October 2018 Moms
Options

STM Advice - First Few Months Postpartum

slizteesliztee member
edited July 2018 in October 2018 Moms
I would like to kick this off by asking STM's:

How much time did your spouse/partner take off of work to help with the newborn?

My husband could take up to 8 weeks with 50% pay, but so far, we feel that 4 weeks might be sufficient. What do you feel like would have been the best amount of time when you were adjusting to motherhood? Did you have enough spousal/partner support in those early days?

Please share your experiences, if you feel comfortable! 

Re: STM Advice - First Few Months Postpartum

• Options
    Additionally, if anyone would like to comment on other early newborn days regarding visitors, caretaking, snacks, Netflix binging, or anything else, bring it!
  • Options
    +Question

What kind of snacks were best to keep around the house? Did you have any food aversions different to pre-pregnancy, or were there certain things (carbs, proteins, etc) that you found you were seeking?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    When DD was born DH had just started a new job so he wasn't entitled to any leave.  She was born on a Thursday night, so he took off Thursday and Friday with PTO, then had the weekend off and was back to work on a Monday.  Then he took at week of PTO after I went back to work so we could keep DD out of daycare an extra week and he could get one on one time with her.  This time he gets 4 weeks paid and we haven't decided how to break that time down yet.  Probably two weeks at the beginning and then two weeks once I go back to work, and maybe some PTO time too.  Honestly being home alone with the babe wasn't nearly as awful or overwhelming as I expected.  
  • Options
    @kfrob what was the most valuable time for your H? Was it just having time to help them bond, or were there certain things he did or helped with to help that process?
  • Options
    My husband worked from home at the time and he runs his own business so he didn’t take any time off with either kid. He’s not going to this time around either. Being alone with the baby was really nice. We had my mom with us for the first couple of days with A, just to help us get settled and help clean/do laundry since I had him 3 weeks early and we weren’t prepped. I was out of the house and running errands though by the 2nd or 3rd week. I’m not a huge germaphobe. With our 2nd, we had her a few days before Christmas and we saw everyone at Both families’ Christmas celebrations. We also had a lot of people stop by to visit, which doesn’t phase me. Most people know to stay away if they’re sick so I didn’t have any issues with sick people coming by. We actually had three babies celebrating their first Christmas with my husband’s family. E was the youngest at 4 days and my niece was 4 months old.  A lot of it is your comfort level. I was 3 days post partum with my family Christmas Eve and it was very uncomfortable. Just take it easy and listen to your body. 
  • Options
    Lisa3379Lisa3379 member
    edited July 2018
    DH took a month off, which was great - well, he was actually home from Dec 4 through Jan 10 or so, because Christmas break was in there, too. He couldn’t really help too much in the middle of the night since I was nursing exclusively at first, but it was just nice having him there to take over so I could have a nap here and there. I also had my in laws over for a few weeks, so we had even more help. When DH went back to work, I was nervous, but we had enough time in there to establish a routine and I quickly realized I was just fine. So yeah, I’d say a month with DH at home was perfect - enough help to not be overwhelmed, and he had a great opportunity to bond with the baby, too. 

I feel like for me, DH will be so much more helpful this time around because he’ll be mostly in charge of DS - meals, taking him to the park, etc. 

Edit: just re-read your post. If your DH could take the other 4 weeks later, I’d absolutely recommend that. Mine took 4, then 4 more weeks of leave when DS was 7 months old, and then the other remaining 4 weeks right before he turned 1 (all time had to be used by the first birthday). It was so awesome to get that time together at different stages of that first year, and I know my DH would agree - he had a lot more fun with DS when he was 11 months old than 2 weeks, haha. 
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    DH is commission based self employed so he doesn't get any paternity leave but he can make his own schedule. He likely will take a week off at the beginning and then again at Christmas. He will also be able to work from home some days. 
    Luckily I have my amazing MIL around the corner. She will be able to come help anytime I need. She just told me today she wants to take a grandparent prenatal class to get a refresher to ensure she know all the new stuff since it's been 41 years since she has DH. 
    My two best friends will also be on mat leave same time as me so we can meet up lots. I'm really looking forward to that. 

Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    @chyvie that's awesome!!  I'm glad MIL is looking for the newest safest info and that you have such a great support group during this time
  • Options
    FTM here and DH is thinking 2 weeks. I am bummed it isn't longer as I love tike with him but I also am looking forward to him being out of the house so I can figured stuff out without judging eyes or lack of  sleep cranky husband (and me) and get a routine. 
  • Options
    With DD my husband got two weeks of leave (Air Force) and then we had to move from Kansas to Idaho. We really struggled with sleep, so I was glad to have him home. Baby was colicky and wanted to be held or in swing all the time. I was actually at my parents’ house since we were moving and that worked out well too. My mom did all of the cooking, made sure I had snacks, and helped with the nursing issues. She fed me lots of trail mix, lactation promoting snacks, and the mother’s milk tea that helps with lactation. I swelled really bad and had some pretty bad tearing from delivery, so mom made sure I had rest and spent time on the couch or recliner. We had only a few visitors. Most looked, but did not touch the baby and I thought that was nice. After I got to Idaho with the baby we were in a hotel for two weeks and that actually ended up being good bonding time for us. I highly recommend having a mom around. 

This time my husband gets 3 weeks of leave when the baby is born. He is looking forward to having longer to adjust together. My mom will be here for a month and his parents will come as my mom is leaving for tenish days. I’m relieved to have my mom, but a little more nervous about his parents. His mom doesn’t cook and they like to go out and act like it’s vacation when they come here.
  • Options
    With DS, my H planned to take off 4 weeks, but ended up going back to work after 2 because he was going completely stir crazy. He’s not the type to hang around the house, so he needed to get back to work to stay sane. When he was off, it was nice to have him around for the initial
    figuring out what the hell we were doing as parents, but once we got into our groove, I was fine on my own. This time may be different since we also have a 2 year old now, but we’ll see what happens. 

As for snacks and things I kept around, basically anything that was easy and quick to eat.  One handed things that werent too messy were a plus, so I could eat while feeding him. Didn’t reallt crave anything specific, but I wasn’t ALWAYS hungry when I was breastfeeding, so I felt like I was just constantly snacking. Also always thirsty, so kept a water bottle at my side constantly. 
  • Options
    It depends on your baby and who else you have around to help you. I had no one but my husband, all of my family lives over 3000 miles away. Our baby was super colicky and cried constantly and never slept more than 2 hours in a row for the first 8 weeks. My husband only had one week off. I was so miserable, sleep deprived, and lonely. This time around I'm having him stay home with me for at least 3 weeks. It also usually takes longer for your partner to bond with the baby so I think it's important to have that time with the baby. 

If you have friends and family nearby definitely get them to help as often as possible and I love what someone said about Target, it's so true!

The baby blues are real in those first few weeks post partum, the more sleep deprived you are and alone, the worse they get. Definitely have people around to support you if you can!
  • Options
    All great advice, keep it coming guys! Thank you.

@pumpkinpancake I can definitely see this happening with my husband. For now, we're thinking 4 weeks will be enough, but he might not make it that long! I guess we'll just need to play it by ear.
  • Options
    My Dh got 6 weeks off. Last time he took of 3, went back to work, and took the other 3 when I went back to work. That allowed us to delay daycare costs for a bit longer plus give him and dd time to bond. In the first few weeks, it was really that I needed physical help so in the beginning his role was to care for me and DD. I couldn’t have done it without him. I think the second part of his leave was critical in learning how to care for a baby by himself - I had already done so for 11 weeks prior and it helped us both feel equally capable.
  • Options
    My husband got one week off last time (although he gets 3 this time!). Honestly, the first week we were in shock, so when I really needed him home was at about 6 weeks when colic peaked and I had a newborn screaming at me 10 hours a day.  Even though he gets three weeks this time, we might stagger it a little (i.e. 3 day weeks for a while,etc) just in case we get another colicky one.  I would also recommend spouses inquire about potential to work from home, etc during that time- some places are surprisingly flexible if you ask!
  • Options
    H works for an incredibly wonderful company and could probably take as much time as he wanted, but honestly it’s better for his mental health to go back to work. With DD1 he planned to take 2 weeks and went back after 4-5 days because there’s just not that much to do with a newborn baby. With DD2 he actually did take almost 2 weeks but caved and went back a few days early because DD1 was running him ragged. She plays independently when I’m home but when he’s around she expects him to play with her non-stop, since thats how he is with her in mornings and evenings on work days, so his “paternity leave” was basically 0% baby snuggles and 100% playing tag with a toddler. I mean he loves being with her, but it wasn’t exactly lovely restful bonding with the new baby. Also he goes stir crazy being around the house full time.

I haven’t asked him how much time he wants to take when Isaac comes. Now that we have a nanny, and since I’m not due in the middle of winter for once, it might actually be fun for him to take a couple weeks. He may actually get some lovely restful baby snuggles this time around. I can’t imagine he’d want to take much more than 2 weeks though, especially since we’ll be so close to Christmas. His office typically closes between Christmas and New Years so he’ll get some more bonding time then.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    H and Inare both teachers and DS was born Nov 7th so he took 3 weeks off and went back after Thanksgiving. He probably will not do that again. After the first week I didn’t really “need” him to help as much. This time it’s more important he saves his leave because I will have none left after maternity leave. I am hoping he will take a week or so depending on when baby comes.

I suggest keeping protein filled snacks and dairy free snacks. You will be super hungry and if you are nursing baby may struggle with dairy at first.

I totally agree with everything @tlmill and @Lisa3379 said!
  • Options
    DH took 2 weeks off unpaid when DD was born. It was helpful to have an extra set of hands especially since I had zero experience with babies. This time I doubt he’ll take any time due to him going back to work only a month before after his own FMLA leave.
  • Options
    Ds was born 10 days before Christmas so DH may have taken those 2 weeks, then he started traveling again when DS was 3 weeks old. That was fun... 
    I made some frozen crock pot meals before hand so they came in great when we needed to make dinner those first few weeks.. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    DH didn’t get any time off, but due to my complications they were very understanding and let him “work from home” for a couple of weeks. I agree with your judgement that 4 weeks would be a good amount of time. Like someone else suggested, see if he can take the other 4 weeks later on.

Snacks were basically anything that was easy to grab since making food (even if it was just a quick snack) seemed like a huge chore. ETA; this included bananas or other fruit, those sandwich cracker packs, goldfish, lactation cookies my coworkers made for me, yogurt, almonds, trail mix.

I didn’t have an adversions, but DD has issues with acidic/tomato based foods. So when friends brought ziti with red sauce or we did chicken with pasta sauce in the crock pot it wasn’t good for her. It made my milk too acidic for her to digest easily. Something to keep in mind for those making freezer meals.
  • Options
    With DS, H took two weeks because I'd had a c-section and he was sticking to the no driving for me for two weeks thing. He took less time with DD since his office changed their vacation policy and actually started tracking time off, so he couldn't just take the time like he did previously. We got into a much better routine faster with DD though since she was an easier baby and not our first, so I'd go to bed after I fed her and DS was in bed (around 8), and then H stayed up (like he usually does), but he kept her happy/asleep/whatever until she needed to be fed again (usually around 10:30-11:30). It helped me get that first little stretch of sleep, and he got some hands on time without me around.

Anything individually packaged, shelf stable, and able to eat one-handed (like granola bars) was a useful snack to have in the nursery for when I was late night nursing and got a randomly hungry. I didn't have to worry about mess or needing help or a toddler getting into it. I also kept a massive water bottle with a straw and lid on my nightstand and DH filled it with ice water every night when he went to bed so I had that to drink while nursing. It made keeping hydrated easy, and gave him a way to help since I wasn't pumping right away.

Hopefully we'll do something similar to what we did with DD this time around; I think it worked pretty well for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH took 2 days off with DS1. DS1 was born on Thursday so he took Thursday and Friday off then went back to work on Monday. He was working from home when I had DS2 so he only took off while we were in the hospital. He job started calling him the day after DS2 was born. I doubt DH will be able to take more than 2 days off when LO is born in Oct. 

FTM, remember it's okay to ask for help and don't try and be Supermom. It was so hard for me to ask for help with DS1. I had the worse anxiety because I thought everyone would judge me if I weren't doing everything for the baby. This time DS1 will be in school and then going to aftercare. DS2 will be home with me 2 days a week and at daycare 3 days a week. I'm going to have my MIL on stand by just in case I need her to watch DS2 one of the days he's home.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @Mylitta I like that idea of a couple weeks off and then partial weeks to help with the adjustment! I threw the idea to DH so we will see if he is allowed to do that or if he wants to. I want him around yet I feel like I will want to kick him out! LOL
  • Options
    DH is a teacher and DD was born at the end of July so he had about five weeks off after she was born. It was really helpful because I had an emergency c-section and she was a tough baby. We lived upstairs from my parents at the time also so they were super helpful. 

This time DH will likely only be able to take off a week. My parents live a few blocks away so they can still help out a lot but it’ll be interesting to be in my own with a baby and a four year old so soon. 

I agree with taking a shower every day just to feel normal. I was on the couch nursing the first few weeks and showering and changing clothes helped me feel less like a bum. Also, you have the right to turn down visitors if you’re not up to it! Nothing is worse than being sleep deprived and feeling like you need to entertain visitors when you barely have time to shower. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    ashin121ashin121 member
    edited July 2018
    I'm a firm believer in making sure your husband has a week with the baby alone. My mom and friends/sisters all advised this. So my husband had 2 weeks off which he split into taking the first week off when the baby was born and 1 week off when I went back to work so it was just him and the baby. Alot of first time dads don't understand how hard it is to be at home with the baby yourself. The day goes by so fast and you don't have time to do much especially if you're breastfeeding. Eventually You feel like you're in a twilight zone where you wake up in the morning and the day repeats all over again . You forget what day or date it is etc. Alot of dads thinks it's so easy to stay at home and that you should have time to clean the house and make dinner etc. It's so much harder than that. I've had so many guy friends who say that to their wives until the stay at home with the baby for a week themselves . It's only then that they will say to their wives... "Wow that's so much harder.. the day goes by so fast! I swear I did alot for the baby" but the house is a mess, dinner isn't done etc. Alot of guys including my husband told me how much they appreciated us after that. They tend to be more hands on even after work because they understand .Guy friends who don't do this still think that the wives have it easy at home with the kid/baby while they are at work so they don't contribute to much when they get home. 

I second the daily showers and the wandering around target for an hour alone lol. it does make you feel more human. Lol. I used to do this too when my husband got home. Hahah
  • Options
    ashin121 said:
    I'm a firm believer in making sure your husband has a week with the baby alone. My mom and friends/sisters all advised this. So my husband had 2 weeks off which he split into taking the first week off when the baby was born and 1 week off when I went back to work so it was just him and the baby. Alot of first time dads don't understand how hard it is to be at home with the baby yourself. The day goes by so fast and you don't have time to do much especially if you're breastfeeding. Eventually You feel like you're in a twilight zone where you wake up in the morning and the day repeats all over again . You forget what day or date it is etc. Alot of dads thinks it's so easy to stay at home and that you should have time to clean the house and make dinner etc. It's so much harder than that. I've had so many guy friends who say that to their wives until the stay at home with the baby for a week themselves . It's only then that they will say to their wives... "Wow that's so much harder.. the day goes by so fast! I swear I did alot for the baby" but the house is a mess, dinner isn't done etc. Alot of guys including my husband told me how much they appreciated us after that. They tend to be more hands on even after work because they understand .Guy friends who don't do this still think that the wives have it easy at home with the kid/baby while they are at work so they don't contribute to much when they get home. 

I second the daily showers and the wandering around target for an hour alone lol. it does make you feel more human. Lol. I used to do this too when my husband got home. Hahah
    Yes to all of this. Your Dh having a chunk of time home by themselves (not just s single day here and there) is important.
  • Options
    chyviechyvie member
    I think that sounds like a great idea - off to plan a week away during Mat leave so I can leave DH home with baby!
    He would freak out! I could see it being a good time for bonding, but here we get such long Mat leaves I'm not sure he would let me just leave for a week....something to talk about maybe!
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    DH was a SAHD after my maternity leave and it completely changed his perspective. Now he works and I SAH, but he never really expects anything anymore lol. Pasta with sauce for dinner? Totally acceptable. Everything's a disaster? Especially with a newborn he doesn't expect much (now I will say our house is rarely a disaster anymore... probably because I try and get out as much as possible). But all this to say: yes. Make sure your SO has one on one time with the baby for an extended period of time. Even without having to deal with nights, it made a huge impact on DH. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018