March 2019 Moms

FT Working Single Moms-to-be

I work FT and support myself.  The father is my boyfriend and we are not currently living together.  He will help as much as possible, but there's no way I can quit working after having a baby.  I don't have any close friends who live near me, and I have some family an hour away, but nobody who will be able to come help me a lot once I give birth. 
Money is a concern, of course, but I'm more concerned with maximizing my time off from work (hopefully 6 months) with the new baby while still getting paid and being able to pay my mortgage.
I think it may be too early to be thinking about these things, but I thought I'd create this discussion for other single moms-to-be so we can talk about the challenges we are going to have to face later and how we're going to deal with them.
Maybe ladies who have been in this situation in the past can post some advice, too.
Thanks!

Re: FT Working Single Moms-to-be

• @redhead43 I'm not a single mom, but I just wanted to say that I think it's great that you're planning so far in advance. 9 months goes by quickly. I did a lot of planning with my first as well and it was mostly focused on figuring out my maternity leave. I'm a teacher and I had to fight for the time I did end up getting. In the end, I was able to get 5 months off (part of it was summer) and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Thanks for your reply, the first for my discussion. I read somewhere online a while back about a trick to getting off more than 3 months but I guess I'll have to find that article again. Teachers are lucky for having the 3 months off in summer, that's for sure!
  • Loading the player...
  • @redhead43 your title is pretty specific. You might get more replies if it were a little broader, like saving for maternity leave. I’m a working mom and although I’m not single, we’ll have some time before short term disability kicks in (and even then i think it only pays 60%) so I would like to start saving for the hit to my paycheck we will take.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::