one, am just really, really tired of the two-syllable, surname-sounding,  ending in the 'n' sound  names: Cullen, Colton, Collin, Carson, Nolan, Nathan, Braden, Caden, Dylan, Aidan, Declan, Grayson, Gavin, Hayden, Jayden, Teagan, Tristan, Kieran, Logan, Lachlan, etc. There are many, many more. 

I AM OVER IT

Almost as bad (but not quite....yet) are all the two syllable names that end in 'r": Connor, River, Carter, Tanner, Fisher, Dexter, Asher, Cooper, Becker, Jasper, Palmer, Thatcher, Wilder, Trevor, Parker, Calder, Hunter, Tyler, Ryder, Sawyer, Jeter.

I am so tired of all of these that I long for someone to name their boy Robert and call him Bobby or William and call him Billy. All of the 'n' and 'r' ending names are so unoriginal, repetitive and interchangeable.
    Boy names are hard! I have three, and every time we think through names it seems like they're all either too old/traditional or too trendy/weird or we already know so many. I think a lot of the names you ranted about are an attempt at finding the middle ground between traditional and overly trendy.
  • @cantrellja I'm assuming you're lucky enough to have a last night that will allow for names like that. Unfortunately, we do not. I've already shared my first name on here, so I won't share my last, but just know... you'd be rolling if you heard what William or Billy sounds like with our last name. Names that end in N are generally safe for us unless they start with a W.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am lucky that our last name is pretty ok with most names. And I didn't really want you to name your son Billy or Bobby-- it was more a point I was making. I know you said you received negative responses to Knox but I think it's much more interesting than Cullen. I don't think you have to go with a yuppie/old fashioned name. A few other ideas:

Asa
    Eli
    Tal
    Clark
    Drake
    Piers
    Rhys
    Beck
    Kerr
    Lowell
    Grant
    Brock
    Holt
    Brooks
    Reid

• I think the name Cullen is adorable.   Kudos for going with something that hasn't been done to death.  I did think about Twilight for about one second, and then realized how nice Cullen sounds on its own.