Infertility

Birth control pills before IVF- can I skip?

About to undergo our first IVF. RE says I need to take birth control pills for a week at the end of this cycle  (fine), but then also we can’t try naturally this month bc of that. Our only (known) issue is DH’s borderline sperm count, and after really low IUI counts last month, I wanted to try us having sex only every OTHER day during fertile window to see if that helps him build up a bit more. (We normally do every day.) Do you ladies think I could do this, and if negative pregnancy test by 10dpo, THEN agree to start the birth control for a week?

Re: Birth control pills before IVF- can I skip?

• My clinic has us start BCP on CD3 or 4 and stay on them for 2-3 weeks, so I am not completely sure of the protocol you are describing, but when I asked him about it, he said there is market benefit to mature eggs retrieved by being in BCP prior to an egg retrieval cycle.  I guess you could push back IVF if you wanted to try naturally for a bit first, but I'm sure your RE is suggesting the protocol they are most successful with, so as long as you trust your doctor I would stick to their timeline for meds.
  • mzl1mzl1 member
    thanks, it’s just we only tried for 4 months naturally before starting IUI, and his semen analysis after 5 day hold was 23mil, so I thought If RE only wants me on birth control for 7 days anyhow, then what is the harm in trying naturally 1 more time and then starting the pills 10DPO if BFN?
  • Loading the player...
  • more14more14 member
    I would consult your RE first. There is a reason why they say to start the BC at the beginning of your cycle and it has to do with hormone levels, not just to make sure you don't get pregnant before. It's done to control the timing of your ovulation but also the timing of your IVF medications -  to mature your follicles and to see the progress of the lining of your uterus. 
    I strongly advice you not to do anything that is against what your doctor has said and if you do then to immediately tell your RE so that s/he could adjust your cycle.
    The last thing you want is to mess with your cycle. 
  • mzl1mzl1 member
    Thank you- I see what you’re saying but he said he only wants me on the birth control for 7 days, not this whole month. so since he plans for me to have a natural cycle with ovulation this month, I don’t see what the harm is in trying to get pregnant and then waiting until a negative test before the 7 days of birth control
  • kjk024kjk024 member
    I would ask, just to be on the safe side! 

I applaude you for maintaining hope. I envy that. My husband had a count of less than 10, and so there never was any after we learned of it. 

Worst case acenario, if the doctor says it has to be the beginning of a cycle, you could always try naturally one more cycle and start bcp next month. 

Good luck!
    My Age: 25
    Husband's Age: 27
    Diagnosis: Unexplained azoospermia, production issue.
    IVF July 2018: pending and staying hopeful :)
  • It sounds like you’re not quite ready to move to IVF since you only you tried for 4 months naturally?  Can I ask why you’ve already moved to IVF is that’s the case?
    Pregnancy TickerAbout me: *TW*

Me: 34, DH: 38                                                                                                                                                                                
    TTC #1 June of 2014  9/14 BFP, baby boy EDD 5/18/15. Elias (Eli) born 5/13/15 7lb0oz, 19 inches.                                      
    Surprise BFP 10/15, live ectopic, lost ruptured tube on 11/5/15 at 8 weeks                                                                              
    Started TTC #2 2/16                                                                                                                                                                   
    HSG 1/18 after no BFPs- diagnosed w/ tubal infertility and referred to RE                                                                     
    3/28/18 remaining tube removed                                                                                                                                              
    IVF 5/18: 15 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 8 blasts -- (3) 4aa, (2) 5aa (2) 4ba frozen -- fresh transfer of 1 day-5 4aa blast, BFP, EDD 2/4/19