TTC #2 January '21
BFP June '21
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
Jan '22 - started IF testing
BFP Jan '22
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
BFP May '22

Re: UO Thursday 6/28

• I hate getting mani/pedis. There’s very little about them that I find enjoyable, and would rather spend my time doing something else. I do love the end result though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @tessiesmom26 - that made me laugh

@BabyBoyH92016 - I'm so ticklish that I always tell them not to do the scrubby part of the pedi then I feel like I wasted $ cause I didn't get the full service.

@runningyogimama - I hate it too!! I think it's just fb trying to be like Snapchat. All in all, ridiculous!

I don't have an UO today but enjoy reading this thread 

• @kamahina9 I also hate the scrubby part of the pedi because I’m ticklish too. I suffer through it though bc my feet need it. 
  • @offtoneverland

Hehehe

I like the idea of themed UOs! 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• @lifesabeach85 I had to do the 2 holiday thing for a couple years, due to parents divorce, and it was SO annoying. Before having DS, we would just pick one. After DS, each grandparent wanted to see him ON the holiday -_- I was just happy they only lived 45 mins apart. This year, since there will be a newborn around Thanksgiving, I'm thinking of having the grandparents over potluck style. I really don't want to have to drag such a young baby to another house, or 2, for hours. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • bkosybkosy member
    @lifesabeach85 I live in Maryland, my parents in Florida and my sister and brother in  New Jersey. So almost every holiday is spent with my husband's family. But I know what you mean! I think cramming everything in one day would be stressful!
  • @lifesabeach85 I second that! Once I married DH, the usual one-stop holiday festivities turned into a two- but usually three-day traveling circus visiting multiple houses. His parents are divorced, one set of grand parents in basically home bound, and the other set all but demands everyone come to their house (two and a half hours from us) on every major holiday. Then there my family. One day, all together, in one house. 
    Family is going to get all kinds of butthurt this year when we have a new born halfway across the country and aren’t coming “home” for the holidays. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BabyBoyH92016 I'm the exact same way. My mind constantly goes to all the other things I need to be doing and it isn't enjoyable for me. But, I can't paint my own nails to save my life, so it is a necessary evil.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @lifesabeach85 I wish my mom would accept us not doing holidays with her every year! My dad has been wonderful (my parents are divorced), and unfortunately rarely ever sees us on the actual holiday, because he is okay with seeing us a different day to celebrate since he knows we have 3 families to see. My IL’s also insist on doing the actual holiday (or always doing Christmas Eve). My mom lives about 45 mins away and throws a hissy fit about not seeing us if she doesn’t see us on an actual holiday, and then guilts me about it for months. The ILs are 5 mins away, so DH feels they should always be the priority because it’s essier. I find holidays to be absolutely miserable! I dread thanksgiving and Christmas and birthday time. And our house isn’t big enough for us to tell them all to just come to us. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• *lurking*
    @runningyogimama I'm right there with you! Holidays are so stressful and I always end up in the middle and crying. Thanksgiving my mom/ MIL actually agreed that we would do every other year with them. Which is absolutely ridiculous because we all live 20 minutes away from each other and see each other multiple times a week. The fact that niether of them would budge and make their lunch a dinner time we are doing every other year. Christmas is even worse. We have 2 on Christmas Eve and 2 on Christmas day-  not including our own Christmas. And because I'm due right around Christmas I can only imagine the storm that's coming if me/ baby don't make it to one. 
  • Wow, all that holiday stuff sounds so stressful. MH and I agreed that we would spend every other Christmas with each other’s family, and just told people that’s the deal. This year we’ve said we’re staying at home since we’ll have a newborn, and our families are just planning around us. My parents definitely did alternate Christmases with my different sets of grandparents when I was a kid, so maybe they just get that practically it’s not possible to spend Christmas with everyone every year? Best of luck to all of you dealing with tricky family holiday stuff!
  • We spend Christmas day at the house. My mother made the rule after she had my brother because going to see familywith three kids was awful, her words not mine. When I was pg with ds, I told both of our families that if they wanted to see us, they were more than welcome at our house, but Christmas day was at our horse. Period. We received a little blow back from H's family, but I just told him that we were a family too, and his family could travel to us. I'm happy I stuck to my guns about it. FIL and BIL spend Christmas with us and it's so special and awesome to spend Christmas day at our house. It reminds me how wonderful my Christmases were growing up. 
  • +1 for staying at home. Because we get DSD only certain days each month we usually end up doing a christmas/thanksgiving hybrid mid-December with my parents so they get to see her and then spend time with the in-laws on christmas eve or after christmas so they can see her. By the time christmas rolls around we are happy to stay home with our own little family, open presents, play, and if I feel like it I still make a big holiday meal so we can live on yummy leftovers for a week lol. 
  • So, we have it a bit more challenging for holidays. My DH works nights and holidays so holidays take a lot if planning. Not yo mention our current house is very tiny and not good for hosting people. So Thanksgiving is easy, I am the cook in my family and we always spend it at my parents house. His parents are both gone and his siblings all go to an ILs house since none of them really cook.

Now Christmas is more challenging depending on if he us working. Christmas Eve with his family, and we always are there late and I hate it because I feel like we are missing out on Christmas Eve traditions. It is also just a get together, not a dinner, so I am always so hungry afterwards. Christmas morning is at our house, and then in the afternoon we go down to my parents.

For those if you that make family come to you, how do they work that if more than one sibling has grandchildren? Do the grandparents just bounce around all day?
  • @bkosy What part of Maryland do you live in? I'm in Maryland too!

I'm with you guys on the holiday travel. I always miss my family around the holidays, but I'm also kind of thankful we don't have family near us so we don't have to be pulled in a hundred different directions. My close friend spends every holiday season complaining non-stop about everything she has to do, and it drives me crazy. Like, just say no to someone so you can relax and actually enjoy a holiday for once! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland The years I’ve said no to my mom have been far more stressful dealing with her guilt-tripping me, that it’s not even worth it to stand my ground. I’m REALLY hoping that’s with a newborn this holiday season, I’m in a major fuck-it mood and will just tell everyone no and ignore the fallout.

BabyFruit Ticker

• @runningyogimama That's a good point. My family is pretty laid back and not super traditional, so I know they would understand if we said no. My friend's families are much more traditional though, so you're right that it's probably much more stressful to say no! I just wish that one of these years she could have a relaxing holiday season instead of having to run all over the place. Hopefully your new baby excuse will work well this year and no one will get upset with you for staying home! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • We made the rule a few years ago that our kids will always wake up in their beds on a Christmas morning. It is such a special, magical feeling to have Christmas in our own home every year. My parents almost always come to us because I’m an only child. Dh’s parents are always invited, but they have 3 kids so I typically can avoid hosting them on Christmas. They are really hard to host. When they come, it’s like they expect us to have every meal planned and prepared and really do very little to help. I’m used to my parents who always jump right in.

Thanksgiving usually ends up in us traveling because of my Christmas rule. It’s hard because I love that holiday and wish we could relax more, but I wouldn’t give up Christmas at home for it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Oh, I’ve got a UO! Fireworks are obnoxious! They made them legal here inside city limits a handful of years ago, and it’s basically 2 weeks straight of idiots lighting them off late into the night. If it was just the 4th, fine. But it’s a week or two, every year. There is just NO reason! And who are these people who don’t have jobs to go to in the morning who need sleep (and they obviously don’t have kids or dogs)? 

BabyFruit Ticker

• @runningyogimama I don't like fireworks either! It's fun to see them once a year at a big public event, but I hate when the neighbors set them off. They're illegal here, but our neighbors set off tons of firecrackers and things like that on 4th of July and New Years. Our dog ends up barking all night long and it's so annoying having to deal with it. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • edited July 2018
    @runningyogimama My son was born so close to July 4th that our neighbors were setting off fireworks the night we brought him home from the hospital. So, that was kind of special. They always set them off on the 4th and New Year's, and I don't mind that. I always say they're for him when they start going off near his birthday. Lol. But yeah, after those two occasions, when DS has never been an easy sleeper to begin with, I'm ready for people to chill out with the fireworks and get back to normal life.

ETA: spelling
  • @offtoneverland and @lachnessmomster If the fireworks here were just on the holiday (like people used to do, when they weren’t legal), I wouldnt mind, but 1.5-2 weeks of messed up sleep for all of us this time of year is just obnoxious! My 4 year old can’t fall asleep sleep with them going off, and neither can I, and I get up at 5 for work. So she’s grumpy for a few weeks, and I’m even more exhausted.

BabyFruit Ticker

• bkosybkosy member
    @offtoneverland I live in Baltimore county. What about you?! 

I feel like I see so many firework posts on social media I don't even need to go see them anymore
  • @bkosy This is true, but I still like the real deal over someone's crappy, blurry cell phone pictures. And it's fun taking DS now, because he's starting to really enjoy them, too!
  • bkosybkosy member
    @lachnessmomster yeah I wasn't being completely serious. Now that my girls are older I'll definitely be taking them. Although I'm not looking forward to the crowds.
  • @lachnessmomster I typically don't have anything extra to add to conversation by the time I read everything. Rather than saying the same thing 5 people already said I just keep quiet.

It's an awful excuse but driving an hour to work, working for 10+ hours, driving an hour home, making eating and cleaning dinner then bed is about all the energy I have right now. I just can't sleep so I'm posting rather than sleeping this am. I try to stay active on here and love the support from everyone to say the least! 
  • I know I'm a little late to the party (I've had family in town all weekend and haven't been able to get online), but I'm with you on all the ridiculous travel for the holidays. My parents are divorced and I remember the hissy fits my mom used to throw when we would leave around noon on Christmas to head to my dad's house (mind you, we spent Christmas Eve with her in-laws, stayed at her house overnight, then spent Christmas morning with her). It made Christmas something I dreaded instead of looked forward to. Most of my family is out of state and DH's family is, too. We said we'd do the traveling thing until we have kids - then they can come to us. I want my kids to enjoy the holidays and not feel like they're a burden. 

We may make the occasional trip to AZ to spend Christmas with my brother (mostly with my niece and nephew), but it's certainly not going to be an every year thing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MouseMama817MouseMama817 member
    edited July 2018
    I hate the “stories” feature on FB and Instagram. I just don’t get it. (I think that makes me old)
    I actually love the IG stories feature but I don't understand or care about the new IG video function. It's like IG is trying to make its own Youtube and I just don't have patience for it.

Re: Holidays. We have a scheduled csection on 11/20 so we will either be in the hospital on Turkey day or coming home on that day. Problem solved lol. I was stressed about having a lot of people around our newborn during flu season until I realized the dates.

As far as traveling goes, I made the rule 3 years ago that we do not travel for holidays, period. We thought things would be simple holiday-wise because DH's family celebrates on Christmas Eve while mine celebrates on Christmas Day, and they celebrate Thanksgiving a week late to accommodate my BIL who is a chef and so always worked on Tday, while my family celebrates on the actual day. However what that ended up looking like on DD's first holiday season was we had a very late Christmas Eve dinner at the in-laws (they do a midnight dinner, we negotiated for a reasonable dinner time, they compromised with 9pm. This happens every year.), then spent all Christmas Day going from house to house. Exhausting. On Thanksgiving we traveled to my BIL's 2 hours away and then 2 hours back so another late and exhausting day.
    So now the rule is, if you want to see us during the holidays you must come to us. On Christmas we will go to my parents house after we open gifts at home but that's only because they live literally next door to us so it's easy. We stay for maybe an hour and then we're right back at home for the rest of the day. My kids memories and my own sanity are so much more important to me than pleasing everyone. 

Edited because I never remember to consolidate acknowledgements and contributions into one post.
  • @soehlerk Oh girl, I get it. June/the first week of July is birthday madness around here so I buy my cards in bulk at the dollar store. The arm-twisting though, ugh. Two of our cards were sent out late last month because DH wouldn't freaking sign them when I asked him to. Overall though I enjoy sending them because it never fails to make the person feel special that we remembered enough to do it.
  • @soehlerk Second that! I HATE cards. I find it to be a waste of money that could of been added into the gift. It is to the point that the card less gift everyone just knows is from me. My birthday this year my sister gave my gift in a gift bag with the card unused so that I would just re use it... She got it back two months later for her birthday.