High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Preeclampsia Preecaution

During my first pregnancy I went on bed rest at 26 weeks for elevated pressures. During weekly appointments my doctor noticed the swelling getting worse and worse and symptoms getting worse. At 31 weeks I had an emergency c-section where my pressures had reached 210/112. I was completely blind at that point and for several days after I continued to be extremely sick and on the mag for 3 days. 

My doctor says he sees no reason I could not have another baby. Although I would love another I am scared to death of leaving my son without a mom if it were to get any worse the second time around. 

What preecautions did your doctor take with concieveing and pregnancy after a preeclampsia pregnancy? 

Re: Preeclampsia Preecaution

• Options
    This was the day following delivery. 
  • Options
    **lurking**

I don't have the studies with me, but I've heard from both my RE and MFM that taking a baby aspirin throughout pregnancy until the 36th week can decrease the changes of pre-e. I had HELLP with my first almost five years ago and am *tentatively* pregnant with my second. It's not the most super scientific method, but if you google "baby aspirin and preeclampsia" there will be a lot of articles and studies you can read regarding this. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was induced at just over 37 weeks before developing pre-e, though all signs indicated it would likely fully develope. With this pregnancy, my MFM prescribed 81mg Aspirin once a day. He stated that if taken over the majority of a pregnancy, it can reduce to chances of recurrent pre-e or eclampsia by 40%. Since there is basically zero side effects or risk associated with taking baby aspirin, I'm following his recommendation. He did state I'll need to discontinue use 10 days prior to an induction or scheduled c-section.
  • Options
    Horrible experience I'm sorry. I didn't have issues until 30 weeks and was on strict bedrest for 6 weeks till emergecy csection for pre-e. I was def sick for days as well from the mag and couldn't hold my son and don't really remember much of anything during my hospital stay. For my second they started 24 hour collections at 12 weeks which they started for me same time early on. I got more ultrasounds and bloodwork to make sure all was looking right. On the plus side I didn't have protein show up my second time around until 38 weeks and I delivered the next day. So not all pregnancies will be awful. And this time im on BP meds right after my IVF transfer and still have high bp numbers so they are just carefully watching to make sure all stays okay. From what they told me is even as bad as my first pregnancy was does not predict your second. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    I have never heard of the asprin thing but I will def be asking at my next apt. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP