January 2019 Moms
Options

Workout and pregnancy fitness

libertymomrnlibertymomrn member
edited June 2018 in January 2019 Moms
I’ve lost the previous thread about pregnancy workouts (because admittedly I totally fell off the wagon) and decided to start a new one.

I know I need to get back active; I feel so much better when I do, and I don’t want to feel as awful as I did last pregnancy when I was not as active. It’s just that I’ve been so tired an nauseous, it feels impossible to actually get out and do anything above and beyond what I already have to do. 

How are you all all coping with symptoms and still getting workouts in?

Re: Workout and pregnancy fitness

• Options
    I need to start working out more :( I used to work out about 4 times a week, now I haven't worked out in 3 weeks and I hate it. Our treadmill broke a while ago and it's been humid here, so i haven't been motivated. We're looking for a new treadmill, though, so that should help.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    Between work trips and a week on the Cape for July 4th, I had my last 1st trimester workout yesterday. When I return my trainer and I have discussed how we will be modifying my workouts: No floor exercises on my back, less intense power and finisher sections to avoid having my heart rate spike for extended periods. She is going to be more strict about making sure I take rests between sets (she said she is going to be timing me to make sure I rest long enough - I'm usually really bad at remembering to rest.) Also I requested strength exercises to focus on strengthening my lower back as I figure those muscles will need all the help they can get shortly! I usually work out after work - 7 or 7:30pm. It has been a struggle to keep my energy up late late in the day. I have found that if I eat a high protein lunch and then have a high energy snack around 5:30 or 6 I am able to make it thru. If I forget to eat (or just can't force down what I planned on eating) I am totally drained by the time I get to the gym. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    luckymay2xluckymay2x member
    edited June 2018
    I'm at a conference in FL until Wednesday and I've managed an open water (ocean) swim each day. The waves kind of trigger my morning sickness but in general it feels really good in the water.

It is so humid here I'm not really enjoying being outside otherwise, so I'm glad swimming is an option!

In other news, I barely fit into any of my work out suits and feel really round and sort of "chubby". It is what it is :neutral:
  • Options
    Haven’t been to the gym in several weeks, just moved into a new place too so we are getting settled in. I take the stairs at work, so I easily get in a small workout there. I also began back at home yoga, it’s hard my body can’t do what it used to, but that’s ok. 
    DH: 32 Me: 32
    TTC#1 March 2018, BFP May 2018. EDD: 1/15/19
  • Options
    I'm slowly getting back into it. We've been walking as a family and I'm doing some body weight stuff. I just can't motivate myself to go to the gym. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I’ve still been working out 6 days a week. What’s keeping me motivated to do that is I fell off the wagon during first tri of my first pregnancy and never got back on. 

That being said, I’ve got to a lot of motivational self-talk in my head to get through workouts  :D. I’m nauseous and tired and constantly think, “Ughh, is this almost over?” I have to tell my self things like, *you’re strong* *this will help with labor* *you got up early for a reason*

I do feel like I have more energy than I did when I was pregnant with DS, but whether that’s due to this being a different pregnancy or exercise, I don’t know. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options

The only thing I can really do right now is walk. I try to get in 2 miles every day that I feel up to it. I’m used to working out hard 5 days a week, but I’m just trying to listen to my body.  I’m still in the hungry and exhausted all the time phase of pregnancy! It’s been a little depressing not being able to lift weights or do cardio workouts, but I know the 2nd trimester will bring all the energy I need. 

I was very inactive when I got pregnant the first time and still willed myself to ride an exercise bike and do pilates regularly throughout the 2nd trimester, so I have hope! 

• Options
    Ugh, my only saving grace in the first trimester is that I've been on two hiking/walking heavy vacations in the past month. Otherwise I've been terrible at going to the gym/riding my bike home like I usually do. I'm just so exhausted that I can't get home quick enough after work so I can pass out on the couch.  However, my lower back has already started hurting lately which is freaking me out so I'm definitely going to make strength exercises, yoga, and pilates a priority going forward!
  • Options
    I’ve been doing boot camp 1 hr/wk. trying to work back up to my pre-incredibly fatigued 2 hr/wk but not there yet. Lots of walking on the off days which my dog loves. I find the exercising REALLY helps with nausea, but am nervous about finding ways to modify once I hit the second trimester. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm still doing yoga and pilates with modifications. I'm walking, too. 
  • Options
    Spin on wednesdays and a 4 mule run each week has been about it. I do take the steps to work each day but I need to work on getting 3-4 days of exercise per week
  • Options
    I took advantage of getting to the airport early on Friday after my meetings ended early and walked the entire length of the terminal 2.5 times (about an hour of walking total). I also took the stairs at the hotel (I was on the 3rd floor) for all 3 days I was there.

This week? Ugh. I know I need to do more. Fatigue has been really hard on me. 
  • Options
    Ive been sticking with 6 days a week, but scaling back on weight and intensity.  I've had a lot of nausea, and ive found the only things that help are working out and eating, so that obviously makes it easier to drag myself to the gym. 
  • Options
    I am doing yoga and beachbody, which has helped a lot with my leg pain and nausea.  I didn't exercise much during my first pregnancy and I don't want to repeat that.  I typically do a 30 min workout in the morning before work while DS watches cartoons or plays. It's a bit hectic, but I am glad to get it out of the way first thing. 
  • Options
    Has anyone been told by a Dr. That insanity or HIIT workouts are a no no for pregnancy ?
  • Options
    @brianawilde I have not been told that, and have been up front with doctor and now midwives that I am doing bootcamp, which is pretty high intensity. They have all said the most important things are (1) keep track of heart rate (want it to be around/under 140, which means you can talk but not sing while working out - during bootcamp it scoots up but I monitor and try to scale it back); (2) keep track of temp and be careful of strenuously working out if it's too hot/humid; (3) no laying on back (ab) exercises that last 3+ minutes or require a lot of twisting/ab motion now that I'm in 2nd tri (have modified most of these to be done in a plank position, which was easier than I thought); and (4) don't do anything that hurts. In general, I think the advice is if it's something you did pre-pregnancy, you can continue with modification; if it's a totally new exercise, you may need additional advice from your doc.
    Me: 36 | DH: 41 | Married: 9/29/07 | DD: December 2018 | BFP: 2/1/21, EDD: 10/6/21

• Options
    I’m trying to walk every day, but if I don’t do it super early in the morning it doesn’t happen because it’s so hot and humid. Some days I do squats and some core strengthening exercises. 

Summers are weird because my schedule is so flexible it makes it much easier to procrastinate with everything. Once school starts again and I’m once again living by my planner I think I’ll be more successful fitting in daily workouts because there will be no wiggle room. It’s harder to talk myself out of a workout when I know this specific time slot is my only option. I’m also going to need the endorphin boost when I’m not able to nap whenever I want lol.
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    With DD1, I started working out in the second tri and stayed consistent until delivery. I credit my quick recovery and ability to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothing before returning to work to those workouts. Once I hit the second tri this time, I knew I no longer had any excuses. I've been walking and going to Barre3 classes 2x per week. I'm signing up for prenatal yoga to help stretch between my barre classes. I'll continue walking but I've always enjoyed an hour of walking with music or with the family. It's my mental break time and it helps me relax. My goal is to be active 4x per week. Manageable and doable at least while it's still light out after work!
  • Options
    I’ve been terrible about exercising and I hate that. DD had diarrhea for almost a month and it wore me out. She’s finally better but now we’ve started swim lessons every evening for the next month, which is fun but also exhausting. I need to start doing yoga again. It felt really good when I was pregnant with DD. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    I’m trying to workout 4x/week- before pregnancy I was only doing about 3x/week- I’m doing a combo of walking on treadmill at the gym, cardio classes at gym, and at home workouts on You Tube- Pop Sugar Fitness is my favorite and the instructor is pregnant now and even as a great pregnancy workout!
  • Options
    Has anyone been told by a Dr. That insanity or HIIT workouts are a no no for pregnancy ?
    Quite the opposite. I was told if I was already doing it, it was safe to continue, but that I might start finding it uncomfortable when the bump became cumbersome. The place I do it with has a policy of it not being a class for pregnant women though, so I was just upfront with them. I got permission to continue through the summer session— so that’ll end when I’m 17 or 18 weeks I think? At that time I’m going to switch to their pregnancy-specific one, I think.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Options
    YEAH!!!!!! We finally got our new treadmill and put it together. I missed our old one and coudln't do much in the meantime. We have a mini gym in our basement, so that's been helpful. Now I'm studying for my upcoming state exams and I read through my flashcards while speed walking. Every little bit counts.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    I’m having much more success sticking with workouts in the second tri. I struggled to get in a few workouts per week in first tri due to nausea and mainly relied on long walks. Now I’m back at orange theory a few times a week. Does anyone else do OTF?  I find my heart rate goes up much more quickly and I’m nervous to spend too much time in the Orange. My ob also does orange theory and did through her pregnancies but I haven’t spoken with her specifically about how she managed her heart rate. I think I’m being overly cautious. I try to keep it around 140 as suggested but it sometimes gets up to 160. It always has even pre pregnancy so the intensity isn’t new I’m just wondering if anyone else is doing OTF and if so how you’ve changed your heart rate monitoring if at all. 
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    I have been majorly slacking- just tired all the time. I dis go on a nice hilly 3 mile walk with the dog sunday but skipped spin the last 3 weeks and running has been few and far between. I need to get my life together!
  • Options
    I have been working out again for 2 weeks now (since 13 weeks when MS subsided). I’m a runner so I’ve been doing 2-4 miles 3 days a week. I need to starting working in some body weight strength exercises as well, but I figured one step at a time haha. I had to push my other two kids in the double stroller for my run yesterday and it was BRUTAL. I used to run with them all the time, 5+ miles easily. Yesterday my daughter kept asking me why I wasn’t running fast anymore. I said momma needs a walk break haha it was a slow and steady 2 miles! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I fell off the wagon when I was very low carb because I didn’t have the energy, so now I’m trying to get back into being active again. I’ve started walking a lot again, now I just need to add something more in.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I’ve also been slacking this time around. It’s been challenging chasing DD around and then by the time DH comes home so I could do something like run  I’m just tired. We also gave up our gym membership and DH works out at work so that doesn’t help. I’ve at least been trying to get out for walks and get lots of steps in. I stayed active my first pregnancy and that really helped speed up my recovery.
  • Options
    @hlb8179 I don't do OTF (though have done a couple classes here/there with friends), but I am also noticing my heart rate is increasing so much more quickly than it used to, and also that I'm out of breath WAY quicker. On dog walks, we go up a hill, and I am out of breath half way into the hill. Now, I recover quickly once we get to the top but dang it makes me feel even more out of shape than I actually am (even though I'm assuming it's just all the extra blood and other pregnant stuff).

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Since DH has been out of town for 3 weeks (he comes home tomorrow night, HOORAY), I haven’t been getting as much exercise as I’d like to because I don’t have anyone to stay with DS. But, I have made it to Pure Barre a few times and done a few YouTube workout videos. 

I’ve pretty much decided to give up on running. I get an awful side stitch every time, and it just doesn’t feel great in general. I’ve slowed down to the point where I’m basically just speed walking, so that’s what I’ll try to keep doing for cardio. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    Having a higher HR is completely normal during pergnancy. You have a lot more blood volume circulating through your body, so to do the same level of activity as before, your heart has to pump harder. When pregnant it is a good idea to watch how high your HR is getting and take more walk breaks/recovery periods and lower your overall intensity to let it slow down a little. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker