October 2018 Moms

Salmonella- Raw Turkey

I was just looking up about the crackers and came across this from yesterday. 

Salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.com/amp/health/nationwide-salmonella-outbreak-linked-to-raw-turkey/3804136/

Re: Salmonella- Raw Turkey

• chopchop25chopchop25 member
    edited July 2018
    What the heck? I definitely need to go look for more details...raw turkey is quite a broad statement...

edit: looks like ground turkey specifically. I really hope I don't have to throw away the meatballs I made last night. I guess at least we hadn't eaten any...
  • Looks like ground Turkey, Turkey pieces, and whole turkeys. Sorry my WiFi at work sucks and didn't want to load my whole post
  • Loading the player...
  • It's okay @nmadjeski - looks like this has been going on since Nov and they still can't identify a brand. I saw one article with a date range, but all the rest wouldn't confirm dates so it sounds like details are still very up in the air.
  • It's also in pet food
  • Doesn't chicken and turkey like naturally have salmonella, thats why you have to cook thoroughly and wash hands/boards?! I didn't read the article though.. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Laumb11 my question exactly doesn't it not matter since it has to be cooked anyway.  I was wondering the same thing during the mass egg recall.  Isn't there always a risk for salmonella in eggs?  I don't get why that was any different than usual.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • @chopchop25 I see that now. The article I included was just from yesterday so I thought it was more recent! I'll have to look more into the dog food too.

@Laumb11 Salmonella naturally occurs in the intestines of the bird but not in the meat.