December 2018 Moms

Maternity Clothes

Please feel free to guide me to a thread if it’s already been started but I am in desperate need of finding affordable maternity clothes. I’m 4’11 and finding pants etc has always been a struggle. But now that I’m adding a bump to a mix I feel completely lost. Also thinking about daycare and all the baby things I need to start buying the last thing I want to do is buy pricey things for myself. What are you guys doing for this???? 

Re: Maternity Clothes

• katy0990katy0990 member
    edited July 2018
    Your best bet, is to shop consignment, garage sales, and mommy resale groups. It is not too difficult to find items that are gently used, since they are only worn a short time. Old Navy is another great option. There is also a thread that list deals and sales. Some maternity wear has been mentioned there. 
  • edited July 2018
    Yes - look for the steals & deals thread @katy0990 mentioned. It exists to share sales, since we all want to save dollars here. 

I’m 5’3” and I’ve been living in shorts - be advised that I am also (currently - not usually) a homemaker in Alabama - it’s hot as balls and nobody wears pants unless they must. 

I thrift most of my maternity wear. In person I look for actual maternity wear, plus dresses that I can wear as tunics. Online, I buy second hand Lularoe from ThredUP because I know I can wear them for the rest of the year + PP. The only maternity I have bought brand new are panties (my ass expanded around weeks 6-8, that was a surprise), and first layer tank tops from Old Navy. 

I *could* spend more, but I hate spending on temporary clothes - for me or the baby! I’m a long-term investment gal all of the way and expensive maternity wear just doesn’t figure into my budget. 

Also! Why are you so worried about buying baby things? That’s why most women have registries and baby showers - just so others can help...
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a maternity thread, it’s been dead for about a month now. I think it’s on page 3 or 4, if you want to read what others have shared. I thought about reviving it the other day because I needed to get knee length skirts and shorts for my new job. Anything that hits more than 2” above my knee requires leggings/tights underneath and it’s too hot for that. 

I ended up going to a nearby goodwill yesterday. Not my fav place to support, but all of the individual thrift & consignment shops around here aren’t much cheaper than buying new. And I didn’t want to drive a town over to go to value village or something else. Yesterday, I got maternity pants and shorts, and a regular skirt (that’s stretchy and will work as I grow) for $22. Good luck out there! 
  • Thank you for these suggestions!!! I will also check out the other threads on this as well. I had a feeling one had already been started... 

@echo-charlietango thanks for the Thredup rec - I’ve been meaning to check them out and do 99.9 percent of my shopping online. I hate shopping otherwise haha. And yes I probably need to chill with the whole “omg what is this all going to cost me” thing. I’m a financial advisor so it’s kind of part of my DNA at this point. I still haven’t put together a registry yet but need to. I know people - especially family - will be eager to shower this first born with gifts. Thank you!!!  
  • @lagoose23 You can also check places like Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, local listservs, etc.  This week someone posted they were getting rid of their entire maternity wardrobe for $200.  It was wayyyy more than I needed or wanted (she had 14 dresses alone...), but I went and picked out 6 dresses, 4 leggings, a pair of jeans, and three tops for $60.  I have had a harder time finding maternity at thrift stores because many do not have a designated maternity section (at least that I have found) so you have to do a lot of digging to find things.

I'm thinking a lot about money too.  I think that's totally normal.  Everyone talks about how much babies/kids cost, so it's normal to be nervous about it.  I actually have an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of all baby related expenses.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lagoose23 I dislike shopping IRL most of the time also! ThredUP has been a lifesaver for me, especially buying LLR. I want the clothes without clearly supporting that MLM, so second hand is best for my wallet, ideals, and expanding body. Good luck assembling your registry! I’m not having a shower (because we don’t live near family), so I shared registry info with some family with the pregnancy announcement - this kid already has several outfits, nice sheets, pacifiers, bath items - it was very surprising to see what family wanted to buy so soon! Hopefully yours will be as supportive so you can relax about the little things. Make sure to lurk the daycare/working mom thread - it’s full of info and a place for those questions :smiley:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @lagoose23 If you haven't found the other maternity clothes thread yet, you can do a search for it too. That may pull it up quicker and easier than just searching for it. :) I'm 5'2" and I have such a hard time finding maternity bottoms (pants, shorts, etc) that fit. I had work pants last pregnancy that I suffered through, but they DID NOT fit right and were always falling down, I am hoping I can find at least a pair or two this time that will work. Also, check swap.com. I got some of my maternity clothes off there last pregnancy.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • @AdorkablePixie I am 5’0 and I have such a hard time with pants! I did a halfa**ed hem job on most of mine last time. I’m hoping i don’t have to hem them again this time.
  • @katy0990 I've had to hem almost every pair of pants I own!! It sucks. You'd think I'd be an expert by now. lol

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • tunneltunnel member
    Old Navy has some 25" and 27" "ankle" length pants that might work for you!  Just wait for a good sale!
    BabyFruit Ticker