February 2019 Moms
Options

Electing cell free dna test?

Are there any moms under 35 who are electing to get the cell free DNA test ?  I elected to get it done with my third since my second Had a two vessel cord found out his anatomy scan that made me “high risk” and stressed because it was soft marker for chromosomal abnormalities.  I wish that that test have been made available to me for him since there was a lot of stress at 20 weeks when that was found.  Anyway -  i’m electing to have it again this time around and wonder if anyone is with me.  the only downside is having to pay for it out-of-pocket since my insurance won’t cover it but it’s worth piece of mind for me.  

Re: Electing cell free dna test?

• Options
    I’m not sure if this is the same thing but I’m electing to have the maternal serum testing done ( I’m in Canada ) it tests for genetic abnormalities and it’s completely by choice. It’s two blood tests one done at 9 weeks and one done at 16 weeks. 
  • Options
    If my insurance will cover it again, I will. I need to call and check. Otherwise I’ll just do regular blood testing and an NT scan. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m still confused about all the screenings they offered me at my appointment. @campinginthewoods can you remind me what the test you mentioned is all about? Is that the optional blood test? 
  • Options
    Yes! I was offered the Panorama test at 10 or 11 weeks with DD. My DH has a science background, so he was the one who suggested we do it. I will do it again if it’s still offered. I wish more insurance companies would cover this test. 

• Options
    edited June 2018
    @antera23 so many tests are offered!  No worries.  the cell free dna is a maternal blood test that is quiet accurate in determining chromosomal abnormalities and gender.  It is still a screening but more accurate than the NT scab and blood test for that scan combined.  The NT scan/screening is usually offered around 12-15 weeks and looks for the three trisonomies and a few other conditions. The results for that one are given as a range like 1:10,000 or 1:4 for abnormalities.  Sex is not determined by the Nt SCAN. 

Insurance companies won’t typically pay fpr The cell free dna unless mom is 35 or over so it’s not typically offered Toby your OB/MW.  You can elect to have it and pay out of pocket though.  Also, many places will have a relationship with a company and a representative who helps you navigate insurance and likely pay less. 

Hope that helps. 

ETA spelling 
  • Options
    We will be getting the genetic testing done, we have with all our kids (bonus that we will also find out the sex, but not the reason we choose to do it) Last time our doctor used Counsyl, but I don’t know if it will be the same or not this time around. 
    With DD2 we elected to have it done so we had to pay pretty much out of pocket (almost $500, they did cover a little bit) but I’m glad we did because we ended up getting an IUGR diagnosis and at least we had peace of mind right away that it wasn’t due to a genetic abnormality.
    This time I’m hoping they will cover it because I’ll be considered high risk because the IUGR could be recurring in this pregnancy.
    Either way we will get it done though.

• Options
    @campinginthewoods thank you for explaining the test to me!
    I don’t believe we will be getting that or any other optional screenings done. I totally understand why you would want to though. 
  • Options
    We might do it just because our insurance might cover a lot of it. I’m still looking into it. 
  • Options
    We did cell free DNA with DD and will do it again. I’m under 35 (barely this time!). We had to pay around $700 bc insurance didn’t cover it. This year H had surgery so our deductible should be met, so hopefully won’t be as expensive. We don’t use it to find out the sex. Only for abnormalities. I know chances are great for a healthy baby, but I like the peace of mind or being able to prepare as best I can. 
  • Options
    If you are thinking about the test I would definitely recommend checking with your insurance to see if it’s covered, and if not if it will count towards your deductible. During my first pregnancy my insurance denied a $3,000 bill for the test and it didn’t apply to my deductible. Long story short, I didn’t pay anything for the test, but I was a little panicked for a bit!
  • Options
    I’m AMA, so I believe it will be covered, but we will get the test regardless. 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Options
    I’m 34 and electing to do it.

• Options
    elliecele17elliecele17 member
    edited June 2018
    @canadianmom89 I’m so lost.  Is your test the same as the others mentioned? All this talk of insurance makes me assuming they are American? @runnermom9 / @ginger1228 Please correct me if I’m wrong. Is the test your taking covered under OHIP (I’m assuming your in ON - might be wrong though) 
  • Options
    @elliecele17 I’m in the U.S. The cell free dna test is typically covered for those over 35 or with other risk factors. Insurance coverage here can vary a lot though. 
  • Options
    @elliecele17 sorry, I’m also in the US 
  • Options
    @elliecele17 the maternal serum test in the states is part of the NT Scan, typically offered around 12-15 weeks.  
  • Options
    @elliecele17 this might help: https://prenatalscreeningontario.ca/for-parents/screening-choices/
    I'm opting for eFTS. I don't know about ohip coverage for anything else though. 
  • Options
    We're getting it done  at 10 weeks, and I'm also under 35 and in the US. My doctor offered it through a company called Innatal, and their average patient cost is under $200. My doc said it would cost $99 out of pocket for us. We just want peace of mind bc we're nervous first time parents - if the results are low-risk or negative we can avoid stressing about more invasive test options later. Are all these super expensive options coming from other companies that do the testing?
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    I don’t know much about different test options, but I’m 29 and want to do as many non-invasive tests as possible, provided insurance covers it or out of pocket isn’t outrageously pricey. I have my first group appt Thursday next week, hoping they’ll give us info on what type of tests are available then.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    My OB told me that because I'll be AMA at the time of delivery (I turn 35 2 weeks before baby is due), that insurance should cover it (Panorama).  I'll be calling today to double check that.  
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited July 2018
    If insurance I’ll cover it this time- I’m in. I’ve never done it before. 

Eta: I was told it was $350 out of pocket through Counsyl. TW(one of my losses was a confirmed trisomy, so I may be able to get coverage even though I am under 35). 
  • Options
    megzpye said:
    We're getting it done  at 10 weeks, and I'm also under 35 and in the US. My doctor offered it through a company called Innatal, and their average patient cost is under $200. My doc said it would cost $99 out of pocket for us. We just want peace of mind bc we're nervous first time parents - if the results are low-risk or negative we can avoid stressing about more invasive test options later. Are all these super expensive options coming from other companies that do the testing?
    Most are $3k OOP
  • Options
    I’m doing mine next Thursday and I’m 28 years old.
  • Options
    ThePax89 said:
    If insurance I’ll cover it this time- I’m in. I’ve never done it before. 

Eta: I was told it was $350 out of pocket through Counsyl. TW(one of my losses was a confirmed trisomy, so I may be able to get coverage even though I am under 35). 
    Counsyl is what my OB office uses as well. They are in network for my insurance apparently but I am going to call and verify. I have disabled cousins and a niece with a chromosomal condition (Turner's) and I have had a loss, so they said it “wouldn’t be a bad idea.” If it’s less than $200 OOP, I’ll do it. If not, we’ll stick with the quad screen at 16w.
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    I just got back from my group appt where they told us it's $1300. I'll check with my insurance, but I doubt it'll be covered since I'm below 35. 1.3k is waaay too steep. Oh well.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    grebretso said:
    I just got back from my group appt where they told us it's $1300. I'll check with my insurance, but I doubt it'll be covered since I'm below 35. 1.3k is waaay too steep. Oh well.
    @grebretso - mine is covered at 80% and I’m under 35. There is hope!

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    @kayjay44 Ohh really? That's good news! My insurance is kind of shitty though, but I'll give them a call tomorrow. Also, my husband is 42, so maybe they'll take that into consideration.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Oh geeze @grebretso - that is steep. Fingers crossed your insurance can cover a good portion. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker