Baby Names

Girl name help

DH and I recently found out we are having a baby girl and we are struggling to come up with a name we both like. The only thing we do agree on is that we want her to have the option of a nickname and no crazy spellings or super trendy names. I’d love to have some outsider input on our current picks and maybe suggest others that might work?

DHs picks:
Philomena
Diana
Louisa
Mary Jane 
Prudence

My Picks: 
Harriet
Genevive 
Bernadette
Margaret
Eleanor 
married 7.11.09
Me: 31 DH: 36
DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Girl name help

• These are all really refreshing choices! I like Diana, Louisa, Harriet, and Margaret best.

Mary Jane makes me think of shoes or marijuana, and Prudence sounds a bit uptight, so I would ditch those two. Genevieve and Eleanor are both pretty popular/trendy where I live.
  • Love Eleanor with the NN Ellie. Also Eloise is a great option. Diana is a nice choice as well. 

Other options you may like are:
    Sadie
    Magnolia NN Maggie
    Helen
    Ruth
    Gwyneth 

• Loading the player...
  • bawagsbawags member
    DHs picks:
    Philomena- love 
    Diana- nice
    Louisa- love
    Mary Jane - cute, but don't care for nn MJ
    Prudence- not a fan

My Picks: 
    Harriet- like it, but not nn Harri
    Genevive - not a fan
    Bernadette- like it, but not nn Bernie
    Margaret- like it, but not nn Maggie.....I know too many dogs and cats named Maggie
    Eleanor- love

Suggestions
    Eloise
    Miriam
    Margot
    Florence
  • @JLaVO888 I actually had a cat named Magnolia Elizabeth who we called Maggie that died last year. I love Helen though!

Ruth is a beautiful name, but our last name starts with R which makes her sound like a marvel character. It’s why we cut Ramona and Rowena from our list. 
    married 7.11.09
  • Filomena was on my list for DD so Philomena automatically  gets my vote! Love love love

honestly though all great, the only one I might vote no on is Eleanor just because so many Ellie’s right now

• This is a great list.like, fucking kudos for having great taste. I'm particularly partial to 

Philomena
    Diana
    Louisa
    Bernadette

Also suggest

Tabitha
    Nadine
    Ophelia
    Agatha

• mb0112mb0112 member

Philomena
    Diana
    Louisa
    Mary Jane 
    Prudence

My Picks: 
    Harriet
    Genevive 
    Bernadette
    Margaret
    Eleanor 
    Some great options here, my favorites are Philomena, Genevieve, Louisa, and Diana.  Probably Louisa as the front runner.
    I also like Eleanor (nn Nora) and Margaret but they are popular.

Suggest-

Wilhelmina
    Winona
    Beatrice
    Jacqueline
    Theresa
    Barbara
    Henrietta
    Isadora
    Florence
    Helen/Helena
    Ellen
    Maura
    Laurel

• JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited July 2018
    The name Imogen/Imogene/Emogene (spelling??) just popped into my head and it felt like it’s your style too. 
  • I like Philomena, Genevieve, Bernadette, and Harriet the best. I think my favorite is Bernadette. The only ones I would personally say no to are Mary Jane (marijuana) and Eleanor (super cute but so popular along with other Ellie names).
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Love Harriet!

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You and your husband are on the same page it looks like! I really like most of our names. Prudence nn Prudy is super cute. Also Margaret nn Margie (totally unexpected). Really, the only one that I don't care for is Diana. 
    I would like to add:
    Maxine nn Maxey/ Max
    Edith nn Edie
    Gwendolyn nn Gwendie/Gwen
    Francine nn Franny 
    Henrietta nn Etta
    Colette nn Coco
    Miriam nn Miri

• Thank you for all of your input! I love some of your suggestions too. I think we are leaning towards Philomena for the meaning (DH’s confirmation saint and patron of impossible causes). I was worried it was too different, but after your reactions I think it strikes a good balance. Now we just need to figure out a good middle name...
    married 7.11.09