December 2018 Moms
Options

STM Check-In | 7/4

2»

Re: STM Check-In | 7/4

• Options

@Activebaby I am so sorry for your loss.

@asun123 I had a similar experience with DS and the pool last week. I was so upset I almost threw up. He was only under water for like a second but it seemed like a lifetime.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    @asun123 my 4 year old insists he can swim by himself, without his floatie. The shallow end at our pool is still too deep for him to stand, so he can only really swim about 4' before he just starts to sink, because he doesn't know how to come up for air yet. 

After listening to him scream for half an hour that he could do it, I finally said, "fine. then just do it." And watched as he let himself into the pool, swam about 4', and then started to sink. At that point, I jumped in and pulled him up. You know what my kid said to me, when I saved his freaking life? "See mom! I did it!" :tired_face:
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m so scared about pools and water. What age did you all start swimming lessons? Did anyone do ISR? I’ve thought about that but I’m not sure it’s for us.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat oh my gosh - that sounds like my 6 year olds! Within the past two years we are at a point they don’t sink which has really helped. They can swim enough to get themselves to the side of the pool if needed. 

@rosebud332 we have taken ours for swim lessons as early as 6 months, but are never consistent with it and the place we go isn’t super awesome. But, it gets them used to the water. I’d love to sign this next one up at a better place because I’ve seen little bitty ones actually swimming and with 4 kids, knowing that would be take a little bit of anxiety out of taking them swimming. 
  • Options
    @runrinserepeat I’m sorry, but I laughed at your son’s comment. Kids will drive you crazy for sure!

@rosebud332  I started mommy and me swim lessons with DS at 6 months. We have done them twice per year since. I started having him stick his head underwater at about 8 months. One of the instructors told me that it would be key to have him get his head wet and then clap and act like it was super exciting, so that he did not develop a fear of sticking his face in. I know in my area, the lessons at the rec center are like 1/4 the cost of the swim schools.
  • Options
    @snugglyduckling25 yeah my 6 yo can touch I. The shallow end and can basically survive in the water and swim okay. I don’t worry much about her anymore. But that little one, I swear some days he’s got a death wish. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @rosebud332 our kids (4 and 6 this year) took one class last summer and have been taking lessons (and basically at the pool every day it hasn’t been raining) this summer. I’d say a few weeks ago they both were not crazy about the idea of putting their heads under water. Now, they jump in face first. It’s ridiculous. They learn fast, even if you don’t start them as babies. That said, it’s been so fun being at the pool so much this summer, we’ll probably start this little one right away next year. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @rosebud332 We just finished our first swim lessons with my son. It was okay, but sort of blah -- just the lessons through the city. Every lesson we practiced blowing bubbles, kicking, floating/putting him on his back (which he HATED) and splashing water in his face to get him used to that sensation. A half hour actually felt a little long to be in the water with him. I don't know that he really got anything out of the lessons, but I'm sure the exposure to water doesn't hurt.

My friend's son does ISR! He'll be 3 in October and he's a champ in the water. The lessons are only 10 minutes and are one-on-one. I really wanted to do ISR with A, but the only lessons around here are in the next town over, they're $$$, and we don't even have a pool or regular access to one. But if you have a pool or anything like that I would totally recommend it. As a side note, they do lessons for babes as young as 6 months, I believe, but he started at around 18 months. He would call the little baby in the water who had the lesson before him the "crying baba" :joy:
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    @asun123 ah, how scary! I am sorry that happened. While we were camping & boating with some family this week DS (18 months) wanted in the water and was immediately laugh-crying because he was scared & cold, but loves water. Anyway, they were backing up the boat at one point & DH couldn't swim back and DS was crying so hard he wanted back out of the water it was stressful. Even though he had a lifejacket on, it's still scary :(
    Married: 6/6/14
    DS: 12/20/16
    EDD: 11/29/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I’m so scared about pools and water. What age did you all start swimming lessons? Did anyone do ISR? I’ve thought about that but I’m not sure it’s for us.
    We did group lessons for ds1 when he was ~10 months (for 8 weeks), then we didn’t do it again until we had ds2. We started semi-private 1/2 hour lessons (the boys go together) when ds1 was almost 3 and ds2 was almost 1. We’ve been doing this and going every Saturday for a little over a year (of course we miss some Saturdays, but we are pretty consistent). For a while they didn’t really want to after ds1 had to work hard and ds2 would scream for the 1/2 hour. Now they LOVE swim lessons and are getting really good. By no means are they “safe” but ds1 can swim short distances, and he had jump in and swim back to the side. He prefers to have a noodle when he swims. Ds2 (2 next week) can swim with the noodle, jumps in, kicks, but could not save himself. I envision us keeping this up until maybe joining a swim team. Hopefully this will be a healthy sport for them as well as safety. Downside is it takes up every Saturday morning and is expensive ($60/week).
  • Options
    @Activebaby I'm hoping my kids decide to join swim team, too. We've got a ways to go before that happens though :D
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @Activebaby I'm hoping my kids decide to join swim team, too. We've got a ways to go before that happens though :D
    Lol us too! Far off hopes for them.
  • Options
    @rosebud332 I looked up ISR a while back an it's intense! Like 10 minutes a day for a month or something? If i was a SAHM and had a licensed person in my neighborhood that I could walk to, I'd do it. I just can't imagine picking DS up from daycare, going and changing into a swimsuit to be in a pool for 10 minutes everyday.  I just don't have it in me.  If I had a pool in my backyard, I might think differently though.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t Yes, it is a lot and it’s expensive. I feel the same in that I think I’d do it if I had a pool or if I end up having one. But right now I think maybe just swim lessons. My mil has a pool which makes me a little nervous.
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    ErinkaErinka member
    How far along are you? How big is baby?
    15+3 & just found out another little girl!

How old is/are you other spawn?
    DD is 2 years & 4 mo

Nails and fails from this week:

Nail: a delicious peach & blueberry tart & last night a great wedding anniversary date night out!

Fail: sleeping with heartburn and general aches and pains due to pregnancy & changing body. Ugh. 

Rant/Rave/Dear Diary:
    My in laws just left and they drive me nuts... why do they have to be so annoying? It’s difficult when I can’t have a glass of wine to give me more patience with them! Now my mom is complaining that our summer trip to see her & my sisters isn’t long enough! Omg!! 

GTKY: What's one thing you swore you would never do before you had children?
    Let her watch the iPad for long-ish periods of time. 
  • Options
    @rosebud332 We did mommy and me swim lessons with DS when he was like 6 months old or so. It was at a local swim school and I wasn't really impressed. It did get him use to the water which was good and tried to teach some useful stuff. My MIL watches DS full time and she has an in ground pool so we just signed him up for ISR. His first swim lesson was yesterday. It is SUPER expensive, but I think it will be worth it. Like everyone else said, it's one-on-one sessions for ten minutes a day, for six weeks. He will be a beast in the water afterwards though and I know he will be less likely to drown in the pool so it's worth it to me. He will only be going about four days a week though, because my MIL can't do five and the instructor said that's fine.

• Options
    @AdorkablePixie I definitely think it’s worth it for the situation you’re in. Let me know how it goes! 
  • Options
    @rosebud332 Will do! So far the instructor is very happy with his progress. He's catching on quickly.