January 2019 Moms
Options

STM+ check-in week of 7/1

How far along are you (if you remember...)?

How are your other kids doing this week? 

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby?

Re: STM+ check-in week of 7/1

• Options
    About 11 weeks.

They are unhappy with me because they are facing the consequences of not doing their chores. (No screen time or friends until
    they complete their original chore, plus another one)

DD1 is also excited because her dance team is going to be in local Independence Day parade.

I was not going to co-sleep. My bed was for me and H, not for the baby. By 3 weeks baby was in our bed. And our other 2 co-slept from the beginning.

Also, once DD1 became a toddler and was a picky eater, I learned that DS1’s amazing eating habits (this kid is less picky than most adults) were not a result of my amazing parenting :lol: but that children have their own personalities that are less affected by our parenting than we’d like to think. 
  • Options

About 13 weeks

Still working on potty training. Other than that he’s doing well. 

Nothing really. I kept a pretty open mind. I didn’t want to be one of those “well I’ll never...” 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along are you (if you remember...)?  12+5

How are your other kids doing this week? She's been coughing all night the last few night, so I feel so bad. She'll cough, then cry because I think her throat hurts, then whimper back to sleep, just to cough again in 30 minutes. Other than that, she's been such a blast! She's happy, playful, and it's so fun watching her learn and respond to new things. Today I asked her to point to the owl on her book, and I didn't know she even knew what an Owl was yet, and she pointed to it. So fun!

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby?  No TV until 2 years old, then I changed it to 18 months, but we started letting her watch a little Little Baby Bum on Netflix (animated learning songs) at 17 months. I still can't wait until she'll sit still and enjoy watching Disney :)
    Also, No pacifier. This one has gone back and forth. I don't have problems with paci's before a year, but we said no to after that. Then she stopped taking them altogether and got attached still to a wubbanub. When I weaned at 8 months she started sucking on the paci on the wubbanub rather than just carrying it around. Then I thought, ok fine...only in naps/bedtime. Then she started going to her room when upset to get her wubbanub, or asking for it while upset, so she gets her wubbanub around the house on more occasions than I still want.

For me, I also don't care about not doing my hair every morning for work. I used to curl or straighten it..but now I either let it lay how it might, or I wear it up, most of the time. I also don't paint my nails often anymore, because who's got time to paint them and wait for them to dry while you have a baby or toddler to take care of? I also won't leave and go to the store just because i want one of something. Too much work.

Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    13+?

DD has had diarrhea for three weeks. Waiting on results of a stool sample analysis. I feel like it’s been so much longer than three weeks. Ugh. Otherwise she’s great though. Still generally her happy self. 

I tried to be pretty open minded. DD wears more frilly clothes than I was planning on but that’s really no big deal. I would have been ok with her being in our room a little longer but DH really wanted her in her own room at one month and she actually did fine and has always been a pretty good sleeper. I would like to start breaking the pacifier habit but I don’t know if I’m ready for that battle, and I fully expect it will be a battle. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    10w tomorrow. 

Readjusting after being spoiled at grandma's all weekend. 

Co-sleeping. We didn't do it all the time but when that four month wakeful hit, I gave up trying to put him in his crib. 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    pttomatopttomato member
    edited July 2018
    10 weeks

She’s been cranky and clingy this week.

I relaxed about some stuff because I can’t control other adults and it’s more important to me that she has a relationship with her grandparents, aunts, and cousins, and get to interact with other kids than that I can control her environment. I’ve learned to pick my battles with people and have let some stuff go I was planing on being stricter about. I also thought things like I will establish good sleep habits from the very beginning so she will be a great sleeper, and that failed horribly, lol. I don’t think I anticipated the reality of parenting a strong-willed child (although I should have because I used to argue with my mom just because I liked to argue).
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    How far along are you (if you remember...)? 13+6

How are your other kids doing this week? He's good!  He'll be 21 months (I think?) in like a week and he seems so grown up lately!  We went to the zoo Sunday and he was so much more into it than he ever has been before.  And he was able to walkfor a lot of it.  Plus, he's pooped on his potty twice now!  It's just a fluke because we're putting him on there when we think he'll have to go, butjopefully he'all learn the association.  Cleaning out the potty is pretty gross though, I might just try one of those sears that go on the toilet.  Also working on drinking from a regular cup.  And I just ordered him a bedding set for his crib.  Such a big boy! All the emotions.

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby? Cosleeping.  Never thought I'd cosleep but we did from 5-15 months.  He was a terrible sleeper and it worked.  I'll probably cosleep with the dockatot from day one with #2.
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    10+2

DS is doing pretty well, but he misses DH, who is gone for the next 3 weeks. DS is a picky eater, but he’s tried 3 new foods this week. 

Somehing I changed my mind on is how much influence parents have over a child’s personality. Kids are just going to be who they were made to be. DH and I are super laid back and easy going. Our child is a tornado. Right there with you @pttomato on parenting a strong-willed child. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    About 14 weeks.  I think.

They're doing great!  My almost three old has been talking to the baby a lot.  And my almost one year old says baby and that's about it.  Lol

A lot.  Every kid is different.
  • Options
    11 weeks tomorrow

DD is doing good- she is so excited for baby and now decided she wants a baby brother when she originally wanted a baby sister. I'm trying to encourage her independence more and more so that when baby comes hopefully she can get herself ready in the morning mostly by herself, and she's been improving which is great (she's 4)!

Cry it out and no screen time before 2 are the big ones I can think of. I was pretty adamant about the whole 'no cry sleep solution' sleep training when DD was a baby, but it didn't really work- she only gained sleep independence when we did cry it out- she ended up only crying for maybe 10 minutes max and took just a couple of days before she would fall asleep without sleep aid- though I know it's a bit controversial! I read the Ferber book which helped me understand it better before doing it. I was also pretty adamant about no screen time before 2 but by 1 I was trying to get her to watch just a little TV! 
  • Options
    10+3

Good! DS1 and I seem to be figuring out how to overcome the rough 3-year-old phase he's been in. He was such an easy baby, and an awesome 2-year-old, but turning 3 has been a BEAST. DS2&3 are getting more verbal skills, which is one of my favorite developments :)

Pacifiers- with the first I held off until a lactation consultant gave us some tips that included a paci. With the twins I was like "nope, paci those guys right away." Other than that I feel like I became more of a "crunchy" mom than I expected to be.
  • Options
    10+1

DD (2 this month) is doing well! She is doing great at using the potty since we started training her about 2 weeks ago and is even starting to tell us consistently when she has to go. She will even use public restrooms now, which makes me much more comfortable taking her out for longer than 2 hrs. Also, she started at a new daycare yesterday. I was so worried that it would be another 3 weeks of adjustment/crying, but it's only day 2 and she only cried a bit at drop off this morning. She was in no hurry to leave when I went to pick her up this afternoon. I'm so relieved that this transition seems to be going better for her than I expected. 

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby?
    Definitely screen time. I was planning on no TV until 18 months, but she is so high energy and wants me to play with her all the time. Sometimes I just need to get things done, or take a shower, or just chill for a min.. and if Peppa pig allows me to do that, so be it. It's not like she spends all day in front of the TV, but she watches a lot more than I thought I would have let her at this point. Especially in the mornings before I've had coffee.. I can't play chase at 6 AM, lol. I've also noticed that she's playing pretend more modeling after things she's seen on Peppa.. that can't be all bad, right?
  • Options
    10w 2d

DD is doing well. She is recovered from her summer virus last week and is back to her high energy self.

I thought if I only offered my kid healthy food choices, then she would be a good eater. So wrong. Restrictive eaters are their own thing, doesnt matter how hard you model good eating. And the whole "if they are hungry enough they will eat anything" is a bald faced lie.

• Options
    It's not like she spends all day in front of the TV, but she watches a lot more than I thought I would have let her at this point. Especially in the mornings before I've had coffee.. I can't play chase at 6 AM, lol. I've also noticed that she's playing pretend more modeling after things she's seen on Peppa.. that can't be all bad, right?
    Yes! And Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood! I love when my 3 year old is so willling to date something i ask her to do and then sings, “I can be a big helper in my family!” 
  • Options
    @libertymomrn Daniel Tiger is the other go to show at our house! I really like that one because of the social/emotional skills it teaches :)
  • Options
    I can't get my 22 month old to watch anything but Barney. But she truly learns so much from it. She sings and dances. She speaks so well but that is probably because of her 9 yesterday old sister and us talking to her all the time.
  • Options
    sweetyjenjsweetyjenj member
    edited July 2018
    @Mandamay1414 I wish DD would watch something like Peppa Pig or Masha and the Bear lol anything with a plot. Currently, the only thing she'll sit and be excited about it Little Baby Bum songs on Netflix. We only watch it probably an hour total all week, but I have those songs in my head all day long.

@luckymay2x omg the eating :s I thought the same as you, if I provide multiple healthy choices for each meal (a fruit, veggie, grain, protein) she would learn to eat well, but some days she only eats the fruit, or eats none of it, or some days she LOVES her eggs, the next day she HATES her eggs. I also said I would never offer a different choice after refusing my initial food options, but sometimes I offer her a different choice because I just want her to eat, and then I cringe every time because I know that can encourage picky eating. ughhhh
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    I really like Daniel Tiger! It’s a kid show I can stand and that potty song is sung about 50 times a day around here!  :D
  • Options
    How far along are you (if you remember...)? 11 weeks

How are your other kids doing this week? He's great. He played in the stream and wandered around outside for a few hours with DH while I went to the grocery store this evening. He wore himself out. 

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby? I thought I'd cloth diaper until he was potty trained, but we stopped at a year. I also got pregnant and exhausted when he turned 1, so that had a lot to do with it. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    How far along are you (if you remember...)? 11 weeks and some change

How are your other kids doing this week? DS is doing ok. We had a funeral for one of my cheerleaders today and it's been a really emotionally charged week since they found her body. So, my son's been acting out but it's my fault...I've been distant mentally.

GTKY: What is something you changed your mind on after having a baby? Ummmm co sleeping. I said we never would, but I love cuddles and it allowed us to squeeze some extra sleep in which is necessary.
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj When DD was younger, she would only watch Little Baby Bum too. I think when she got to about 19 or 20 months she was able to pay attention to shows with plots a bit better. We still don't have the attention span for movies, which I wish we did for these horrible hot days. 
  • Options
    12+6

DD (2yo) is doing great, she is hilarious and really into copying everything we say.  We went to a kids concert this morning and she kept yelling, "kid power!" She also talks about the baby often and I think she will be a sweet big sister! 

Pacifiers-- DD really loves them and still does....she only gets it at sleeping time, but we have to wean her off it soon.
  • Options
    @UnbreakableKimmySchmidt I am not looking forward to getting rid of pacifiers. DS likes them most for naps and in the car.  When we can't find one he goes all around the house yelling "binky, here binky". We are hoping to get rid  of them before he turns 2 which is in September but we will see 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @drabong88 I'm hoping when we move DD to her big girl bed we can also get rid of the pacifier.  She def needs to forget about it before the new baby comes, ha!
  • Options
    @drabong88 my little two will be 2 in September as well! Their birthday is the 13th :)

We ditched DS1's paci the week of his second birthday, and just broke it out for the occasional nap as a last resort. I feel like it was easier with him because he could see his baby brothers with pacifiers, so when we told him they were just for babies he was okay with that. I suspect DS2 is going to be much more difficult, and I'm not looking forward to that!
  • Options
    11+4

Both girls have been really good and sweet this week. DD2 is into everything! So much different than DD1 who we never had to babyproof anything for. She is also the child that I fear we will have to take to the ER. DD1(4 yrs) is also very excited to tell everyone about the baby and can’t wait to share the news at summer camp. We told her she had to wait until after our follow-up appointment tomorrow morning to check on the growth that they found on the baby. 

Not much. MH and I are pretty laid back and go with the flow. 
  • Options
    13 weeks +1

We’ve had a pretty great week. He’s had so much fun swimming and doing all the 4th of July activities. He’s actually starting to be able to swim (underwater mostly, but it’s actual swimming)! I’m glad because we couldn’t afford the trendy expensive lessons a lot of people around here are taking, so I’ve been trying to teach him myself. 

We also finally told him about the baby Sunday. He’s so excited and keeps asking about it. Yesterday he randomly said “I can’t wait for the baby to come out of your tummy. I love that baby.” 4 is a pretty cool age. 

I swore I’d never have a picky eater! Jokes on me.

I also totally thought I’d do cry it out, which I never managed to do.

Pregnancy Ticker