January 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Bathtime

It's been a while since we had one of these..

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Bath time

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

• Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite [Bath time accessories]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [Bath time accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [Bath time accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [Bath time accessories]?:

For FTMs

• [Bath time accessories] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpirQLqoWOgVefTUVQLuh0wcdlL3kKfjcp2_aaZd6Bk/edit#gid=0  

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Married: May 2012
DS1: May 2016
DS2: Jan 2019
Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

Re: Product Spotlight: Bathtime

• Options
    I have one boy with really bad allergy-related eczema (as in we've tried over a dozen creams and at least 5 prescriptions for it). The best lotion I've found for him is Noodle and Boo unscented Ultimate Ointment. I also use Mustela Stelatopia baby wash and Norwex baby body cloths for his baths, and that works for him!
  • Options

There’s a few items I recommend, so I’m skipping all the questions. 

For the newborn days, I used this cheap sponge and bathed DS in the kitchen sink: Summer Infant Bath Sponge, Aqua https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB8DZNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6FsrBbYYXV990

Once he could sit up, I used this Euro Bath tub: PRIMO EuroBath, Pearl White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000056OV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uHsrBbE1MFW4J

Don’t buy the really small hooded towels; they outgrow them fast. 

For soap, I like Aveeno or Burt’s Bees. 

Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bath time scares the hell out of me.  A slippery soapy newborn  :o please send help
  • Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited July 2018
    For STM+ moms, would you recommend a getting a baby bathtub? Last time we were trying not to buy much stuff so we didn’t get one and just used the regular bathtub, when she was really tiny I would get in with her. We still don’t have a ton of space to store it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I used the blooming baby in the sink for the first 6 months. That scrub thing they give at the hospital or at target with the soft bristles is great. It really helps with cradle cap. We use aquaphor and cetaphil for body wash/shampoo. Johnson and Johnson smells good but it is crap and my kid developed an allergy after 6 months. Also, once they can sit up.. A laundry basket in the tub with toys is great for keeping them/toys all in one place. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I used the angel care tub for both my kids from the start! It’s great and doesn’t get moldy and it’s easy to clean when needed. I can’t vouch that ours has held up great for years. This will be our third baby using it. I never gave my kids sink baths because that would mean I had to empty my sink every night... definitely not going to happen haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I had this thing and it was great. It’s soft and kept him nice and secure. I know they make some cooler fancy ones now but i still have this so I’ll def use it again. I still remember giving him his first bath, one of my fave newborn memories. He didn’t mind it at all. Babies in the tub are the cutest. 

Summer Infant Deluxe Baby Bather, Triangle Stripe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NA9HMK5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RNErBb676H457

Also carter’s hooded towels are great. Good size, soft and they hold up so well to washing. I’ll be reusing the ones I had and I pretty much used them the entire first year.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jgil85jgil85 member
    The only thing I have to add is when you're taking baby out of the bath, keep them warm. DS hated being cold after getting out of the bath. I would lay a warm blanket down and then put his towel inside that so that once he came out, i would wrap him in the towel and then wrap the blanket around him and we'd cuddle for a few minutes. 

Also, hooded baby towels are the worst. I haven't really found a good alternative so I just started using our bath towels as he got bigger. 
  • Options
    We didn't care for the hooded towels either. They work for the first month, but now my almost 2 year old LOVES them! It's her favorite to wear out of the shower/bath. I quickly dry her off with it and then she just walks around the house with it hanging off her head. It's adorable. 

My mom sews and she made my older daughter a couple regular size towels with hoods. Oh, she also made me a regular size towels with a neck strap so I put it on and pull baby out of the bath and have free hands to wrap her up. I didn't know if I would like it but I love it . Maybe check out Etsy for something similar?
  • Options
    We used a two-in-one bath for infants and toddlers (PRIMO EuroBath,), and put it right in the bath. We used it until DD was maybe 2.5 then we put her in the regular tub. It's about $25 on Amazon.
     https://www.amazon.com/Primo-340W-PRIMO-EuroBath-Pearl/dp/B000056OV0/ref=sr_1_20_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531328615&sr=8-20&keywords=baby%2Bbath%2Btub&th=1

We didn't use bodywash on DD (and still don't), just water, and shampoo/conditioner once she had hair. We use bodywash on her sometimes if she's extra dirty from playing outside! Currently we use the Honest brand of shampoo/bodywash and conditioner. 

Don't buy into the 'lavender' scent thing to help put your baby to sleep! 

I agree don't waste money on baby washcloths and baby towels, we did with DD but I don' think they are necessary.

galactickates bathtime also scared me so much the first time! But the first few 'baths' aren't even in the bath, the nurses recommended just washing the baby down with a wash cloth, which was still terrifying but easier than an actual bath. With DD's first baths in the bath tub we bought we laid down a towel to prevent the slipping around, not sure how useful it was but it made it less scary.
  • Options
    I really liked the baby tub since I could put it on the kitchen counter and I didn't have to lean over the big tub. Baby was at an easy working height. 

We had a bath sling that helps hold baby up and in place when in the tub like this one  
    www.amazon.ca/Jolly-Jumper-Bathe-Accessory-Ducky/dp/B00424JC22?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_ypqrhxmbd_e

@pttomato I put a hook on the wall in the nursery closet to hang the tub on when it wasn't being used to keep it out of the way.  

• Options
    My mom sews and she made my older daughter a couple regular size towels with hoods. Oh, she also made me a regular size towels with a neck strap so I put it on and pull baby out of the bath and have free hands to wrap her up. I didn't know if I would like it but I love it . Maybe check out Etsy for something similar?
    My SIL made me a couple of the larger hooded towels. I didn’t use them a lot when she was really little but at almost 2 she loves them.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We have used this tub with our first 3, and we'll use it again this time. It is big, but we have a hook in the closet to hang it when not in use. It converts for every stage- sling, seat, or just regular baby tub. It worked nicely just setting it up on a table the first couple months.

Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Sling 'n Seat Tub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2MQ0EQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aBPrBbHRYDNBW
  • Options
    Summer infant used to make a great newborn bathtime seat that fit in our kitchen sink until DD could sit up on her own- i think it was called the baby bather. Compact and easy to clean. Once she could sit up on her own we moved her into an inflatable duck bathtub in our big tub - was only $10 on amazon and well worth it. She stayed in there until about 15 months before moving onto the regular tub.