November 2018 Moms

One Baby Item You Couldn't Live Without

Okay, ladies, I did a quick search here and also searched my memory, and I don't remember covering this topic yet. If we have, I'm sorry and disregard!

STMs, what was one baby item that you couldn't live without after having your little one(s)? I thought this might be useful for FTMs to check out to make shopping/registering easier, and maybe STMs can get some ideas we might've missed out on before or thought weren't necessary. 

Let's hear 'em!

Re: One Baby Item You Couldn't Live Without

• I'll start - I would absolutely recommend a good wrap or carrier! I used the Moby for those early days, and it was a godsend. DS wanted to be carried constantly, and if I hadn't worn him, nothing would've gotten done. I still wear him sometimes, although now in my Lillebaby Carrier, and he's two. Definitely worth the investment!
  • I couldn’t have lived without a breast pump but that probably doesn’t count. 
    Our sound soother was and still is a must have item. That white noise was imperative to getting her to sleep through the night and was so helpful in recreating her sleep environment when she had to sleep somewhere else. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited July 2018
    @MouseMama817 So much yes to the white noise. I thought I could get by with a little Sleep Sheep (I always played him the whale sounds), but it turns off after 45 minutes, which was a huge bummer. Eventually I just used an app on my iPod and played rain or ocean sounds through our speaker. That way I knew it would last through the night!

ETA: @runningyogimama I really loved our Rock and Play, too! It was great to keep DS in while I showered and was easy to move from room to room. Will definitely be busting it back out for baby number 2.
  • @lachnessmomster Oh, yes, the rock n play is great for that, too! It’s definitely what mine were in while I showered for the first few months, or for naps around the house in the early weeks. It’s nice it’s so easy to move room to room!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• The automatic rock n play was a life saver for us. DS wouldn't sleep much in the pack n play basinet or the swing. The rock n play was amazing not just for sleeping, but it was light and easy to move around as PP mentioned so I could use it while I was showering, doing stuff around the house, etc. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• I didnt have a rock n play with DS but it is the first thing I have purchased this time around. Hoping it will replace the need to have a swing and a bouncer (which I still have stored away for backup). 

I would have to say our must have was a boppy pillow. Although you can get by without it, my son is 3 and has been sleeping with it every night since he was old enough to have pillows in his bed. It is also great to prop baby up next to you when they are old enough to hold their own bottle, just so you can get simple things done like folding laundry or eating yourself. 

Had to buy a second one for this baby because there is no way DS is giving his up any time soon. Also was a great comfort piece to take along when he would sleep somewhere different like Papa's house or on vacation.
  • @wildrainbow I swore I wouldn't need a swing or any fancy equipment when baby arrived, but shortly after he was born, I splurged on a Mama-Roo. I had gift cards to use, so I didn't pay for the whole thing out of pocket, but it was a nice luxury to have around. I still wonder if he would've liked a regular swing more, though.
  • I have nothing useful to add, but am furiously adding things to my "to buy" list.  Thanks ladies!
  • A swing for baby was very useful. She was so settled in it when i needed to get on because of the motion of it xx
  • I'm getting a hand me down mama roo and super excited about it! Due to its size wiuwo you all recommend the rock and play in addition since it's mobile?
  • I had a few items that I think were super useful...

1. White noise of some sort for the reasons mentioned above. It makes nighttime sleeping anywhere easier. We use an old phone with an app of a fan noise. 

2. A carrier that can be used with a newborn for sure. We definitely wore both kids a ton for the first year while out. It was better than having a stroller. 

3. A manual breastpump for while out and about. If I became engorged, this was super helpful to have in the diaper bag. I swear my milk came in with a vengeance with my second...I used this little pump all the time in the car. 

4. A portable sleeping/lying surface for when you need shower, or cook, or just set the kiddo down for a second. We used a bouncer with an interactive arch over it. It would only entertain for about 10 mins, but that was long enough for a shower! 
    Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• A lot of my tops have been mentioned and are definite necessaries (Baby carrier, sleep sheep/white noise, and especially the rock n play) I would also highly recommend an activity gym/play mat. Excellent for entertaining baby while you eat breakfast or get dressed or fold laundry etc. The piano at provided the soundtrack to my breakfast for months 

• Baby swing! He was a swing napper for the first several months. Probably the most important item in our house. 

• Echoing a wrap! I used my boba everyday for the first 6 months, then went to the ergo as she got heavier. I bought a second boba this time around to have a back up. 

And white noise machine, yes, my 2.5 yo still uses hers everyday to sleep. 

Nose frida, gas drops. 

My child unfortunately hated the swing, mamaroo, rock n play, literally anything that wasn’t my arms lol. But sometimes if I was desperate for a shower she would tolerate this vibrating seat thing that came with the PNP. My PNP has never actually been used by her, I use it for extra diaper and blanket storage. So much stuff. Also the diaper genie is sometimes controversial, but I swear by them. In fact I have 2, one downstairs in living room, one upstairs in nursery. Zero poop smell in my house and we emptied on garbage days. 
  • The rock n play!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @ftm_jen I would definitely recommend both, because the Rock and Play is so much more portable. I did move the Mama-Roo from room to room occasionally, but it's bulkier and heavier, so it was kind of a pain in the ass. I mostly kept it in the living room.
  • I couldn't live without my ring sling. DS didn't like the swing at first but over time he got used to it. It was a lifesaver when working. I could throw him in the swing and he'd sleep while I was on the phones. 
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker

• For DD she would only sleep swaddled, so those Velcro swaddles/sleep sacks were a lifesaver

We also LOVED our Mamaroo. That thing was amazing at calming her or putting her to sleep

We also have a formula pitcher that mixes up a days worth of formula that you can just stick in the fridge for the day. That thing is awesome

White noise machine. We have a Skiphop owl night light that plays nursery rhymes and has white noise options. It’s awesome. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I definitely can’t pick just one! 

The Rock and Play was a lifesaver. 

The Ergo was a lifesaver. 

A good breast pump when I went back to work with both kids helped me meet my goals of only breastmilk for the first year for both kiddos. 

• Definitely the rock n play! 
    Swaddle sacks and footed pj's. DS lived in the PJs for a very long time lol and he slept in the swaddle sacks for a good 6-8 months.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • MojieJoMojieJo member
    edited July 2018
    As a formula feeder, we'd never have made it without our Baby Brezza (we actually have two, one for upstairs, one for downstairs). 

Our twins were on two different formulas, too, so it made it easy to have one filled with each type of formula so we could make bottles without having to worry about proportions or getting everything out of the cabinet every time.

It makes bottles so fast and at the perfect temperature.  The only problem is having to empty and clean the formula holder part regularly because it gets clogged with gooey or caked formula that's absorbed moisture from the air.

It makes middle of the night feedings so much easier, though.  

Also, a white noise machine.  We have a Dohm and still use it every night.  It cuts down on almost all the ambient noise in the house and soothes the boys wonderfully.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• In no particular order:

Formula pitcher
    Boppy Lounger
    Baby Whisperer app

Also, if you have a CS, an in-bed cosleeper is incredible. We have this one and it made recovery so much easier!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • A bouncer for every level of your house! Bouncers are my lifesaver.

My boppy was a must have and wish I had multiple of them. Love swaddle sacks. A good diaper bag will change your life. Water Wipes are my favorite for newborns. Sit me up seats are great. Invest in good, self closing baby gates. Car seat mirrors are helpful. 

I supplemented formula with my first, but never saw a point in having a pitcher or dispenser. Swings were worthless for my kids. Could probably live without pack and plays. Dr. Brown's bottles are the devil and more trouble than they're worth with all those little pieces. Never used the swing much for either kid. Coats/shoes, etc. are worthless for newborns. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So many amazing things already mentioned, it’s so hard to pic one. I’d say my top 3 are a infant carrier, rock and play and sleep sacks. 
  • +1 for the SwaddleMe sleep sack thingies. DD could bust out of a swaddled blanket like Houdini, so these were a huge lifesaver.
  • So many great ideas!

I'll go with burp cloths being essential since dd spit up a ton. Numerous times a day. Everywhere. Not tiny baby spit ups, but huge spit ups. We went through so many burp cloths on a daily basis. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland Ahhh, yes. The spit-up days. Can't wait to start those all over again! 
  • @offtoneverland yes! DS had reflux that lead to projectile vomiting. SpaSilk burp cloths were my go to. They were incredibly absorbent.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • @offtoneverland I love the muslin burp cloths, I felt like they were more absorbtant than regular, plus they were so much bigger
  • @wildrainbow @middleschoolmommy Thanks for the recommendation! I added both to my registry. My favorite type of burp cloths were the Gerber cloth diaper things. They worked really well! I'm crossing my fingers this baby doesn't spit up as much though. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland me too! I had burp cloths of every shape and size and they all worked fine. Also used the Aden and Anais blankets for spit rags or whatever was around. So, I would add a crap load of cloths that can be used to wipe up milk. 

• bkosybkosy member
    Oh I love cloth diapers used as burp cloths. So absorbent. 

As a 3rd time mom I'm taking some of your advice. Always something new to learn!
  • Yes to cloth diapers as burp clothes! They are the absolute best! 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @highsteaks, they changed the Wubbanubs that I bought a few years ago for DD1 :frowning:   They no longer put beads in the feet to add weight which helped them stay put so I am debating on whether or not I want to buy more for DD2 or look for something else.  I haven't decided yet but I do have the purple monster on my registry and it is adorable!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @purelex i had three of the same one for dd, the first had the beads and the last two did not. i don’t think i had a problem without the extra weight, but i can’t say for certain! i know i’ve seen other versions from different brands lately; if you look at some of those, please let me know what you think!
  • Breast pumps because we had issues with latex/tongue tie.  I ended up using a hospital grade and if you need to pump a lot I really recommend renting one, but also having a double electric and or manual on hand from the beginning.  A breast friend was so helpful with positioning in the beginning.  
    I couldn’t really put the baby down in anything in the beginning, she just wanted to be held, but after a few months the exersaucer (or jumparoo) was amazing.  I could get a quick shower or make food. 
    I also loved my cloth diapers and dohm sound machine.  I liked having baby carriers even though she didn’t really like being worn unless I was walking so I couldn’t just hang out around the house.  I love my city mini stroller it’s been the only one I’ve needed.