Infertility
Options

Need help in helping a friend heading for IUI

Hi everyone.
A good friend of mine with unexplained Secondary IF is heading towards her first IUI (all her tests came back normal) and I really want to support her but I know nothing about IUI and what she might face. I went straight to IVF and FET so I don't know what her options might be, what she should expect and what her protocol might be in terms of tests and meds. Her doctor didn't tell her anything other than she'll be on Clomid and to call the clinic on CD1 and I don't think my friend even knows what questions she should be asking. She was very surprised when I asked her about US and a trigger shot.
If you don't mind sharing your IUI cycle so that I can better understand and share the information with her, I will really appreciate it.
Is it normal to do IUI with just Clomid and no trigger? When do you usually go for US? Do they check follicles in IUI like they do in IVF (monitoring progress)? Do you check ovulation at home?
I don't know how my friend chose her RE and the clinic and I would hate for her to have a bad experience just because she didn't know to ask the right question to better understand all the whats and whens.

Thank you!
*I already suggested she joins a forum and I explained the benefits of such an amazing support group but I think she's just not ready to share her journey with other people, not yet anyway*

Re: Need help in helping a friend heading for IUI

• Options
    for my IUIs I did -
    day 2-4: baseline ultrasound, then start 5 days of ovulation induction meds (for me it was letrozole)
    day 11-12: second ultrasound, additional if needed to monitor follicle development and lining (would use OPKs if mid cycle days were over the weekend but the monitoring was what truly guided decision making)
    -when lead follicle is ready, do HCG trigger and then 36 hours later IUI
    -vaginal progesterone support until 14dpIUI and then HPT

I think it's important to do ultrasound monitoring with clomid as it can cause or exacerbate cysts, and the trigger shot also makes the IUI more likely to succeed than OPK alone just because the timing gets more precise.
    TTC History in Spoiler
    Me: 29  DH:34
    TTC 21 cycles
    All TI cycles BFN (with letrozole, ovidrel, prometrium)
    Hysteroscopy + Polypectomy + D&C on 1/3
    IUI #1 February 6, BFP 2/21, CP 2/26
    IUI #2 March 14, BFN
    IUI #3 April 11, BFN
    IUI #4 May 11, BFN
    July 2018 IVF, developed lead follicle, converted to TI, BFN
    August/September 2018 IVF converted to freeze-all: 7 mature eggs; we fertilized 3 and froze 4. 3/3 fertilized and 1 blast!
    October 2018 FET-BFN
    November 2018 FET-TBD