September 2018 Moms

Nursery- The Big Post!

1235»

Re: Nursery- The Big Post!

• My H loves the idea of those no cord pull down ones. 

I love flowey long curtains. But the no cord pull downs do seem way safer! 
  • @magnolia209 all of our cordless shades have long curtains on the windows too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It’s been hard to get DH on board with any curtains. We’ve never had them because we have cats instead lol. I’m getting curtains next week hopefully and we’ll just cross our fingers!
  • Does anyone have recommendations for a crib mattress? I originally wanted organic but I don't want the most expensive thing in the world.
  • @ashh2018  ikwym. I haven't tried it yet, but I found this mini crib mattress we plan to try:

https://babyletto.com/products/pure-core-non-toxic-mini-crib-mattress-with-hybrid-waterproof-cover

It was $99, but it looks like it went up $20. Not sure how much the same thing costs for a full-size crib mattress.
  • ashh2018  DD is a great sleeper and I am sure it is becasue of her blackout blinds. And I even use blackout curtains overtop because light still gets in. 
  • I found this blanket set at buy buy baby and fell in love. Now I got to decide what colors to paint the walls. Maybe gray with a navy blue accent wall? The mint color is to light and I plan on adding accents in that color. But then what crib color should I get lol. Decorating is not my forte.
  • DH and I are currently “debating” over the nursery. We are in a 2br, and when we moved here, my parents gifted us a very nice futon (not like college-dorm style, but good quality and comfortable for older relatives to sleep on). We’ve gotten a lot of use out of it and had family visit enough to make up for the cost (about $1000), and it really does not fit with my plan for the room. It’s bad enough that I’m stuck with dirty, allergen filled carpet (we live in a rental) but I don’t need a big dirty futon that I can’t vacuum under. We can clean it all we want - it’s had a year of being in “the cats’ room” and the fur and litter dust won’t just get vacuumed away. It also makes the room cramped, rather than clear and organized. DH seems to think we need a place for both of us to sit - he said “well if you get rid of it, do we get two rocking chairs?” Which was adorable, but I explained that we don’t both need to sit there if I’m feeding baby at 3am. Does it sound like I’m being unreasonable and wasteful to want to get rid of it? I will try to sell for a couple hundred but if that fails, I just want it out :( 
  • @ashh2018 I would get rid of it. I’m in the same situation as you - 2 bedroom rental with ugly beige carpet. We just bought a really intense steam cleaner vacuum. I finally convinced H not to rip up the carpet himself (he was really close to doing that). We are just going to get it as clean as possible. Since you have a cat (s?) I can see how that futon would be trap for hair and dust. We are actually buying a pull out couch for the baby’s room. It’s because I want people to come stay with us and help with the baby! But, I agree that if yours feels unclean to you you should get rid of it. 
  • shaybug12 said:
    I found this blanket set at buy buy baby and fell in love. Now I got to decide what colors to paint the walls. Maybe gray with a navy blue accent wall? The mint color is to light and I plan on adding accents in that color. But then what crib color should I get lol. Decorating is not my forte.
    Depends on the size of the room. I’m no decorator but I like light and bright so I’d likely go light gray and maybe an aqua/green accent wall. Navy obviously works though too. 
  • @shaybug12 I'm not a fan of an accent wall with a different color paint, I think it looks very dated. I'd stick to light gray walls, and bring in the navy in curtains and/or a rug (unless that would be too dark). 

Do you not like the dark wood furniture in the picture? I'd go with the dark wood or gray furniture for a boy's room, personally. 
  • ashh2018 I would get rid of it. I have a similar problem. In the baby room, is a queen size bed. It gets used every now and again but I hate to get rid of it. I think I will just keep it in there for like a year or so then decide if I really need it since baby will be in our room for around six months. 
  • For those of you in rental apts like me, probably with no light fixtures - what are you doing for nursery lighting?
  • @ashh2018 I own my house, but we have almost no overhead lighting in any of our rooms. So we put a couple of lamps in DS's nursery and we'll do the same with the other room. 
  • starlastarla member
    @Wishilivedinflorida that looks great! I love the paint and the furniture, especially the dresser. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• @Wishilivedinflorida  Love it! That nursery feels so cozy! 

@shaybug12 You do you! Paint it whichever color(s) you won't mind staring at for the next year. I will say if you paint it grey/navy that I would get white furniture so it stays light in there. But that's a personal opinion. 

@ashh2018 I don't think you're being unreasonable. Although I'm biased since there's a futon in our nursery right now as well. It will be leaving after our shower on July 22nd, so my sister can use it one last time before it goes. The nursery is pretty big (like nearly the size of our master) and this futon still makes it feel cramped in there. 

• @starla and @SkilledSailor Thanks!

If anyone is interested, they still sell the above furniture set many places. The company is Smart Stuff and the collection is #myroom. It’s very high quality kids bedroom stuff that has a crib option but also has bunk bed, twin bed, desk, book case, you name it. I was somewhat spendy but doesn’t at all scream “baby” and should last DS through teen years (we did get the conversion kit for the crib). 

This kid isn’t going to have anything nearly as nice because their room is much smaller and I haven’t found any furniture I like yet. Second kid problems! Although I’m considering buying the bunk bed to match DS’s set if this LO is a boy too and bunking them down the road when they are old enough. 
  • @ashh2018 I don’t know about lighting yet, but we have no overhead lights also. H really likes long thin led lights and I’m guessing we will hang some of those plus get a cute/functional nightlight. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small round nursery rug that is not filled with toxic chemicals and still affordable? Blue preferably. 
  • My husband finished building the crib last night! The room looks amazing so far, I can't wait for the next few things--putting up peel-and-stick wallpaper on the wall behind the crib, and replacing the overhead light fixture with a ridiculous chandelier-type one from PotteryBarnKids. These were basically my 2 splurge items after being frugal on everything else. I also ordered some artwork from Etsy and frames from Amazon...hoping everything is all done in a week or two!
  • @Wishilivedinflorida, the room looks fabulous! I may look into that company because I have been having so much trouble finding a dresser I like that I think would be safe. I originally was going to put the changing pad like how you have it, but then I learned about dresser toppers, those wooden frames that sit on top of the dresser and basically make the pad stay in place. Does anyone know if those are necessary? I was not going to do a separate changing table.
  • @runninginva. I thought about the tray thing too, but for the money, I decided to skip it.  The changing pad covers have such pretty sides that you would never see in a tray, not to mention having to screw the tray into the dresser temporarily and potentially damage or scratch the dresser.  Some of the changing pad covers have grippy bottoms, but if not, I'm thinking puffy-paint to the rescue!!! Right?  Just like dots or wavy lines of puffy paint on the underside of the cover ought to be enough to keep it from sliding around too much.
  • @BusinessWife - Obviously you don't need one if you don't want one, but since you mentioned it our changing table station on DS's dresser screws into the back. No screw marks on top of the dresser and no scratches from it sliding around. 
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • My daughter's dresser came with the square tray piece for the changing pad on top, but the new dresser I bought for the new baby doesn't. Currently undecided if I'm going to "steal" my daughter's for the new baby, or just go without for the new baby. I mean, I've never had the kid on the changing table without a hand on her, so I don't think it's really necessary...although as she's gotten older she definitely does occasionally do a big jerk/squirm away which might cause the pad to move if the tray wasn't there...but really, that's way down the line. I don't think an infant needs the tray thing at all. 

Ours also screws onto the back of the dresser, so no marks on top.

As an aside, my daughter is starting to potty train so I'm not buying a new changing pad; I'm planning on stealing the changing pad for the new nursery, and just using a folded up blanket for my daughter until the potty training is finalized!
  • Progress starting to be made on the nursery.  I switched around dressers and organised the room.  Still more to be done yet, like painting, acquiring the second crib, etc..   It is currently my youngest daughters room and she will be sharing with the baby.  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @runninginva Our changing pad has skid bumpers on the bottom to prevent sliding, which were pretty effective until DS got big and strong. Now we just do our best to keep him still, and slide the thing back in place when he slides himself around. I don’t think the trays are necessary. And we also do most diaper changes on the living room floor except for after naps and before bed anyway. You aren’t going to leave baby unattended on a changing pad anyway, so you’ll be there to catch it if it slides. 
  • nackienackie member
    @runninginva we didn’t get a tray with DS and one he got to be about a year it was downright scary the way the pad would slide around when he squirmed. It was anchored to the back of the dresser, but not nearly secure enough for a a year old that’s fighting a diaper change. We spent the money on a change tray for the top of the dresser for this baby. 
  • I just had the pad on top of the changing table with no problems. There is the option to screw the pad to the dresser (Wich we didn't do) so that might bring you some comfort. 
  • Thank you guys for your suggestions. They really helped! @Wishilivedinflorida that looks really good! I love your furniture
  • @runninginva
    My husband just made a topper to add to the piece of furniture we are re purposing for her changing table.  It was cheap and easy.   
  • @Wishilivedinflorida The room looks fantastic!
  • Sorry - I think there may have been a crib/mattress thread a while back but I can’t seem to find it. Has anyone bought a Graco crib and used the “bonus” mattress that came with it? I like the idea of not having to buy another mattress, but it seems super thin and flimsy, so much that the cover is way too loose (which doesn’t seem safe). Thoughts or experience?
  • @samd6 I love the dresser!!
  • @samd6 bahaha! The art above the changing table is great! Does it have a backstory?
  • samd6samd6 member
    edited July 2018
    @EErin86 ha! Yes, kind of lol. My husband is an artist and he was invited to be in a Halloween art show a few years back. He made around 10 different trick or treaters and these are the ones that I couldn’t let him sell because we are kind of weirdos and I really loved them. They had been hanging in our house and when we were looking through the art we had to still hang he said “are these too weird for the baby room?”. We were going to do a monster theme but the little ghouls just fit too well
  • @samd6 thats so nice that the nursery has your husbands artwork. My sister does a lot of painting so a lot of times I steal things she has laying around