Baby Names

Is Gwen a nickname?

We have a predicament..hubby and I agree on the name Gwen (mn will be Mary) but I feel like it's a nickname and she should have a full name like Gweneth or Gwendolyn but DH doesn't like those names.  Help?

Also open to other options!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

Re: Is Gwen a nickname?

• Yeah @meggyme I don't disagree!  I just wish dh would get on board with Gweneth but I'd settle for Gwen if I have to.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Loading the player...
  • It’s not one that is too nicknamey like you I prefer a Longer given but I don’t think people would constantly assume it was a nick name

• Gwen could be a first name or a nickname, I personally dont like the longer options for it and would go with just Gwen if that's what you both like
  • I personally like using a longer name that you can use the short version as a nickname, BUT I think Gwen could stand alone as a name without having to be a nickname for a longer form if you or YH are not sold on any of the longer options.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • My DH is in the same boat - name them what you want to call them.  He has a short name and likes it; says they'll have to write out that full long name the rest of their lives, and you never know what other nicknames you'll get, etc.  So, we'll probably be in that same camp :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    IVF baby girl born 7/2018  <3
    TTC 2013. FET 11/17 - BFP after attempt #6!

• I think Gwen is perfectly fine as a stand-alone name
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • bawagsbawags member
    I think it can stand alone. Most people are going to assume it is a nick name, but if you love it I don't think it really matters.
  • It does seem like a nn for Gwendolyn or Gwyneth. 
  • I think Gwen is fine as a stand-alone name, and I do prefer it over the longer options.
  • I think Gwen can be a stand alone name.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Gwen can be a stand alone name.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    It can stand alone.  Names like Ellie feel too nicknamey to stand alone to me but Gwen sounds more mature.